Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
phoebie

Help! I have eggs!

I found eggs in my tank! So far I have removed them and put them in a separate container, but what do I do? How long will it take for any fertilized eggs to hatch? This is my first experience with eggs so I'm slightly panicking, if any are fertilized I don't want to hurt them. I can just imagine the fry of Edie and Georgie being gorgeous and I don't want to kill them, please help! :o

I'm sure everyone has their own method, but I have always hatched my fry in a breeding cage (the netted style - with am extra net over the first one to stop the fish sucking the eggs through) in the main tank with the parents with a bubbler to keep the eggs moving. I remove any eggs that have turned white or have fungus growing on them, because this spreads to healthy eggs.

What temperature is your tank? The warmer it is, the sooner the eggs will hatch. Too cold and they'll go white and moldy. I have my tank on 26 degrees Celsius and my eggs hatch in 48 hours.

I have a small fry tank which I transfer the fry to once they are a little older and free moving (usually 3 days) but I was expecting fry and had the tank cycled and ready.

How many eggs do you have?

EDIT: My fry tank has a sponge filter in it turned down low, so it is safe for the fry. It also has a small heater in it set at the same temp as the tank they came from.

The water needs to be spot on too. No ammonia etc.

Edited by Scarlett

Thanks, my tank is at 26C, there's quite a lot of eggs, somewhere over 50 I think, I'm so excited, I reeeaaally hope some hatch :)

You can keep them in another container with a bubbler until they hatch, but the only problem with that is you cannot regulate the temperature. Can you source a breeding cage easily? Not the hard plastic ones. The slits are top big and the fry swim through.

This is my fry tank.

Posted Image

I have about 60 - 70 fry in there and do water changes every other day to keep the water clean and the bottom free of debris.

You'll only need to feed your fry on day three, but grab from frozen baby brine shrimp and some fry food so you're ready. You'll know if your eggs are fertile by tomorrow because you'll see little eyes and a spine looking at you.

Good luck!!!

Edited by Scarlett

These are my breeding cages that I use.

Posted Image

It's really important to have that second net or a piece of really thin breathable material over the bottom to stop the fish sucking the eggs through.

I can get necessities quite easily, thanks for the advice, fingers crossed and I'll keep you posted

Please post photos of the parents. It's such an exciting journey. Wishing you all the very best!!! :)

These are the parents, both Orandas. Georgie the father

HNI_0010_zps200eb4e1.jpg

And Edie the mother

Photo0538_zpse3b429ca.jpg

They're both stunning. You should get some beautiful babies. :)

You've already got some spot on good advice. Once the bad eggs start turning white I'd pull them out immediately. Also to stop the bad eggs from infecting the good eggs there's a product called methelyne blue. I use it and it works pretty well. If you've got any good eggs they should hatch with in a few days and like Scarlett said you should start feeding around day three when their egg sacs disappear

congrats on the eggs! You have already gotten good advice ;) Just to note, if you choose to use the methylene blue you would need to do it in a close separate container, not the breeder net.

Good luck! :thumbs: So exciting!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, I'm so excited to see if any hatch successfully :)

Congrats on the eggs! You have already gotten good advice ;) Just to note, if you choose to use the methylene blue you would need to do it in a close separate container, not the breeder net.

Good looking out ;) that was a big tid bit i left out

Just did a check up, seeing some little eyes appearing in quite a few :)

The less I have done to raise fry, the more successful I have been. I put them in a 15 gallon tank and do nothing with it for like 2 weeks other than add food and suck out debris off the bottom. Petco has a small pack of food called Firts Bites that seems to be a hit. Then I would do a small water change but be sure not to pour the water in on the fish. It can break their backs. So can the output of a filter. After a few weeks you could add a bubbler on its very lowest setting. I didn't add a filter for a good six weeks maybe more.

First bites are great I feed that the first week or two but I've had a lot better luck with frozen bbs they grew so much more with the bbs

Eggs are always so exciting! :) You have lots of great advice already. I wish you luck and can't wait to see the babies!

First bites are great I feed that the first week or two but I've had a lot better luck with frozen bbs they grew so much more with the bbs

What? Bigger fish!? Out of my way I have to get to the store!

I was feeding first bites and as soon as I switched to the frozen bbs within like two or three days the babies almost tripled in size. It was ridiculous. I'm not sure you'd have the same reaction to it lol but that's what happened for me

Were they fancies? Mine are growing very slow compared to the common fry I had before.

They're fantails

IMAG1824.jpg

This one is about seven weeks and about a half inch

Edited by katearei

Any little surprises yet?