Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tarannosaurus

Recovering from fin rot and wen problems

Alright, it's done. She's back in the main tank now. She seems really groggy but I guess that's to be expected.

Monster is still eating, but he got another spot on his face today. It looks just like the last one he got.

Let me know how those spots look in a day or so. I don't plan on recommending the betadine again, since it's really something to be done just once. However, if it doesn't look like it will improve, we will strategize for something else. Hopefully, we will not need to do that. :)

Okay. The spot on her side looks much better but that black streak on her fin still looks pretty bad. Her behavior is back to normal.

Here is a video update of Monster:

th_20131004_1355041_zpsa4c3c13e.jpg

I think I will do a Prazi treatment for the main tank once he goes back. To me, it looks like he's flashing a little bit. It's been a few months since the last treatment anyway. What do you think?

Edited by tarannosaurus

I think that's a great idea. :)

I would like to propose that you do a 3% salt dip right before the round of no salt prazi. This way, you can help that fin along with the dip, as well as strip the slime coat for more effective prazi treatment.

I think that's a great idea. :)

I would like to propose that you do a 3% salt dip right before the round of no salt prazi. This way, you can help that fin along with the dip, as well as strip the slime coat for more effective prazi treatment.

A salt dip for who? Also, please provide detailed instructions on how to do that as I have never done a salt dip before.

Could you also tell me or link me a prazi schedule with no salt? I have a lot of live plants and I don't want to harm them.

What do you think about him going back into the main tank tomorrow? Tomorrow will be two weeks of Metro-Meds. He's been getting about 40 pellets every day.

I'm just stepping in to say, COME ON MONSTER and WOW to the mods. I'm always so impressed when I read these threads. I really hope I'll never be on the "HELP MY FISH" end of one of these threads, but OMG I'm so grateful that you guys are here, so smart, and so ready to help just in case I am! :)

I'm just stepping in to say, COME ON MONSTER and WOW to the mods. I'm always so impressed when I read these threads. I really hope I'll never be on the "HELP MY FISH" end of one of these threads, but OMG I'm so grateful that you guys are here, so smart, and so ready to help just in case I am! :)

It really looked like we were going to lose him there. But he pulled through and I'm very grateful for the helpful input on here and the Metro-Meds too. Thank you.

So, here's the plan that I would like to recommend, based on your feedback.

- Do nothing until you've moved him back to the main tank, which should be 1 day after you stop the Metro-Meds.

- Do a salt dip tomorrow or the next day while he is still in QT, and with Metro-Meds.

- Then, on the day that you decide to move him back to the main tank. Do a huge WC, add prazi. Give him another salt dip, and add him back to the main tank.

- One week later, repeat the process of WC, and prazi treatment, and salt dip. Other fish can be dipped as well, if you like.

- Do two more weekly rounds of prazi (total of four), but the last two do not require salt dips.

- Prazi is plants friendly, so you need do nothing. :)

SALT DIP
1. dissolve 30 teaspoons salt/gallon of water (30 grams/Liter, or 113.7g/gallon). This concentration is 3%. Let it match the temp/pH of the tank, and make sure to add de-chlorinator. You can also use tank water, but because you are adding a lot of salt per gallon, you will need to heat up the water. Hence, it's crucial that you cool it back down.
2. prepare a holding tank. This is a tank that is pH/temp matched with the main tank, and has been de-chlorinated. This can be a 5 gallon tub, with bubblestone, or something bigger.
3. make sure you have some sort of timer
4. gently lift the fish out of the tank, and place into temp/pH matched salt solution.
5. start timer.
6. if the fish stays continues to stay upright, or tilts over but can get back up, keep him/her in the salt solution for exactly 5 minutes.
7. remove fish from the salt, and place in holding tank. The reason why we do this is to: 1) give the fish a place to recover by him/herself, and 2)to let the fish purge out ammonia/wastes in a place that is not the main tank.
8. if the fish starts to lose balance and cannot get back before the minutes, remove him/her and place in holding tank, as described in #6.
9. after 1-2 hours, the fish can be moved back to the main tank. He/She might still be disoriented, but should be fine.

Help! I did the salt dip and he started bleeding out of both of his gills! He's not moving at all!

He was doing so much better! I did exactly what you said and he turned a weird color and started bleeding and now he's gone. He was doing so well. :(

Did you put him into the fresh water after the salt dip? He may revive! Worth a shot.

:( So sorry this happened.

Edited by Red

Yes he's in fresh water. No movement. Upside down. Devastated doesn't even begin to describe how I feel right now.

He was doing so much better! He was going to go back into the main tank tomorrow! I feel like I killed him after everything he went through.

No sign of life at all? Is there an airstone in the water? Can you gently open his gills to help get water.oxygen through them. Try moving him gently back & forth. I don't know...

I'm so sad for you.

He's gone. No movement at all. He's lying on the bottom of the QT tank bleeding out of his gills.

So, here's the plan that I would like to recommend, based on your feedback.

- Do nothing until you've moved him back to the main tank, which should be 1 day after you stop the Metro-Meds.

- Do a salt dip tomorrow or the next day while he is still in QT, and with Metro-Meds.

- Then, on the day that you decide to move him back to the main tank. Do a huge WC, add prazi. Give him another salt dip, and add him back to the main tank.

- One week later, repeat the process of WC, and prazi treatment, and salt dip. Other fish can be dipped as well, if you like.

- Do two more weekly rounds of prazi (total of four), but the last two do not require salt dips.

- Prazi is plants friendly, so you need do nothing. :)

SALT DIP

1. dissolve 30 teaspoons salt/gallon of water (30 grams/Liter, or 113.7g/gallon). This concentration is 3%. Let it match the temp/pH of the tank, and make sure to add de-chlorinator. You can also use tank water, but because you are adding a lot of salt per gallon, you will need to heat up the water. Hence, it's crucial that you cool it back down.

2. prepare a holding tank. This is a tank that is pH/temp matched with the main tank, and has been de-chlorinated. This can be a 5 gallon tub, with bubblestone, or something bigger.

3. make sure you have some sort of timer

4. gently lift the fish out of the tank, and place into temp/pH matched salt solution.

5. start timer.

6. if the fish stays continues to stay upright, or tilts over but can get back up, keep him/her in the salt solution for exactly 5 minutes.

7. remove fish from the salt, and place in holding tank. The reason why we do this is to: 1) give the fish a place to recover by him/herself, and 2)to let the fish purge out ammonia/wastes in a place that is not the main tank.

8. if the fish starts to lose balance and cannot get back before the minutes, remove him/her and place in holding tank, as described in #6.

9. after 1-2 hours, the fish can be moved back to the main tank. He/She might still be disoriented, but should be fine.

Don't tell me... You meant THREE and not THIRTY.

30 TEASPOONS in one gallon of water is correct. Or weighing out 30 grams of salt per liter (113.7 grams/US gallon). Fully dissolved in heated tank (or de-chlorinated) water and cooled to match tank temp and PH matched.

Edited by Red

I really don't know. However, I search the internet, and changing colour, listing (but righting himself withing a few seconds), slime coat shedding, is all normal. Even bleeding can happen. Some fish handle dips better than others. Reviving is possible by doing what I suggested, helping get water back to the gills, moving the fish in water, etc.

I hope Dnalex finds the time to come give you some words of advice and compassion....

Edited by Red

I read through the entire thread and wanted to tell you that you are a wonderful fish mommy for working so hard to get your fish better. :rip:

This fish seemed to be having cascading health issues for a while now, since he was getting better Alex was confident that he could handle a full dip. Unfortunately we don't always know what's going on inside a fish without detailed microscope investigations.

I think when there are cascading issues like these fish have been having the water they live and breathe need to be looked at carefully. When you use RO water you need to be adding minerals back into the water. Were you doing that? I see there were several mentions of getting a kit to test your gh/kh and using baking soda to keep your pH stable. I think this is still a very important step. Were you able to do that at any point?

I am not trying to sound accusatory. We get the water we get and we have to work with what we got. Some people only have to dechlor innate their water and do not have to worry about any of the extra stuff and others have to go to great lengths to get the right water for their fish to thrive in.

It seems even though this fish was having a good day on the outside, that may not have been the case on the inside. I am so sorry for your loss, I've also lost a fish that was a strong fighter, he fooled me into thinking he could always hold on no matter what. I was saddened when he passed as you are now. :hug

I read through the entire thread and wanted to tell you that you are a wonderful fish mommy for working so hard to get your fish better. :rip:

This fish seemed to be having cascading health issues for a while now, since he was getting better Alex was confident that he could handle a full dip. Unfortunately we don't always know what's going on inside a fish without detailed microscope investigations.

I think when there are cascading issues like these fish have been having the water they live and breathe need to be looked at carefully. When you use RO water you need to be adding minerals back into the water. Were you doing that? I see there were several mentions of getting a kit to test your gh/kh and using baking soda to keep your pH stable. I think this is still a very important step. Were you able to do that at any point?

I am not trying to sound accusatory. We get the water we get and we have to work with what we got. Some people only have to dechlor innate their water and do not have to worry about any of the extra stuff and others have to go to great lengths to get the right water for their fish to thrive in.

It seems even though this fish was having a good day on the outside, that may not have been the case on the inside. I am so sorry for your loss, I've also lost a fish that was a strong fighter, he fooled me into thinking he could always hold on no matter what. I was saddened when he passed as you are now. :hug

Thank you for your comments. Especially about being a good fish mommy. :)

I had to buy a reverse osmosis system because the nitrates in my tap are something astronomical like 60 ppm. Even after RO, a small level of nitrates remains. I complained to the water company about it, and they told me that I am wrong. I filled my aquarium with live plants to help with this issue. I have done my best to make it right.

I did purchase baking soda and a gh/kh test kit. Monster was already in QT at this point, and I didn't want to stress him even more by changing the pH in his hospital tank. That was the only reason I didn't do anything with the baking soda yet. I didn't want him to deal with another major change while he was still recovering.

I did some research this morning, and could not find anything about the reaction he had to the salt dip. This makes me believe it was some other pre-existing condition too.

Oh, no. I'm so so sorry. :(

There have been two incidents where the goldfish would bleed out during a salt dip. I know that this is not what you want to hear, but I think that this is actually a big indication that his gills have really badly infected, and while it did appear as though he was getting better, I think he would have declined again, as soon as the meds are stopped, or even during.

I think the reason the fish bled was due to the salt making the flukes release their holds within the gills, and with a big infestation, I don't know that there was anyway we could have stopped it. :(

I'm sorry I didn't get on sooner. I have been really busy with work, and did not pay attention to the threads until Red notified me.

Again, I am so sorry. You made a heroic effort, and I really wish things had turned out differently. :(