Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tarannosaurus

Recovering from fin rot and wen problems

Okay he has been in quarantine for two days. He is so lethargic. Here are some photos of his face as well as a video of his swimming. He has long clear/white poop with some food color in it.

20130919_1352161_zps85d0cb40.jpg

It looks like there is some redness deep in the tissue.

20130919_1352071_zps74c1d3b2.jpg

The spot isn't red at all.

20130919_1351501_zps265db83c.jpg

th_20130919_1401481_zps30485dd3.jpg

The last link is a video.

Edited by tarannosaurus

He is beautiful. I hope he feels better soon.

The spot looks great, and looks like it's healing up.

Is he eating? If he is, we might have to start him on a course of antibiotic yet again, because I think his infection may have gone systemic. I really really hate to do it though.

Do you have a video of him swimming (or not)?

Yeah, he's crazy about food. The blurry photo at the end is actually a video.

This doesn't look good. He looks really limp and is resting in a strange vertical position. I moved him and he floated for a little bit but then he just went back to that position. His gills are moving very slowly.

I'm going to do a water change now.

His gills are moving very slowly. One of his pectoral fins looks tattered. He's lying almost motionless in the corner.

I'm sorry I've been so busy I didn't see get to come on here until now. Please start him on Metro-Meds if you have any. If you don't, please let me know by way of what you have in terms of medications.

Hang in there. I'm sorry. :(

I have Metro-Meds and I also have Medi-Gold. He is still in 0.04% salt; is that okay?

Is he able to eat the MMs? Please remove the salt.

Okay I will do a quick water change now and see if he will eat.

Good luck!

It looks really bad guys. He's losing color and is bleeding in more places. He won't eat. I think he's dying. :(

Poor guy :(

I doubt he's going to eat anything at this point. If you can (and would like to), let's try to find Maracyn (active ingredient erythromycin) and treat his water.

If they sell it at local fish stores I will get some tomorrow if you think it could help him.

If they sell it at local fish stores I will get some tomorrow if you think it could help him.

To be honest, I don't know that it will, but it's one of the things that might. I think that his previous problems never truly went away completely, and finally led to an internal infection.

The erythromycin/Maracyn is broad spectrum, and so is a good choice. I think they even have it at Petsmart, but you might want to check first.

I'm sorry. I wish I had much more optimistic words for you, but I want to be forthright. :hug

a forum friend managed to get Maracyn products from Petsmart, this was over a year ago, I don't know if they still carry it, but you can try calling around the Pestmart stores for starters to see if they still have it... the store was somewhere in PA..

I got some at a local fish store this morning. I already put it in the tank. His condition is about the same as last night. He ate a couple of Metro-Meds pellets. I noticed the inside of his mouth is a weird dark color.

Please tell me if there is anything else I can do.

unfortunately those meds are not available here in AU, so I have no experience with them. as I have not read back & just noticed the Maracyn recommendation on the fly and offered my opinion as to where you might be able to find it., I am not aware if your fish is isolated in a hospital tank. I expect that Alex is going to ask you to treat the Maracyn product recommended. if your fish IS in a hospital tank, I would recommend that before you commence treatment, to make a very large water change and then begin treating with the product as per manufacturers instructions on the packaging.

you mention a weird dark colour in the mouth. can you describe that some more or perhaps provide a photo or short video of it?

unfortunately those meds are not available here in AU, so I have no experience with them. as I have not read back & just noticed the Maracyn recommendation on the fly and offered my opinion as to where you might be able to find it., I am not aware if your fish is isolated in a hospital tank. I expect that Alex is going to ask you to treat the Maracyn product recommended. if your fish IS in a hospital tank, I would recommend that before you commence treatment, to make a very large water change and then begin treating with the product as per manufacturers instructions on the packaging.

you mention a weird dark colour in the mouth. can you describe that some more or perhaps provide a photo or short video of it?

Yeah, he's been in a hospital tank for the past three days. I treated the water with 0.04% salt for the first couple of days. I changed the water 100% at 3:00 am and another 75% about an hour ago.

It looks like he's gasping now. His breaths are really heavy. I'll take a picture of the dark color in his mouth.