Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tarannosaurus

Recovering from fin rot and wen problems

hun, have you not noticed that dark colour in his mouth before? some fish do have a dark mouth passage. do you actually recall seeing it previously and notice such a difference now?

I read back a little, I am confident that the next step is to treat the maracyn product. if you are ok to do so, please commence treatment as per the manufacturers instructions..

I don't think it was there before but I could be wrong.

This happened so fast. It looked like he was getting better. :(

hang in there hun :hug lets hope the Maracyn might bring us some good progress :)

I've managed to get him to eat a little; he's had about 20 pellets of Metro-Meds today. I have been feeding him a few at a time every couple of hours.

Do you guys think it is it okay to do daily water changes with Maracyn in the water if I just add it again? I just want to do as many water changes as possible to keep the water clean and to remove uneaten food. The package says "... empty one packet directly into aquarium. Repeat dose after 24 hours. Wait another 24 hours then change 25% of the aquarium water. Repeat this treatment for a second time, for a total of 4 doses."

Actually, if you are able to get him to eat, then I wouldn't worry about the Maracyn for now. Keep it handy, but do the WCs as you plan. :)

Actually, if you are able to get him to eat, then I wouldn't worry about the Maracyn for now. Keep it handy, but do the WCs as you plan. :)

So the Metro-Meds would be more helpful than anything in the water and and better than both Maracyn and Metro-Meds together?

It's not more helpful, but it is stronger than the Maracyn. :)

I think with Maracyn added, it would be too much.

Okay. I'll continue with that then. I'm going to do a water change now.

All of his fins are very red. Some places are very tattered. His face looks like it's lost color. Like he's pale. It really hurts me to see him like this. :(

Poor guy. It takes about 24-48 hours for the meds to get working, so hopefully we will see a big improvement soon!

Wow. He looks so much better today. He is up and swimming around, the redness in his fins are almost completely gone. What an improvement. He ate about 10 pellets of Metro-Meds this morning. I'm shooting for 40.

I wouldn't say he is out of the woods yet though. He is still really thin and his fins did take some damage. Maybe he has some kind of internal parasite?

I think it's safe to say that he has some sort of internal infection, and the fact that MMs helped narrows it down to a parasite or bacterium. However, short of other work ups, we can't really say much more than that..

I am glad he is improving. Please note how many days and how much MMs he has gotten, and let us review carefully before stopping the med food, OK? :D

Alright. It says on the bag to continue with Metro-Meds for two weeks. So I'll get back to you after that unless anything new develops.

He has a white spot on his cheek today, but I think it's just normal wen growth. It's not red at all.

The MMs need not be stopped at exactly 2 weeks. That is really the minimum time, while maximum time is around 30 days, which we also want to avoid. So, let's evaluate at 14 days and see. :)

Back to my pH problems, I've been using Seachem alkaline buffer to raise it but I have to use a lot and it's expensive. How do people use crushed coral to help with pH?

Your better bet is baking soda.

I have found that while crushed coral is a very good buffer, it really is limited by how fast it dissolves, which is not very fast to be as effective as it could be.

Alright so how much should I add to my aquarium and do I only add it after water changes?

Alright so how much should I add to my aquarium and do I only add it after water changes?

You need to invest in a gH and kH kit (they come together, sold by API I think). Then you check your kH. The ideal kH (to me) is around 150ppm (100-150 is OK), so then you figure out how many ppms you need raise. After that, you come to the link about baking soda in my sig, and there are tables telling you exactly how much you need to add.

When you do water changes, you recheck the kH and add back accordingly. After a few times of doing this, you will have an idea of how much to add with each WC, so that you won't have to check all the time. :)

Monster (the big blue oranda) is doing much better. It will be two weeks of Metro-Meds on Saturday.

My other oranda, Mushu, has developed a spot on her side and the black on her fin is not going away.

20130930_1528021_zps2f832a96.jpg

Do you have betadine? I'd like for you to swab those spots, exactly once.

Most ideally, I'd like for you to do this under anesthesia, so that the fish can be swabbed and stay out of the water for a few minutes. If not, swab, and keep the fish out of the water for about 30 seconds or so.

Do you have betadine? I'd like for you to swab those spots, exactly once.

Most ideally, I'd like for you to do this under anesthesia, so that the fish can be swabbed and stay out of the water for a few minutes. If not, swab, and keep the fish out of the water for about 30 seconds or so.

Okay can I get betadine at the pharmacy? Also what anesthesia do I use and how?

I have clove oil. Should I use that to put her under anesthesia? I don't want to overdose.

Perfect. Betadine is the same stuff you use for humans. :)

To anesthetize, use about 10 drops per gallon of tank or dechlorinated water. Mix very well before adding the fish. As soon as he goes under, take him out and dab him with the betadine. He should wake up not long after (30s or so).

Good luck!