4prettyfish

Show me your Oranda please

386 posts in this topic

Sweatpea: You've had some awesome growth on your cuties. And in only 6 months or so! Whatever your doing your doing great.

Moucho: You have an orange oranda just like I have two of them. One of mine was small when I got him and he's now over 5 or 5 1/2 inches total. It's amazing how they grow and change. Your little fish is a cutie.

Alex: Are all of those current fish that you have now? Where have they been hiding? I knew you had two tanks, right?? You have a blue oranda and a red and black? That red and black..........so darn cute in the head. I love your blue oranda also. You have a beautiful collection of Oranda's. Can I have them? ha ha

Oops, perhaps I was too vague, bub bub died :o

I'm sorry. His name sounds familiar though. So sorry for your loss. :(

Unfortunately, they have all passed away. Some did not survive long, because they came from really bad conditions, and some did live to be pretty old, but not as old as I'd like.

I got really discouraged with orandas because their beautiful wens can also bring them so very annoying problems, and they can also tend to be very floaty-prone. So, I have now focused on chus, some longer bodied fancies, and single tails. :)

Thank you everyone that showed me your fish.

I loved coming home this evening and seeing so many beautiful Oranda's. I think they are one of the best fish to have. :) I love everyone's wen big or small. If they are small it's fun to see them grow. I'm witnessing that in a few of my Oranda's. Next time I want my Oranda fix I can just scroll through this thread. ha ha :)

A lot of you didn't post the answers to my questions however. :( I really am interested in knowing how long you've had your fish, if you know about how old your fish is, and how big is your fish. If you see this post feel free to just post info. I think it's fun knowing info. on everyone's fish.

Added: I sure home I didn't forget someone. :(

Edited by 4prettyfish

Unfortunately, they have all passed away. Some did not survive long, because they came from really bad conditions, and some did live to be pretty old, but not as old as I'd like.

I got really discouraged with orandas because their beautiful wens can also bring them so very annoying problems, and they can also tend to be very floaty-prone. So, I have now focused on chus, some longer bodied fancies, and single tails. :)

I'm sorry Alex for all those beautiful losses you have had in the past. They were gorgeous. I hope I don't get discouraged with my Oranda's and have difficulties with their wens. I'm coming to really like the Chus as I see more of them on here. But my heart melts with the Oranda's.

Oopsies, I didn't see the questions lol :P I saw the word pictures and my mind got carried away :teehee

Here are the orandas I have as of current. They were purchased at the same time bub bub was

bwCCPqb.jpg

I've had them for almost 6 months. I don't know how old they were when I first bought them but they were under 2 inches total. As of today, they average a total of 2.75 inches in body length and about 5 inches total but Naruto is an ENORMOUS piggy. He's almost 10 grams heavier than little Arnie. :doh11:

Oh, I am coming back to orandas at some point, especially now that I know Cynthia/East Coast Ranchu has them.

I am of course not going to push this on anyone else, but the last few years of keeping goldfish have really reinforced for me how critical it is to get young and domestic fish from a careful breeder. Cynthia fits those criteria so well. I really don't think I want fancy goldfish from some other source, unless they can demonstrate the same level of care that Cynthia gives to her fish.

Oopsies, I didn't see the questions lol :P I saw the word pictures and my mind got carried away :teehee

Here are the orandas I have as of current. They were purchased at the same time bub bub was

bwCCPqb.jpg

I've had them for almost 6 months. I don't know how old they were when I first bought them but they were under 2 inches total. As of today, they average a total of 2.75 inches in body length and about 5 inches total but Naruto is an ENORMOUS piggy. He's almost 10 grams heavier than little Arnie. :doh11:

That second sentence you said,..."I saw the word pictures and my mind got carried away." That sounded like something I would have said. It made me smile. Your fish have grown a lot. Great job. I love the photo of them also. So vibrant!

Oh, I am coming back to orandas at some point, especially now that I know Cynthia/East Coast Ranchu has them.

I am of course not going to push this on anyone else, but the last few years of keeping goldfish have really reinforced for me how critical it is to get young and domestic fish from a careful breeder. Cynthia fits those criteria so well. I really don't think I want fancy goldfish from some other source, unless they can demonstrate the same level of care that Cynthia gives to her fish.

That is very interesting Alex. What is considered a young fish? I've thought of the "thought" of one day purchasing a fish by internet/mail. This of course will be way down the road because I have enough fish as it is and am hoping they will be around for years. (So far I've had half my fish for 1 year already. :)) But they are just so expensive with fish and cost of delivery. I know...you get what you pay for. :)

Actually, at the risk of sounding like an ad for East Coast Ranchu (disclaimer: I receive no benefit from ECR :rofl), the price of the fish and the cost of shipping was entirely reasonable, especially if you get more than one fish. The fish are beautiful, and extremely healthy. Cynthia has already done the bulk of the hard work for you in terms of treating them for external parasites etc. With her fish, I did not do a treatment QT, but only observations. :)

For me, a young fish is one that is less than 6 months old. I enjoy watching them grow. :)

Phoebie: You have a couple of cuties also. Edie sounds like a popular name on here for fish. I remember Geisha's passing. :( He was beautiful also.

Koko: Your Oranda's were gorgeous. Am I correct in saying "were"? Their wens are huge in some of them. Is that one a blue oranda also? And a black? I love them. And the red cap has a gigantic wen. Oh my gosh. By the way, Love the photo of you and Justine.

Streading: Is that what you call a Yellow Head Oranda? I'm seeing more of these fish. They are beautiful as is yours.

Great Kahn: Your fish grew a lot in a year. Does your inches include the tail or not? Lovely fish and so cute.

Those are entire measurements. His body minus tail is now approx 4.5 inches, He was 1.5.

Those are approx, as I have never had him out of the tank.

Photochop I did. Despite being on same diet the ranchu has not grown as much by comparison, so genetics certainly play a part.

6months_zps1c01e549.jpg

A lot of you didn't post the answers to my questions however. :( I really am interested in knowing how long you've had your fish, if you know about how old your fish is, and how big is your fish. If you see this post feel free to just post info. I think it's fun knowing info. on everyone's fish.

I completely forgot to answer the questions with the excitement of being able to show my fish off again! I'm not sure how old they are but I've had Edie for 6 months and Georgie for around 2 months. Edie is 6.1 inches including tail, her body is about 3.7 inches, then Georgie is 4.9 inches including tail with a body length of 2.9 inches (little shortie hehe) This is a great post to look through with my obsession with Orandas! Everyone's fish are beautiful by the way, I love them all alive or dead :heart

Below is the link to my baby Oranda.

Very cute and lively. Loves to swim around the tank.

Sorry I forgot to answer the questions

Yes he is a lemon head

I got him on Tuesday he is 3 inches long including his tail and I don't know how old he is i am guessing about 6 months

Koko: Your Oranda's were gorgeous. Am I correct in saying "were"? Their wens are huge in some of them. Is that one a blue oranda also? And a black? I love them. And the red cap has a gigantic wen. Oh my gosh. By the way, Love the photo of you and Justine.

you are correct those fish have passed away :( just a black oranda that in certain lighting looks blue :lol

you mean Mr.T :lol

thank you hun, your the first to mention it :heart

Growth isn't always an indicator of age...

CAM00359_zpsdcffe661.jpg

Miss Clementine the Swimming Orange (aka just Clementine)

Clem came from a local chain called VI Pets. She is just over one year old and 5"-5.5" bodylength or so. I got her when she was only 1-1.5" long last July. And she's still growing every day, both body-wise and wen-wise. :teehee

She isn't one of those fun colors, but I thought I'd post her. :)

And the little one...

CAM00351_zps411a15c5.jpg

Ben was purchased a few weeks ago from a local place, a different store in the same small chain as Clementine. He was about the same size or maybe even smaller than she was when I got her, but has grown at least another half inch since I got him. He's still very small in comparison to his tankmate, though! I'd estimate him to be between 4-5 months old based on how young the store says they are when they receive them from the breeder.

Those are my current two Orandas!

Clementine is one of my favorite fish on here, I LOVE her colors! And her face :D

Here's mine.. this is actually an old pic, he's a lot bigger but I dont have a good pic at the moment***. I used to call him "Little One" but he's had a growth spurt the last 2 weeks and got really big! No wen growth at all since I got him... I need to figure out what food to get for that.

SvMarZ6.jpg

*** Ok I just went through my phone and found a couple pics from July 26th (so he's bigger now! :D ) Here they are:

To7Fz6d.jpg

ImFZLsx.jpg

Getting fatter!!

Edited by blubblubblub

Clementine is one of my favorite fish on here, I LOVE her colors! And her face :D

Thank you! :heart

Actually, at the risk of sounding like an ad for East Coast Ranchu (disclaimer: I receive no benefit from ECR :rofl), the price of the fish and the cost of shipping was entirely reasonable, especially if you get more than one fish. The fish are beautiful, and extremely healthy. Cynthia has already done the bulk of the hard work for you in terms of treating them for external parasites etc. With her fish, I did not do a treatment QT, but only observations. :)

For me, a young fish is one that is less than 6 months old. I enjoy watching them grow. :)

Thanks for all the info Alex on ECR. I hope you get an Oranda or two now so we/I can see what/who you choose. :) This is great feedback for anyone looking for a new fish to ck out her site. I wish I could get another one now. ha ha but can't.

Six months is young. I loved watching 4 of my 6 grow. The four were really small averaging an inch to 1 1/2 inch total.

Edited by 4prettyfish

That black and red you had was a stunner Alex. I am sorry for your losses. You know I have lost quite a few myself. I miss these two the most~

LOL. That was my experience with ECR, and it appears to the the norm for her. Mary Kate is another very picky person who is also quite happy with ECR fish! :)

Great K: Thanks again for all the info on your fish. That is a nice growth.

Phoebie: Thanks for coming back and giving your info on your fish. Your fish sound like the size of a couple of mine. To cute! I'm enjoying seeing everyone's fish also. That's why I thought I'd make a thread. I can't get enough of Oranda's also and love seeing everyone's fish here. :) It's fun.

Rcshaw: Your baby is adorable. Very little and cute. Welcome by the way to Koko's.

you are correct those fish have passed away :( just a black oranda that in certain lighting looks blue :lol

you mean Mr.T :lol

thank you hun, your the first to mention it :heart

Pharoh alaways reminds me of a song we used to sing at bible camp: pharoh pharoh, uh oh oh baby let my people go ya ya ya, I said pharoh pharoh uh oh oh baby let my people go huu ya ya ya

I really dont know why x) but he was beautiful koko :)

Streading: Thanks for getting back with your info. Your little lemon head is young and so darn cute. And, Congratulations on just getting him/her.

Koko: They were all gorgeous even the black who I thought was blue. I don't see you on much. At least not posting. You must be extremely busy with Justine. The months with her will seem to even go by faster once she starts crawling. You'll be chasing her around to make sure she stays safe. I love seeing all the recent photo's you post of her. You both look great in the photo.

Blubblublub: Your little Oranda has gotten fat. So cute. You can try frozen bloodworms to get the wen growing. I've been feeding my other Oranda's along with my new one frozen bloodworms every other day along with a recently new pellet, Hikari Lionhead. This pellet is suppose to be great on fish with wens. It most likely needs to be ordered on line. I don't know your wc schedule but I believe doing big 80% weekly or even closer to together is great for growth of a fish. It of course depends on the genes of the fish also.

I forgot to answer your age question in my post. I would guess that Edie was around a year old when I bought her just based on size, hashi probably about the same but maybe a little younger? So I estimate Edie to be about 3 yrs and Hashi about 2 yrs or a little under? I will have owned Edie for 2 yrs in August, and Hashi 1 yr in September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk