Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Maroula

Changing present water conditioner to Prime

Hi everyone! I have been busy reading the last couple of days and am on information overload. I am having a slight issue with my comet but before asking questions I need to get the APT master test kit as I only have the strips and I don't really like them.

Right now I use API products to condition the water (and too many of them I think) and want to switch to Prime. Is this going to be a problem? I changed out about 25% of the water yesterday. How soon is soon enough to start using Prime when I get it? We also have low pH in our tap so I use API proper pH 7.0 (all I can get locally) every time I change the water.

Thanks for all your help. :)

Should be able to start using prime when you do your next water change.

You shouldn't have a problem switching to Prime right away.

I'm glad you will be getting the API master test kit as it is much more accurate than the strips. If you've only tested your tap pH with the strips, you may find that the tap pH isn't as low as you thought. :D

Once you have your test kit, test your water (tank and tap), post your parameters and all the products you are using in your tank and perhaps we can eliminate any unnecessary products. And start a thread in the Disease section for any trouble you're having with your comet.

And welcome to Kokos! :D

Thank you very much for such quick responses! Going out now to get the kit. :)

Just wait until you have the drop test kit...you'll feel like a mad scientist! MUAHAHA!

:hi and prime rocks! Use is as soon as you like! :)

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

I hope your fish will be okay. You will love your api test kit and prime.

Thanks everyone for your help! I am glad I got the kit, I did not like the numbers. I usually shop at Petsmart for supplies but to find someone knowledgeable to get answers on questions that I have is difficult. I have found a local petstore that specializes in fish and found a very helpful gentleman. I will post in a bit my problems.

Yes, locally owned stores that specialize in fish are going to be much more reliable than Petsmart. Every once in a while you will find someone that knows their stuff at Petsmart. I'm still looking for that person. :o

I posted under the Disease Diagnosis forum, Comet not eating/pooping. Thanks again!

I would recommend that you use baking soda, instead of proper pH. There is a link to the article I wrote, and more information. :)