Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

TANK TEST:

PH: 7.6 (OR UP)

High Range PH: 8.2

Ammonia: 0.50ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

Thanks guys. I don't know whats good, whats not, and what to do about what I have.

I detoxified the ammonia and added a proper PH thingy to the tank. Thats pretty much all that would affect these readings...

I am wondering why you are using proper ph? When do you add it?

It looks like your ph is rising once out of the tap. This will limit the size of your water change. Can you set out a gallon of plain tap water overnight with no additives? Test the ph now and test it again in the morning.

Once your cycle is finished it should handle that small amount of ammonia in a short time. Are you using Prime or Amquel Plus to detoxity the ammonia in your tank?

Oops. I had the tank and tap reversed.

How long have you had the tank running? and yes, why proper pH?

It looks like your ph is rising once out of the tap. This will limit the size of your water change. Can you set out a gallon of plain tap water overnight with no additives? Test the ph now and test it again in the morning.

Once your cycle is finished it should handle that small amount of ammonia in a short time. Are you using Prime or Amquel Plus to detoxity the ammonia in your tank?

Erm... Probably because with animals I'm a firm beleiver in chemicals/medications/etc. (I know this because I dosed up my horse all the time on stuff that the "natrual / hippie / hoo-doo" people didn't like. :P

Also because the PH gave me higher results back a week ago when I did a strip test on the tank. p_q?

Sure thing, I'll set out a gallon overnight and tell you the results in the morning. :)

I've been using: Amquel Plus

When I started the tank (less than a month ago) I didnt know about cycling it sadly. Now i have two fish in it, a third one coming. I did add quickstart though! If that is any credit to me / my stupidity!?

Erm... Probably because with animals I'm a firm beleiver in chemicals/medications/etc. (I know this because I dosed up my horse all the time on stuff that the "natrual / hippie / hoo-doo" people didn't like. :P

Also because the PH gave me higher results back a week ago when I did a strip test on the tank. p_q?

Sure thing, I'll set out a gallon overnight and tell you the results in the morning. :)

I've been using: Amquel Plus

When I started the tank (less than a month ago) I didnt know about cycling it sadly. Now i have two fish in it, a third one coming. I did add quickstart though! If that is any credit to me / my stupidity!?

Oh yeah, I also mixed in tank water from previously established tanks to try and get some good bacteria in there...

Let me share with you my personal philosophy, at least on goldfish (and one dog) at least. Please be patient with me. I am trying to get somewhere with this. :)

1. I am not a hippie, tree-hugger, etc. type person. I believe in using what works. Some of these are non-medication type stuff, and some are hard core meds.

2. I am a big believer in using whatever treatment ONLY when it's called for. For example, I have some really nice anti-diarrheals, and I will use them should I need, but I think you agree that it's a waste of money, not to mention extremely uncomfortable to take the meds, daily, just because you are a believer in using medications. The same goes for fish.

Having said that, let me please explain a little bit about pH and goldfish. Yes, it's really important that the pH stays close to the tap value, no matter what it is, unless the tap is lower than 7. In that case, what you want to do is to make sure that the pH is resistant to changing, and not actually changing the pH itself. Here then we want to boost the alkalinity, or kH, of the water, not to change the pH. The problem is that if you change the pH and doesn't have any means to ensure that it can fluctuate again, it will happen, and fluctuating pH is really stressful for fish.

A number of people have been reporting that Amquel Plus messes with the pH, so that is something that you might want to investigate in your system.

Instead of using proper pH, I'd like for you to check with your water utility what the kH/alkalinity value of the tap is. We can then decide if your water needs buffering to prevent pH swings. That can be accomplished using baking soda. :)

I'm a firm believer in "less is definitely more" when it comes to adding anything to your aquarium other than a good detoxifier like Prime etc.

Did you say in another thread your KH was high? Like 300 or something? Can't remember. And your GH was low? I'm assuming you might have a water softener?

Don't feel bad (or stupid) about not knowing about cycling a tank. Lots of people were just like you (myself included) and I had to cycle with 2 fish in last summer doing huge daily water changes to combat the 1.0ammonia that built up each day. It can be done, it just takes careful monitoring and lots and lots of water changes to keep your fish safe while cycling with them in.

If you start a cycling thread and post your parameters each day, there are many people here who would be happy to help you along with each step :)

Edited by CindiL

Let me share with you my personal philosophy, at least on goldfish (and one dog) at least. Please be patient with me. I am trying to get somewhere with this. :)

1. I am not a hippie, tree-hugger, etc. type person. I believe in using what works. Some of these are non-medication type stuff, and some are hard core meds.

2. I am a big believer in using whatever treatment ONLY when it's called for. For example, I have some really nice anti-diarrheals, and I will use them should I need, but I think you agree that it's a waste of money, not to mention extremely uncomfortable to take the meds, daily, just because you are a believer in using medications. The same goes for fish.

Having said that, let me please explain a little bit about pH and goldfish. Yes, it's really important that the pH stays close to the tap value, no matter what it is, unless the tap is lower than 7. In that case, what you want to do is to make sure that the pH is resistant to changing, and not actually changing the pH itself. Here then we want to boost the alkalinity, or kH, of the water, not to change the pH. The problem is that if you change the pH and doesn't have any means to ensure that it can fluctuate again, it will happen, and fluctuating pH is really stressful for fish.

A number of people have been reporting that Amquel Plus messes with the pH, so that is something that you might want to investigate in your system.

Instead of using proper pH, I'd like for you to check with your water utility what the kH/alkalinity value of the tap is. We can then decide if your water needs buffering to prevent pH swings. That can be accomplished using baking soda. :)

OMG I love your analogy! Interesting about the Amquel Plus. I used some the other day on two tanks but not the third and I tested today and could not figure out why my PH dropped super low on just two tanks but not on the other. Maybe that's why?Will be buying Prime by hte case so I never run out!

MK, definitely it's the Amquel. Guess who was having issues with Amquel and HER pH. I'll give you a big hint. This person is near you, I believe! :rofl

I always buy my Prime by the half gallon or gallon. That way, I don't have to worry for at least a couple of years. :rofl

Do you need to know what is the proper/safe range for all these tests? On the internet, the opinions vary drastically. I have never found an article on Koko's that has all that info in one place. Can anyone point me to a reference sheet? I don't want to misinform ElaineSelene. What the heck is high PH anyway? I test it but never really understood it, is it just a continuation of the regular PH measurement since the normal PH caps out? I would love to hear a gold standard of water parameters from a mod! I shoot for 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, nitrates under 20ppm, and a ph of 7.6 (but more importantly a consistent PH above 7) . I don't know what a good KH or GH is supposed to be. Thanks for starting this thread. I look forward to the answers.

MK, definitely it's the Amquel. Guess who was having issues with Amquel and HER pH. I'll give you a big hint. This person is near you, I believe! :rofl

I always buy my Prime by the half gallon or gallon. That way, I don't have to worry for at least a couple of years. :rofl

Half gallon per year= not enough water changes! :teehee

If you don't mind waiting for a few days to a week, I will have an article on this. I promised Koko some months ago, and then life took over. :o

But here's the quick answer, because I know I don't like to wait either :rofl

Amm: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: <20 (the closer to zero, the better)

kH: 100-150 (more is OK as well)

gH: 100-150 (more is OK as well)

pH: 7-8.4. The requirement here is stability, whatever the pH is.

As for the high pH test, the way the API freshwater master kit is designed, if you use the regular pH test, any water that has a pH of higher than 7.4-7.6 will just show up as essentially the same color. Then, to distinguish further, you will have to use the high pH test to see what your pH actually is.

Actually, Prime is a lot more concentrated than Amquel Plus, so half a gallon is A LOT. You only use one cap full (1 teaspoon, 5 ml) for every 50 gallons. :)

Err. Sorry I didn't mean to use offensive terminology for what I was trying to say as in horse terms "the natural horsemanship people" who go all in for herbs and nothing else. I don't know a word for them. :(

Thanks for the good advice! :)

Should I do a water change to get rid of some of the chemicals?

P.S. I don't have a test anymore that does KH or GH. And I have no money or anyone to get it for me. -_-; I'm too broke. I hope its ok.

Hehe. I don't want you to buy anything that's not necessary. I know that you are on a budget. :)

That's why I suggested that you call your water utility and ask about your water kH and gH. They have these values, since they test for them all the time. :)

You might want to do a water change, because the ammonia is creeping up, not because we necessarily want to get rid of the chemicals right away. Just don't add more of the proper pH for now. :)

Thanks for the info Alex! As always you do not disappoint! E.S. I think it is awesome that you are asking all the right questions (and that I am not the only one spending all of my extra cash on fish supplies!) Money wise, I keep a little wish list on my Ipad and when I see stuff that people here talk about, I write it down (who knew I would ever want a frozen blood worm cone feeder?!) then I shop around and price compare....then work a 14 hour shift like I am right now, then I buy! :happydance