Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tarannosaurus

Recovering from fin rot and wen problems

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0 ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 25
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0 (With reverse osmosis)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0 (With reverse osmosis)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 5-10 (With reverse osmosis)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.4
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API MTK
      • * Water temperature? 68 F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallons, about 2 years
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval 305, AquaClear 110 and AquaClear 20 (The AC 20 is on the main tank so it stays cycled when I need it for quarantine.)
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly, 100%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 4 days ago, 100%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 fancies, about 2.5 to 6 inches (body only)
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, and salt the past two water changes
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Pro-Gold daily, baby spinach and peas weekly
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Small ranchu about a month ago
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Mela Fix the past two water changes
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Completed prazi rounds, Medi-Gold and API Fungus Cure a couple of months ago

You can look at my first thread here:

Hello everyone. My two orandas seem to be doing much better now. Switching to reverse osmosis really helped.

I just wanted to post an update and make sure there is nothing else I can do to help these guys recover.

This is a photo of my orange oranda from July:

20130708_121721_zps0d81704a.jpg

And here she is now:

20130904_155039_zpsfe7495ac.jpg

My blue oranda started getting some fin rot too but here he is now: (Fin rot occured where the tail splits.)

20130904_155251_zps29517bcd.jpg

This is what his wen looked like in July:

20130708_121551_zps9191dfed.jpg

And this is what he looks like today:

20130904_160137_zps23803645.jpg

:hi

I'm glad to see that things are looking up! Couple suggestions/questions:

I'd like to see you get your nitrates down and your pH up. Shoot for your nitrates below 20 and pH close to 7 or higher. Good ole WCs will get your nitrates down. If you need help with raising the pH, let us know. :D

I'm not a huge fan of Melafix. I'm asssuming you're using it for the fin rot? I think clean water and perhaps 0.1% salt goes a lot further in treating fin rot than Melafix . . .

Do you have a way to test your KH/GH? :idont

I don't have a way of testing those right now, but I do have Seachem alkaline and acid buffers. Would that work for the pH?

Yes, I was using the Mela Fix for the fin rot. And I have been adding 11 tablespoons of salt.

Glad your Oranda's are doing better.

I don't have a way of testing those right now, but I do have Seachem alkaline and acid buffers. Would that work for the pH?

Yes, I was using the Mela Fix for the fin rot. And I have been adding 11 tablespoons of salt.

the seachem alkaline buffer should work fine. The acid one is designed to lower pH so you wouldn't want to use that one.

The other thing you can use is plain old baking soda http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/110296-stabilizing-your-tank-ph-with-sodium-bicarbonate-baking-soda/

how long have you been using the salt for now?

I've only used the salt for the past two water changes. Is 11 tablespoons enough to make it 0.1%?

I've only used the salt for the past two water changes. Is 11 tablespoons enough to make it 0.1%?

To get to .1 % you need 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon. When you do your water changes replace the amount of salt you took out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright sounds like a plan. How long should I continue to use salt?

Lets start with a week. Keep us updated and let us know how things are at the end of that period :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay I will get back to you then.

Oh, and I have live plants in my aquarium and I plan on getting more to help with the nitrates. I'm not sure if that is worth mentioning, but I thought I should in case they would be affected by any treatment.

Edited by tarannosaurus

My blue oranda still has red streaks in his fins. Why do you think this is? The other oranda has that dark spot on the side of her tail fin. I'm not sure what that is. It's more black than red.

Some of the red streaks will be a permanent feature, unfortunately. We just don't want them to be really large and angry looking.

Okay, thanks for getting back to me. Based on the damage seen above, do you think their fins will grow back? Assuming I maintain good water quality of course.

He's (the blue oranda) been sitting on the bottom a lot the past couple of days. But he always moves when I approach the tank, so I don't know if he's just being lazy. Another spot appeared on his face yesterday. He's eating fine and his poop looked normal the last time I saw it.

Is there redness near the spot? It kind of looks like it in the photo but it's a little difficult to tell. :idont

Okay, thanks for getting back to me. Based on the damage seen above, do you think their fins will grow back? Assuming I maintain good water quality of course.

He's (the blue oranda) been sitting on the bottom a lot the past couple of days. But he always moves when I approach the tank, so I don't know if he's just being lazy. Another spot appeared on his face yesterday. He's eating fine and his poop looked normal the last time I saw it.

Your Blue Oranda is gorgeous. I love his big full wen. I'm sorry he's not doing well at this time. It is not normal for a fish to be bottom sitting. I don't think he's being lazy. I think he's not feeling well. Could it be the high nitrates, the red mark on his cheek, both, or another reason? I'll let a Mod help you with that. I do hope he will be okay soon.

I have a fish that hasn't been well also and he comes to greet me when he see's me get near the qt tank.(sometimes) But when he thinks I'm not watching he is bottom sitting in a corner of the tank usually. :(

Your Blue Oranda is gorgeous. I love his big full wen. I'm sorry he's not doing well at this time. It is not normal for a fish to be bottom sitting. I don't think he's being lazy. I think he's not feeling well. Could it be the high nitrates, the red mark on his cheek, both, or another reason? I'll let a Mod help you with that. I do hope he will be okay soon.

I have a fish that hasn't been well also and he comes to greet me when he see's me get near the qt tank.(sometimes) But when he thinks I'm not watching he is bottom sitting in a corner of the tank usually. :(

:) Thanks for the kind words. It's sad that my handsome guy isn't feeling well. I really hope your fish starts feeling better soon too.

Can you get some Medi-Gold and/or Kanaplex?

I already have Medi-Gold from when I treated him a couple of months ago. Should I quarantine him?

Is there redness near the spot? It kind of looks like it in the photo but it's a little difficult to tell. :idont

Yes, it is a little red.

Let's QT, and bring salt immediately to 0.4% for 2 days. Then we decide if Medi-Gold is necessary. :)

Let's QT, and bring salt immediately to 0.4% for 2 days. Then we decide if Medi-Gold is necessary. :)

Okay, to get to 0.4% you add 4 teaspoons per gallon?

Okay, to get to 0.4% you add 4 teaspoons per gallon?

Yes, 4 level teaspoons.

If you are using very fine salt then only 3. :)

Just in case you are wondering, I am trying to avoid having to medicate him again.

Okay, I will quarantine him today.

The other oranda has that black mark almost all the way down her fin now. I don't know what to make of it. Also, she has been nipping at the boys. I have never seen her do that before. She was picking on my floaty telescope a few days ago and then the blue oranda last night. She kept going for his rear. What's that about? I didn't see any damage on anyone.