Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Halethrain

The 40B: A Journey (Super Pic Heavy)

You did an awesome job on your stand. It's beautiful. To bad you don't live anywhere close to San Diego. I'd ask you to build me a low level stand for a 75g.

Looking forward to seeing it all completed with water and fish. :)

Thanks, you guys. I'll update again when I get the things to put the canopy together! :)

Beautiful! I'd love yo make my own stand someday! Love it nice job!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Wow! That's a beautiful job!

Your stand is gorgeous! I would like to try my hand at building a stand some day so I will be book marking this thread :D Great job!

Really excellent work! Very impressive!!

Gorgeous!

Instead of Styrofoam, I used foamcore under the tank. It's basically super-thin foam w/ paperboard on each side--get it at any Michaels or other craft store. It not only provides a cushion and a bit of self-leveling, but it makes the bottom white instead of clear, which I prefer. :)

You've never built anything before this?! This is amazing! And very inspiring! I've always wanted to build my own stand but thought since I lack experience it wasn't worth trying. Now I may just have to give it a try!

You're an inspiration! When I upgrade next, I may refer to your DIY, and attempt to make my own. :) :) It looks amazing!

I don't know how I missed this thread!

You did an amazing job! My stand is custom made by someone else and not nearly as nice as yours. I might have to make a new one with your method ;)

Thanks again, all! I wholly recommend anyone giving this a go. :)

Gorgeous!

Instead of Styrofoam, I used foamcore under the tank. It's basically super-thin foam w/ paperboard on each side--get it at any Michaels or other craft store. It not only provides a cushion and a bit of self-leveling, but it makes the bottom white instead of clear, which I prefer. :)

I looked into this and did end up getting one to try. The one back corner was off about the width of 5 pieces of index cards. :/ I painted it black cause I didn't have any white paint. D: But it's not right up against the bottom glass, not sure if it'll even look black when filled?

Anyhow, just a quick progress update:

Ordered a cheapo light fixture. The Aqueon dual T5NO. And a AquaClear 70 to use in addition to the 50 I'm using now. Goal is to one day replace the 50 with a canister, but today is not that day.

(disregard Halloween decor ideas)

9qqglHV.png?1

Purchased some foam board and painted it black. We'll see how that turns out.

Jd2I1hn.png?1

Hoping the T5 will allow for growing some low maintenance plants. If anyone has experience with this fixture, feel free to input. Couldn't find much in the way of information on this light.

3EFT4JO.png?1

z7mE07b.png?1

I had a derp moment today when calling around for prices on glass for the canopy. As I measured I realized it would sit pretty bulky and high on top of the aquarium. So... went with the premade route and ordered a Marineland canopy that set me back almost double what the DIY would've been. :(

That's on the way along with two Anubias Nana that I'm gonna try just tying down to those little glass bowls for now. Hopefully they'll live and someday there will be a pretty driftwood and other plants in there. :D

Will be setting up once canopy arrives. While we wait on that...

Meet Chibi, the new goldie. :) (apologies for weird saturation)

XB9j1nX.jpg?1

StSirZc.jpg?1

uytudYy.jpg?1

Went in on a Wednesday (their shipment day). Tank full of Orandas. I looked at this and another for a good hour and a half. Left for the day. Came back the following Sunday or Monday, only 3 left including this one. He/she is missing a pectoral fin so I assumed that's why no one wanted it. Kinda just a little stub that it moves around as if there's a fin on it. :| There was also damaged scales on that side of the body (I'm guessing injury took the fin?) but otherwise seemed healthy. Figured he/she deserved a chance, so here we are. And glad to say the new goldie is just as chipper and active as my two-armed goldie, despite the handicap. Has a really cute, chubby little face that isn't quite noticeable due to image quality.

Updates soon!

What a cutie pie! :)

Congrats on the new addition! Chibi is very cute!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update sooner than expected because what should arrive just today other than...

The glass canopy. Talk about quick shipping. :D

TOxpJa1.jpg?1

Since this was all that was needed to set up, I went out and picked up some last, and some unexpected, additions.

I don't go into Petco often, but it must've been fate because I picked up this:

vbicH6G.jpg?1

0yytzi0.jpg?1

Apparently my local Petco sells wood from their goldfish tanks. Who knew. 4.60 for small and 10.99 for medium. It's currently undergoing it's fouth boil and it leeching some light tannins and getting lighting in color, because I discovered this during first boil:

It's covered in algae. T.T A lot has come off during boiling, but I am wondering how to get what's left? Can I scrub it? :s

IQhTxhI.jpg?1

Heading into fourth boil here. It looks like a totally different piece of wood.

zi16iiw.jpg?1

I was surprised when I went into the Petsmart to see they're really doing an overhaul on their aquarium section. With the addition of some new stuff... like good looking plants. D: I got two Amazon Sword. Not sure how they'll do. And need to decide on a substrate. I just put them into gravel for now... Suggestions?

ezawBEr.jpg?1

I read on the PlantedTank forum that Amazon Sword is a heavy root feeder. Decided to give these Flourish tabs a whirl.

zZP8Cii.jpg?1

After returning home, tearing down the 20 and much rearranging, the stand was lugged into my room.

D1i8OSi.jpg?1

And the first virgin blood was spilt. >:3

K5CMU6U.jpg?1

7YlZQHK.jpg?1

Mkfi76y.jpg?1

They didn't seem to know what to do with themselves and this much space.

0IDs9YK.jpg?1

o07imAH.jpg?1

5eDCbD1.jpg?1

It's hard to tell from these pictures but the light makes them look so much more vibrant and the colors so vivid compared to the LED thing that was in the 20g hood.

xkJT3m0.jpg?1

Props to whoever thought to put plants in little dishes. So much easier than doing a full substrate bottom. :)

8dlXwej.jpg?1

And of course the canopy in action.

CcOfhPw.jpg?1

Now hopefully the Anubias will arrive soon and I will be back to blow you all up with more pictures! :P (and maybe this thread should unexpectedly be moved to planted tank pictures, heh).

Those are great looking swords! What a journey but soooo worth it!

You should be very proud of yourself! :clapping:

Nice. The goldfish are loving the space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It looks amazing! Good job! :clapping:

Those are great looking swords! What a journey but soooo worth it!

You should be very proud of yourself! :clapping:

Thanks! Am so pumped about the new product in the fish section at the local Petsmart. :D

Nice. The goldfish are loving the space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. :) They do seem to be enjoying the space.

It looks amazing! Good job! :clapping:

Thanks!

The Anubias came today. They look pretty good, but what do I know. :s

(purchased from MikesWetPets if anyone is interested)

n5oL65s.jpg?1

aFUl4o9.jpg?1

Accidentally pulled off a leaf. ;_; R.I.P leaf.

q795vNJ.jpg?1

05ljVSw.jpg?1

Tossed them on the driftwood for now.

UBTTjor.jpg?1

Chibomb photo. Lol.

28i9b7w.jpg?1

Sorry for blurry images!

Uhybugf.jpg?1

Q2A0Tlo.jpg?1

jbmbj2u.jpg?1

Before and after Anubias.

H9zGkWN.jpg?1

2fQ1ky0.jpg?1

Just need to get some plant substrate before I kill the swords. D:

Thanks for looking!

It looks beautiful!

That stand came out great! And it seems they like their new home. YAY!

I've been researching on building a DIY Stand for my new tank but have been kinda chicken. Never built something like that before. But you have given me hope that I can. Thanks!

That stand came out great! And it seems they like their new home. YAY!

I've been researching on building a DIY Stand for my new tank but have been kinda chicken. Never built something like that before. But you have given me hope that I can. Thanks!

Thanks. :)

I hope you try it. It was fun and you'd save a lot of money doing it yourself!

wow, your tank is amazing!!! love the cleanness, the space, the blue, plants ...very nice combinatiion ..like water drops!