Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
katiehuggins

snail bowl... what do I need?

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys!! I have a snail bowl that is some what coming together.... here is a list of what I have and, what I was planning on using

List:

Fish bowl, 2 gallons

Substrate, a mixture of river rocks and gravel

Plants, spider plants, (I love them soo much) and house plants

Inhabitant (s) a golden apple snail/golden mystery snail.

So, long story short I love apple snails! I think there so cool, but the goldfish would pick on it, and eventually eat it :( so I havent kept one for over a year, and I would really like to have one again and I have been reading up and doing my reaserch on snail bowls :) I have seen so many beautiful ones, and I am willing to put the time in for one..... and my mother is also up to it too :) she thinks it is a great idea :) so, I do have a light, but it is a desktop light would that work? And, I do have algae tablets... so isthis a great idea??

Edited by katiehuggins

Does it need a filter? I have seen mist without I was browsing and well I saw all of them without a filter.. is that ok?

Apple snails get really big, so you may need to choose a larger container to keep them. My friend Sam had one the size of a baseball. :o

So, are apple snails out of the question?

Edited by katiehuggins

Honestly, I don't think a apple snail (one) is out of the question in your set-up. Just keep an eye on his growth. Currently, I have 4 apples in my unfiltered snail bowl. They are the size of dimes and are growing out to be placed in the aquarium. I do a total water change once a week and have tested the water a couple of times before changing and it never registers ammonia or nitrite.

Soon, they are going into the aquarium and we will see how fast they grow. They are purple and I'm not sure if their size is more restricted than the yellows.

That said, I really like ramshorns and they come in prettier colors. You could certainly place several of those in your set-up, never have to worry about them outgrowing it - although you might quickly have too many pink and purple snails!

Honestly, I don't think a apple snail (one) is out of the question in your set-up. Just keep an eye on his growth. Currently, I have 4 apples in my unfiltered snail bowl. They are the size of dimes and are growing out to be placed in the aquarium. I do a total water change once a week and have tested the water a couple of times before changing and it never registers ammonia or nitrite.

Soon, they are going into the aquarium and we will see how fast they grow. They are purple and I'm not sure if their size is more restricted than the yellows.

That said, I really like ramshorns and they come in prettier colors. You could certainly place several of those in your set-up, never have to worry about them outgrowing it - although you might quickly have too many pink and purple snails!

Thanks motherredcap, I was also thinking about a black mystery snail, I was jealous of Chelsea's

I don't see why you couldn't have a young mystery snail, Katie. Just do what Susanne says. :) It is what I am doing! :rofl

-Using Tapatalk.

I don't see why you couldn't have a young mystery snail, Katie. Just do what Susanne says. :) It is what I am doing! :rofl-Using Tapatalk.

ok chelsea I will!! Scince I will be paying mom said I will be getting a bigger bowl..... our kahoots has enormous ones!! x)

And also only true apple snais will get the size of a baseball ,

Once you have it all set up your going to have to post some photo's. I'd love to see it!

I find Kahoot's so much more expensive then Petsmart and even Petco. I have a Kahoot's just down the road from where I live but will drive out of town to get to my favorite Petsmart any day. :D But then again, I do other errands also.

I've never heard of Kahoots. I can't take the name seriously :rofl

Good luck, Katie! Don't forget pics!

I will take pics, our friends own kahoots in the southern california area..... its ok telesc, I cant take the name either, my mom calls it khaootles x)