Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
paasaa

Question about genetics!

I am struggling to figure this out using the internet alone. I have ordered some goldfish books now, and I love genetics, so hopefully we can sort this out!

I was doing a water change and found 9 fry.

So, if I have a black moor (mother) and a calico ryukin (father), are there any substantial chances of getting a calico telescope? We would love one. :wub: Either way, the babies are well taken care of and loved.

I'd love a basics on goldfish color genetics. Thank you! :goldfish::heart

I would assume so, since one of the parent's have it. I'm not well versed in genetics (though that may change a bit thanks to Minecraft mods xP),though, so I can't tell you what the chances would be.

What is the quality of the goldfish that you have? I have not read my genetics book yet so I can't be too much help.

I can tell you form the breeders in the states that it takes quite a lot for a line to breed true. If you got these from a breeder vs. a pet shop you would be more likely to get a generation resembling the parents.

Remember that goldfish have teraploidal DNA so it's four genes from each parent. I don't think it should deter your breeding efforts just know that breeding the perfect goldfish (no matter the breed) takes decades of hard work.

No real input here but...Ooohhh!!!! Yay!!! I had eggs which didn't come to anything which would have been moor/ryukin cross. Would love to see their development. :-)

I am struggling to figure this out using the internet alone. I have ordered some goldfish books now, and I love genetics, so hopefully we can sort this out!

I was doing a water change and found 9 fry.

So, if I have a black moor (mother) and a calico ryukin (father), are there any substantial chances of getting a calico telescope? We would love one. :wub: Either way, the babies are well taken care of and loved.

I'd love a basics on goldfish color genetics. Thank you! :goldfish::heart

Tele x non tele = All non tele . So your chances are zero .

Which books have you ordered? There are several very good on goldfish .

Since goldfish "breeds" are determined simply by the way a fish looks, and not its pedigree, almost anything is possible. The ryukin may have telescope ancestors which would make it possible for him to carry a telescope gene. I think you should get some calicos from this cross, and probably other colors, but probably not black. As a general rule, if you cross two kinds of fancy goldfish with different mutations, the offspring will be "fantails," since most mutations are recessive.

For a number of reasons, goldfish genetics is incredibly complicated, even for a professional geneticist.

Down with the tetraploids! :o:rofl