Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AnnaMNR

How many goldfish in a 75 gallon aquarium?

That's all I need to know! I am getting one this December ^^

From 1-4 easily

Just wanted to say you don't have to do 4 in a 75 lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

4 is the absolute max. However, 3 would be very happy in a 75 for their whole lifetime and less water changes. :)

I think 4 would be doable long term. 5 would be pushing it and would require a lot more maintenance than I'd recommend.

I have four in mine. So far not a problem but they are not huge goldfish yet.

I will have 5 soon in my 75 and am planning on huge water changes at least twice a week along with tons of filtration.

Wait why not 6 ? I thought 20 gal for the first fish and extra 10 gal for each additional fish ?

20=1

10=2

10=3

10=4

10=5

10=6

70 gal for 6 fancy fishies ?

Wait why not 6 ? I thought 20 gal for the first fish and extra 10 gal for each additional fish ?

20=1

10=2

10=3

10=4

10=5

10=6

The stocking guideline has been revised to more accurately reflect experience. With 20+10, it was not possible to do just 1 50-80% WC weekly and keep fish healthy and happy. Instead, it should really be more like 20 gallons/fish, although sometimes people do push it down to 15 gallons/fish. :)

20=1

10=2

10=3

10=4

10=5

10=6

That was an old rule. It's recommended 20g for the first fish and 15g for each additional fish. Goldfish can and will get big with proper care. A lot depends on genetics, water quality, and of course how you stock your tank. (understocked / overstocked)

20=1

35=2

50=3

65=4

80=5

I say up to 4 goldfish easy. :) You could possibly do 5 goldfish but to keep the param in check you'd have to do huge twice weekly water changes. You'd have to be up on your game all the time. I think 3 or 4 would look beautiful in a 75g tank.

Edit: Sorry Alex. :) Just noticed you above.

Edited by 4prettyfish

Is it a pretty rock? ha ha :)

You are welcomed.

:)

My tank technically calculates to hold around 78 gallons, so I have a tiny bit more wiggle room there too by keeping it barebottom and very full. I have very minimal decor taking up space. If I hadn't found a fish that needed a good home, I would have stuck with 4, though :)

I agree with others, technically 4. But as a fan of under stocking I vote 3 :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start with 2. Over time you will find 2 beautiful "must have" fish. You will be very sad if you are already maxed out and can't get them.

Now you know I live under a rock. Haha

Thanks Alex and 4PF

The rule is kinda new. When I started here (6 years ago) the rule was 20 gal for the 1st fish then 10 gal for each extra fish.

The rule only changed in the past year or two I think. At least, thats when I saw people posting 20 gallons per fish rule here.

Thanks Alex and 4PF

The rule is kinda new. When I started here (6 years ago) the rule was 20 gal for the 1st fish then 10 gal for each extra fish.

The rule only changed in the past year or two I think. At least, thats when I saw people posting 20 gallons per fish rule here.

... Now you know I REALLY live under a rock.

:D

Thanks Alex and 4PF

I think your right about the rule changing over the last year. I've only been on Koko's for 12 months and the rule of thumb then was 20 for first fish, 10 for each fish fish after that. It seemed like the rule of thumb changed to the 15g for 2nd fish pretty quick after I came on here.

Thanks Alex and 4PF

I think your right about the rule changing over the last year. I've only been on Koko's for 12 months and the rule of thumb then was 20 for first fish, 10 for each fish fish after that. It seemed like the rule of thumb changed to the 15g for 2nd fish pretty quick after I came on here.

Is there a thread or pinned article on this year update I don't see it anywhere on here nor the external links on the main site. Have they been edited ? Idk idk idk idk.

It was a process of evolution. Some of us pointed out how silly the popular rule of 20 gallons for the first fish and 10 for each additional fish is. A fish needs 20 gallons of water living by itself and only 11 gallons if living with 8 other fish. What's happening? Are the fish purifying water for one another?

Even funnier was the idea that this was true only for fancy goldfish. The old rule said long-bodied fish needed 20 gallons each no matter how many tank buddies they had. This in spite of the fact that many common goldfish -- but not fancies -- have survived for decades in bowls. People here are smart. They looked at the "rule" and saw it didn't make sense and changed it.

Thanks Alex and 4PF

Is there a thread or pinned article on this year update I don't see it anywhere on here nor the external links on the main site. Have they been edited ? Idk idk idk idk.

I'm not sure about an article or so called "update" that I've read about the changes but I did read something. It probably was in someone's thread/topic that he/she made and that person was wondering the same thing. How many fish in a **gallon tank. I just remember thinking the rule had changed and the gallons were increased.

Added: Again, I think this was around the time either just prior to me coming on Koko's and becoming a member or shortly sometime after I joined Koko's forum.

Edited by 4prettyfish

:rofl Sharon,

It is indeed an evolution, and I am sure that more things will change, as things change, including our knowledge, experience, and technology. For now, I am most comfortable recommending 20 gallons per fish given the usual 10x filtration, and once weekly 50-80% WC recommendation.

In addition to all this, I think that it's more ideal to have a minimum size tank of 40 gallons to keep goldfish. I'm sure a 20 gallon can work, but we are now talking ideals. :)

I have a 29g standard. I could see two fish living in it for some time. I will admit that some will out grow that but some will out grow a 55. So my openion would be a 29 gal as a starting min. I'm not sure on the true calculation of what it will hold. But with the 29 that would be 14.5/fish. Which I would find doable at 1 80% a week with 10x filtration. So I guess I find 15/fish a good min standard 20 being better and some may even grow to need 40 to them selves. It all comes down to the individual fish at some point. Just use your test kit it will tell you when its time to upgrade. Biologically speaking of course.