Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ElaineSelene

Water test... tell me more about it?

Hi. I just did a water test and things are screwy! I don't know what happened but last time I tested things were great (a week ago?) I don't recall what those results were but I have these now...

PH: 8.0

Ammonia: 0.50ppm

Nitrite: 2.0ppm

Nitrate: 15ppm

Don't have the right kind of test to know KH or GH.

Tap water:

PH: 7.5 ish

Ammonia: 0.25ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate:0ppm

Anyway... what should I do to fix it?

I heard this is the goal...

PH: 7-8

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 12 ppm

KH: 70-120 ppm

GH: 200-400 ppm

Anyway. Thanks :)

I can't help, but your nitrite is at deadly levels.

Those readings definitely aren't safe. Do you have any fish in the tank?

Do a very large (80-90%) WC.

Retest and post again.

daannnggg okokok I'll do it fast. there are fish in there. :(

What test kit are you using?

how long has your tank been setup?

What test kit are you using?

API fresh water master test kit

how long has your tank been setup?

Not shure? a couple of months? a month?

Hmmm, it sounds cycled

Have you done anything in the tank recently like removed gravel, cleaned filters etc?

What you need to do is what Lisa suggested, big water change and let us know your test results. You'll want to test your water daily and do water changes as necessary until your cycle gets back on track. Are you using prime for a water conditioner?

Hmmm, it sounds cycled

Very recently because I didn't know about cycling when I set it up and I added fish... now its wacky.

Have you done anything in the tank recently like removed gravel, cleaned filters etc?

What you need to do is what Lisa suggested, big water change and let us know your test results. You'll want to test your water daily and do water changes as necessary until your cycle gets back on track. Are you using prime for a water conditioner?

Nope. Nothing. I did a water change I guess of like 20% a couple of days ago? Nothing else. OH and there is like, overnight, tons of algae on my plastic plants. I'm using a combo of prime and Aquasafe. I changed to prime recently...

Nope. Nothing. I did a water change I guess of like 20% a couple of days ago? Nothing else. OH and there is like, overnight, tons of algae on my plastic plants. I'm using a combo of prime and Aquasafe. I changed to prime recently...

You can use the Prime to help you while you are cycling. Test your water daily, if ammonia plus nitrite are under 1.0ppm add a double dose of prime to the tank. If they are equal to or greater than 1.0ppm, do a large (80-90%) water change.

You can use the Prime to help you while you are cycling. Test your water daily, if ammonia plus nitrite are under 1.0ppm add a double dose of prime to the tank. If they are equal to or greater than 1.0ppm, do a large (80-90%) water change.

Ok, thank you. :)

Also, regarding your pH, as Alex said you don't want to lower it. A pH of 8.0 is perfectly fine, even above 8.0 is fine, we worry more about low pH and goldfish than higher pH. It is likely there are some gasses in your tap that lower the pH a bit in the tap, when the water is put in the tank, these gasses dissipate and pH rises a bit, not a big concern ;)

Ideal goldfish water params are 0 for ammonia and nitrite, and under 20ppm for nitrate (most aim for 5-10). pH we really want above 7.0

The prime neutralizes ammonia/nitrite for about 24 hours, so it can be used in lieu of water changes up to a certain point to help with cycling.

I'd be interested to know more abou the tank before commenting. How many gallons? How many fish? What filters?

Where did you read that the ideal nitrate should be 12ppm? Some of these things are really interesting.

I'd be interested to know more abou the tank before commenting. How many gallons? How many fish? What filters?

55 gallons, 4 goldfish. :)

2 filters, both penguin bio wheel filters. One is the 350 gph and the other is 200 gph. (a 75 gallon and a 55 gallon filter).

2 filters, both penguin bio wheel filters. One is the 350 gph and the other is 200 gph. (a 75 gallon and a 55 gallon filter).

how big are your fish? (they are pretty small right?)

Where did you read that the ideal nitrate should be 12ppm? Some of these things are really interesting.

Ermmm... here: (link removed)

Thats where it says goldfish prefer 12ppm

All under or around 2 inches. :)

All under or around 2 inches. :)

or maybe up to 3 inches... Edited by bodoba
Content -link to other forum

The lowest Nitrates possible are usually the goal.

Goldfish don't "prefer" nitrates, as they can also be deadly if left to rise too high.

My tank generally sits between 0ppm and <5ppm.

Edited by Chai

Elaine,

I don't know what the link was, but it's not important at this point. 12 is an awfully odd number, and doesn't make much sense to me.

Here's why we recommend that we recommend nitrates to always stay below 40ppm, and better if it's under 20 ppm at all times. Most ideally, nitrates should also be zero.

The EPA sets out a cut off of 40ppm for nitrates in our tap water, because at that level, it can cause problems for babies. So, I think it makes sense for us to adapt the same cut off, knowing that nitrates can also be damaging to fish, both acutely and chronically.

The reason why we say it's better to keep it at 20 or lower is because with our very inaccurate color test, it's very hard to tell between 20 and 40. So, if you are seeing 20, it's time to change the water. :)

Wow well that is one crazy reading. Some people might tell you that your tank is overstocked. I seems since the fish are smaller it should be OK but since the water tested so terribly, it may be otherwise. How long before your small water change did you do your last water change? The tank has to be completing the full cycle since there are Nitrates but apparently there arent enough of the bacteria yet. As previously noted a large water change is needed and I would just test the water again in a few days. Is there anything else in the tank, like a pleco or some snails etc?

Elaine,

I don't know what the link was, but it's not important at this point. 12 is an awfully odd number, and doesn't make much sense to me.

Here's why we recommend that we recommend nitrates to always stay below 40ppm, and better if it's under 20 ppm at all times. Most ideally, nitrates should also be zero.

The EPA sets out a cut off of 40ppm for nitrates in our tap water, because at that level, it can cause problems for babies. So, I think it makes sense for us to adapt the same cut off, knowing that nitrates can also be damaging to fish, both acutely and chronically.

The reason why we say it's better to keep it at 20 or lower is because with our very inaccurate color test, it's very hard to tell between 20 and 40. So, if you are seeing 20, it's time to change the water. :)

Oh. Ok. Thank you. I'll post my new readings in a moment.

Wow well that is one crazy reading. Some people might tell you that your tank is overstocked. I seems since the fish are smaller it should be OK but since the water tested so terribly, it may be otherwise. How long before your small water change did you do your last water change? The tank has to be completing the full cycle since there are Nitrates but apparently there arent enough of the bacteria yet. As previously noted a large water change is needed and I would just test the water again in a few days. Is there anything else in the tank, like a pleco or some snails etc?

I know 3 is usually the limit. But I have such high filtration on it I thought it would be O.K.

I did a 20% or a little less last time. There is NOTHING else in the tank. :)

Elaine,

Oh. Ok. Thank you. I'll post my new readings in a moment.

I know 3 is usually the limit. But I have such high filtration on it I thought it would be O.K.

I did a 20% or a little less last time. There is NOTHING else in the tank. :)

You are actually perfectly filtered for that tank, not overfiltered. 10x the tank volume in gph is generally what we aim for with goldfish so with 550gph your filtration is spot on. Plus, overfiltration doesn't really allow for extra fish. It is possible to maintain a 55 gallon with 4 fish in it, we have members here that do, but it requires more frequent water changes typically.

May I ask why you are doing such small water changes? A minimum 50-80% water change a week is recommended for cycled, appropriately stocked tanks.