Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tarannosaurus

Habitual air sucking

Haha I know! That face looks like he does it on purpose! It's a lifestyle he's chosen and I don't feel bad for him.

I try to keep spinach in the tank and I do soak his food. Is it okay to feed peas every day? I haven't thought of floating plants before.

Peas should not be fed daily to a fish without floaty problems. But I think in your case, it's probably necessary. There was actually a thread started on this not too long ago: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/113147-are-pease-okay-as-part-of-a-daily-diet/ It does not have to be that much, either. Just enough to cure the floatiness. You can switch it up here and then, with green beans and blanched spinach, but peas generally work the best. It's recommended for goldfish you feed small amounts 3-6x daily, more importantly for fancies since they struggle with irregularity in their digestive tract from large meals. You can even split the daily pea intake into 2 separate feedings to keep him less floaty throughout the day. Does he expel the air he gulps? Surface gulping does not necessarily mean they are looking for food. Goldfish sometimes gulp air to regulate their swim bladder. However, since you say he does it all day, this may contribute to the problem.

Can you give us a brief summary of what you feed, how much of it, and how often? Some foods make some fish floaty, and it's simply a trial-and-error thing to see which food it is.

I appreciate that you guys want to help. He's either sucking air or floating. That's all there is to him. I really do want to help him if there is a way.

I feed all of my fish soaked Pro-Gold daily. I feed peas at least weekly. Sometimes there are bubbles in his poop.

I agree that there is probably not much that you should do in terms of intervention at this point. :)

Sorry you are going thru this I know how hard & frustrating it is!!! My heart goes out to you.

Okay this really is an every day thing now. He's always upside down by nighttime.

I've heard that salt will cure floatiness, but I don't think I should be using it every day. Does anyone have any other suggestions other than feeding peas every day?

Thanks for the help guys, I'm just getting disheartened because one of my orandas has started pecking at him. I wish there was a way to get him to stop sucking air. I really believe his bad habit is the cause for the floatiness. It's hard to feed peas multiple times during the day because I have to go to work. He's usually already floating by the time I get home. Is it really okay to just leave him like that? :(

Try leaving a leaf of blanched baby spinach or part of a leaf of blanched kale in the tank every day for them to graze on. You can use a veggie clip and suction it to the tank wall. It will be a laxative as well as simulate natural grazing behaviors. That way you can feed pellets and know he knows where to get more greens.

-Using Tapatalk.