Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Hyde

Are pease okay as part of a daily diet?

Hi.

I think I'm getting the hang of dealing with my fish and their floating issue; peas an hour or two after eating, depending on when they start to to show signs of floating.

It works well enough.

My question is if it's okay to include peas as a consistent part of their daily diet?

Particularly, since one of the two doesn't have much of an issue with floating...noticed that one had a ridiculously long poop trailing it the colour of the food it eats, shortly after the peas it had.

Thanks.

You can feed daily, if you like. :)

Great.

Thanks Alex.

:)

I always give peas to my goldfish diet :D

Yummo!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

ours get peas in their regular diet rotation.

fwiw I've read peas sometimes can stop working for constipation. This actually happened to one of our telescopes in the past. For another constipation remedy we've found that blanched fresh baby spinach has been the ultimate secret weapon...in case you'd like to have an alternate in your "aquarium armamentarium" (lol)

Best wishes!

ours get peas in their regular diet rotation.

fwiw I've read peas sometimes can stop working for constipation. This actually happened to one of our telescopes in the past. For another constipation remedy we've found that blanched fresh baby spinach has been the ultimate secret weapon...in case you'd like to have an alternate in your "aquarium armamentarium" (lol)

Best wishes!

Steve, we actually don't think that peas are the best for constipation, and while blanched spinach is good, there are others that are just as good, or even better, such as green beans, and raw red leaf lettuce (no blanching necessary)!

Welcome to Koko's! :)

Like you, I have a variety of fish. One floats, one sinks and floats alternately and one who's not effected much.

Like Alex said there are a variety of veggies that can help the different issues. I find personally that for the floater maybe only half a pea a day but better yet, zuchini, squash, carrots, seaweed, help to combat floatiness. My sinker does better with the peas, green beans, lima beans etc. In a way, those veggies actually help him float. I know lettuce is good too, I just haven't tried it yet. I find the seaweed, zuchini and squash to be kind of neutral in that they don't make any of them float.

Just experiment with some different ones and you'll find a good solution. Possibly cut back on how many times a day you feed pellets etc also.

Or..smaller meals throughout the day if you can.

Thank you everyone, these are all very helpful suggestions.

I appreciate them all.

Another great food I have had tremendous success with is cooked, mushy pumpkin (not the pie filling). Whenever peas haven't worked, the pumpkin has been a life saver…literally. Cucumbers as well.

Another great food I have had tremendous success with is cooked, mushy pumpkin (not the pie filling). Whenever peas haven't worked, the pumpkin has been a life saver…literally. Cucumbers as well.

Thanks, I hadn't considered either of those.

The cucumber...you give the inside without the peel, I assume?

Thanks, I hadn't considered either of those.

The cucumber...you give the inside without the peel, I assume?

You slice them as thin as possible making sure they will hold up to some mushiness and munching. I peel them, but some don't. Boil it until it is sort of translucent, then hang it on a suction cup with a metal hook. They will munch on it for ten or fifteen minutes, then take it out. You can also use gravel to weigh it down to the bottom. If it is floating around each bite will push it away (it is kinda funny though).