Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KingKong

Quick Q about Scales.

So today I was cleaning the tank and Dassu, one of my black Ranchus, panicked and swam up behind the HOB outflow and scraped off two of his little scales...I know it would grow back easily - but what color.

The scraped part is now metallic, and I worry that it would grow back into that color. If it does, I might just nickname him "sparkly-butt". :lol:

Thoughts?

Hello,

I'm glad your fish is OK. I think the scales will likely grow back as non-metallic. :)

So today I was cleaning the tank and Dassu, one of my black Ranchus, panicked and swam up behind the HOB outflow and scraped off two of his little scales...I know it would grow back easily - but what color.

The scraped part is now metallic, and I worry that it would grow back into that color. If it does, I might just nickname him "sparkly-butt". :lol:

Thoughts?

if the scraped part is now metallic, then he did not scrape his scales off, just the colour. and like alex said, they will most likely grow back black matte.. if your fish is already matte colour (like a velvety finish) it should grow back to resemble the same, my moor went through the same process, if matte black, it won't take long for them to colour up again either...

I used to worry about the same thing, my Edie quite often used to spook and knock a few scales off, but they've always grown back exactly as they were, I'm sure Dassu's will too :)