Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Helen

Sad But True :( Bare Bottom Tanks Deprive Goldfish from Foraging :(

Helen, this just confirms to me that your fish are deprived. Look at their sad, mopy behavior. Those poor unhappy creatures. :rofl2 :rofl2 :rofl2 :rofl2

No, of course not. What I object to are the completely barren tanks that offer no stimulation for the fish. Also, I think that fish should have something in the tank -- plants, wood, an ornament, or something -- that gives them a place to rest or hide or hang out behind when they need it. I see that my fish tend to sleep in more hidden areas and bolt behind the driftwood when they are startled, and I believe that giving them something helps them feel secure.

My fish do forage through the sand, and I like providing that for them. But even more than sand, I believe they need plants (real or fake) or other objects. :)

I'm thinking about putting some golf balls in mine. Could be fun. Maybe ill make it a golf themed tank. Wait a minute... I don't even like golf. But I'm still gonna try the balls.

What about soccer? Lol

Edited by blackmoors

I'm thinking about putting some golf balls in mine. Could be fun. Maybe ill make it a golf themed tank. Wait a minute... I don't even like golf. But I'm still gonna try the balls.

DP, you know, I have a few bio balls in my tank.. they seem to love pushing those around.. here is a video I posted recently. one photo shows one of my chu's messing around with a bio ball (it's a compiled bunch of still pics) go to 2:02.. I am a little concerned about golf balls as I had a friend who used them as a water feature. they always stank of melting plastic, I am not sure if they are safe for a goldfish aquarium.

My phone won't let me watch those links but I will check them out when I get on my laptop!

I really love that driftwood, is it real or fake? Where did you get it? Anywhere I could find it? :)

thanks hun, plants and driftwood are real :) since I am in AU, I don't really know where to direct you. perhaps you can check the planted tank forum out? I am sure that members discuss their place of purchase for all their beautiful plants :)

I never felt my fish were bored with barebottom but I do enjoy watching them spit the sand all over themselves and each other and all over the plants ;)

But yes the did still keep pretty busy even with the tank bare bottom :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Hmm. How did I miss this fun video? Your fish looked to be on a mission and wasn't about to stop at anytime soon. :) ha ha

I absolutely love your tank Helen. I love the hugeness of it and the huge lush green plants on your driftwood. It's all beautiful.

Your huge gorgeous fish balance it all out also. :) One of these days I may try live plants again on a big piece of driftwood.

Right now though I spent too much money on my artificial plants (:)) and am trying to play catch up on my bills. Who knows. Maybe the beginning of next year.

They look very happy! As Alex said, there's a big difference between your tanks and BB tanks where there is really nothing to do. Having live plants makes a lot of difference too--they seem more interested in the live ones, even if not actively eating them, than in plastic (and I'm adding some live ones for that reason).

And it depends on the fish. Mine really DID seem upset when they lost their substrate. And I missed seeing them picking it up and spitting it out all the time. Once they got sand, they seemed to relax. Perhaps it's a single-tailed thing? Or perhaps it's just me. ;)