Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mikey'sGold

pH and Nitrate Problem

Hello All! I'm new here and I've been keeping goldfish for about 3 years. Recently, I moved and had to transfer my tank to my new home - my setup is a 37 gallon tank with Penguin 250 filter (200 gph and i'm upgrading it this week). I have two Ryukin goldfish, one is 8 inches long and the other is 6 inches long. I only have about 30 pounds of sand and about seven large rocks. I understand that the rocks affect the water chemistry and they were tested and boiled before being placed in the tank. The tank was also set up with 1/2 old water and 1/2 purified water from my local fish store. My problem is this, the pH is very acidic, almost 6.2, my alkalinity is extremely low and my nitrates are pretty high. I added java moss to help the alkalinity. I know I'm not the only person who keeps rocks in their tank so is there anything special I should be doing? Thanks for all the help!

Could you tell us what the tap parameters are, including kH and gH? Thanks!

Could you tell us what the tap parameters are, including kH and gH? Thanks!

gH - 75 ppm

kH - 40 ppm

would you mind providing all parameters for both tap and tank? :)

Tap:

Ammonia

nitrite

nitrate

pH

gh

kh

Tank:

ammonia

nitrite

nitrate

pH

gh

kh

Also, how often do you change the water and how much do you change at a time?

When was your most recent water change?

Are you using tap for water changes, or are you using water from the pet store?

would you mind providing all parameters for both tap and tank? :)

Tap:

Ammonia

nitrite

nitrate

pH

gh

kh

Tank:

ammonia

nitrite

nitrate

pH

gh

kh

Also, how often do you change the water and how much do you change at a time?

When was your most recent water change?

Are you using tap for water changes, or are you using water from the pet store?

Tap:

Ammonia - 0 ppm

Nitrate - 0 ppm

Nitrite - 0 ppm

gH - 25 ppm

Chlorine - 0 ppm

kH - 80 ppm

pH - 6.8

Tank:

Ammonia - 0 ppm

Nitrate - 40 ppm

Nitrite - 0 ppm

gH - 75 ppm

Chlorine - 0 ppm

kH - 40 ppm

pH - 6.2

Water Changes:

-> 25% Water Change about every 2 weeks

-> Most recent water change was 2 days ago with the purified water from the pet store

-> Most water changes are done with tap water

The problem that I see here is that your carbonate hardness is very low. You need to use baking soda to boost it up by about 50-100 ppms. There is a link in my thread on how to do it. :)

With the high nitrates, this means that you should either do a bigger WC, or more frequent WC. A 25% WC every two weeks is likely the cause. Move it up to 50% every week, please.

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

The problem that I see here is that your carbonate hardness is very low. You need to use baking soda to boost it up by about 50-100 ppms. There is a link in my thread on how to do it. :)

With the high nitrates, this means that you should either do a bigger WC, or more frequent WC. A 25% WC every two weeks is likely the cause. Move it up to 50% every week, please.

Thanks! I read your thread on the baking soda and I'm definitely going to use it. Should I do a gradual change or is it okay to add all the baking soda at once?

And okay, I figured the water changes may have something to do with it so I'll up the water changes.

Thanks! I read your thread on the baking soda and I'm definitely going to use it. Should I do a gradual change or is it okay to add all the baking soda at once?

And okay, I figured the water changes may have something to do with it so I'll up the water changes.

Add the baking soda all at once, but it's important to mix and dissolve it first. :)

Add the baking soda all at once, but it's important to mix and dissolve it first. :)

Okay, thanks!