Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DieselPlower

The "I should have listened but I didn't" thread.

More than once I've seen people give good advice and it just gets blown off, only to find the person regrets it later. Heck, I've done it more than once. Maybe if we compile all of them in one location it will be more impactfull in the future.

"Be careful about what size rocks you use as substrate, it could get stuck in your fishes mouth and they could die." Yep, been there, done that. One of my big Orandas had a decent size rock stuck in it's mouth. It was in there for a good while. I watched for a bit as it struggled to get it out, but with no success. I grabbed the fish and tried to help it get the rock out but didn't have the right tool. Once I put it back in the water it shook around a bit and it came out.

"Use caution when having ornaments in your tank that could injure your fish"

Sure as heck I get home today and am like hey where is my orange oranda? I cant find it anywhere. So I look inside the top of one of my ornaments and there I can see it's face. It was totally stuck up in there and no way was it getting itself out. It wasn't even moving. I imagine it was very tired from trying to get out for what could have been ALL DAY for all I know. I picked up the ornament and the fish was able to get out but it not has a lot of body damage. Great!

Heres another one that I dont hear much but "make sure your fish doesn't get its face stuck to the intake of your filter". I changed the water and knocked off the intake baffle without realizing it. I was outside and was notified by someone else in the house the my fishs face was stuck to the filter. I asked what part and they said basically the mouth. The fish was dead from infection a few days later.

Got anything to add? Please do

I sure do!

www.kokosgoldfish.com

All the info you need in one easy place. :)

Oh lord, have I had so many moments like these. Both in and out of goldfish keeping. My worst time of not listening:

"With four fish in a 29G, you are overstocked. Don't buy any more,even if one dies."

I was stupid, didn't listen. I had 5 2.5" fish in one of my 29Gs at one point. It took me losing my favorite - and very first- goldfish before this one stuck in my head. I feel horrible and quite stupid for not listening to this in the first place. :c

Nice thread! Before I found Kokos I had no clue about stocking and though if they fit and could move were fine. Seven commons in a 20 gallon, no big deal they look good! Well, two years and five fatalities later, I finally started doing the research. Now I have three survivors in a 55 gallon with $500 worth of filtration and still feel I am over stocked and under filtered! I have learned to trust everyone on this forum before I do any changes or treat something myself. New people (like me) need to have faith that people here know what they are talking about! Thanks to all the contributors!

I second SH's comment -- stocking, stocking, stocking! :stupid: I couldn't believe that my little wigglers could possibly look crowded in their tanks. But a couple of years later, I sure see it! (Apologies, SH, but I always wanted to use that emoticon. ;) )

Also, I didn't get the importance of water quality and parameters at first. People get fish all the time and they're fine, I thought. These people are drop test kit nazis, I thought. Weekly water changes on the new tank will be fine -- the pet store employees told me! :doh11: :doh11: :doh11:

Edited by ShawneeRiver

I second SH's comment -- stocking, stocking, stocking! :stupid: I couldn't believe that my little wigglers could possibly look crowded in their tanks. But a couple of years later, I sure see it! (Apologies, SH, but I always wanted to use that emoticon. ;) )

Also, I didn't get the importance of water quality and parameters at first. People get fish all the time and they're fine, I thought. These people are drop test kit nazis, I thought. Weekly water changes on the new tank will be fine -- the pet store employees told me! :doh11: :doh11: :doh11:

Bahaha, it's fine! xD I couldn't agree with that emote more,actually. Shouldn't have taken me 18 months to learn that!

I sure do!

www.kokosgoldfish.com

All the info you need in one easy place. :)

yes lot of good info on the site! I was hoping this thread could be more about our personal experiences that we learned at the school of hard knocks....

Water Changes, Water Changes, water changes!

I used to never do water changes and only replenish the evaporated water when needed. After a few fish died I researched why and since then I've been pretty successful. Even now I don't do enough! Working on that though! :)

Stocking levels and water changes are 'the secret'. I'm no aquatic genius, have no access to expensive equipt and am ridiculously busy with life, job and kids. My fish is alive because I learned to understock and do biiiig water changes. And I learned that here.

DP,

I've had my share of not listening about the gravel, about the water changer, and about ornaments. :no:

It's unfortunate, but sometimes it seems we all have to learn through bad experience. The key is that we all do learn, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Mine has to do with changing the laundry around while the python was removing water from the tank. Luckily I came back to it in time to save my fish.

DP,

I've had my share of not listening about the gravel, about the water changer, and about ornaments. :no:

It's unfortunate, but sometimes it seems we all have to learn through bad experience. The key is that we all do learn, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Dude it wasn't the water changer, it was the filter intake! Sucking in 350+ gallons per hour through the thin intake tube cause the baffle fell off. Pretty good suction I imagine!

Ive been beating up on some pretty nice and big fish lately. Tragic!

Edited by DieselPlower

DP,

I think Jason is saying that we could all share something here in one place, to make it more helpful for others. :) It's hard when a person is new here -- a lot of information is thrown at them at once and it isn't always in one place.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

DP,

I think Jason is saying that we could all share something here, to make it more helpful for others. :)

But I did, Shawn!

Did I not just write that I've had my share of those experiences of not heeding good advice?

Heres another one that I dont hear much but "make sure your fish doesn't get its face stuck to the intake of your filter". I changed the water and knocked off the intake baffle without realizing it. I was outside and was notified by someone else in the house the my fishs face was stuck to the filter. I asked what part and they said basically the mouth. The fish was dead from infection a few days later.

Is there something I can put around my intake to prevvent this? I have a pretty powerful filter on a 40 gallon and my new fish come in a week. Ideas?

Edited by terris

Is there something I can put around my intake to prevvent this? I have a pretty powerful filter on a 40 gallon and my new fish come in a week. Ideas?

What filter do you have?

I have AC 110's, and I put fluval Edge Prefilter Sponges on the ends. They look great, but are very fine, so they need to be squeezed every other day.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3650250

i was told to NOT DO OR GO ANYWHERE WHEN FILLING THE TANK!!!!

i didn't listen :tantrum

My LFS said I should be fine with just two rounds of prazi, and the site said to do six. I listened to the LFS and now I'm right back where I started.

I was told goldfish didn't need a heater. I didn't listen.

-Using Tapatalk.

Stocking was my issue! I was young and found myself looking around until I found or heard the answers I WANTED to hear not true stocking requirements. The answers I wanted to hear were "you can keep as many goldfish as you want as long as you feed them" and so I kept 4 goldfish in one bowl at one time. :doh11:

-Using Tapatalk.

Did anything bad happen?

I keep my house between 69 and 74 degrees depending on the time of year so I dont think I will ever use one.

-Using Tapatalk.

Did anything bad happen?

I keep my house between 69 and 74 degrees depending on the time of year so I dont think I will ever use one.

That's how Elvis wound up with the burn that killed him.

-Using Tapatalk.

Did anything bad happen?

That's how Elvis wound up with the burn that killed him.

Oh that is tragic. Sorry to hear.

It took me losing my favorite

I'm so sorry! [been there too btw :( ] Someone wrote, that when you cut corners, overstock etc., it's always your favorite that something happens to.

Apologies if it's common knowledge on Koko's but I haven't seen this in a while, the recommendation to have two undersize heaters in your tank instead of one that's the correct rating. You know, like two 50W heaters instead of one 100W for example.

Great, great idea for a thread! Thanks

Stocking, stocking, stocking. That's all I have to say. I had to learn that the hard was as a kid, and I never forgot it.