Sign in to follow this  
AnnaMNR

Does Hikari Oranda really help with wen growth?

41 posts in this topic

It's rather expensive for a small bag but I like big spongy wens. Is it worth the buy?

I wouldn't switch complete diets just for wen growth. Frozen bloodworms are great for developing big, cushy wens. ;)

I wouldn't switch complete diets just for wen growth. Frozen bloodworms are great for developing big, cushy wens. ;)

I'll keep that in mind! Thank you! How much a day would you give her?

It's rather expensive for a small bag but I like big spongy wens. Is it worth the buy?

Hikari Oranda Gold contains methionine, which is thought to be very helpful for wen growth. However, it is a floating pellet, which is not recommended. You should get the sinking equivalent, which is Hikari Lionhead. :)

Hikari Oranda Gold contains methionine, which is thought to be very helpful for wen growth. However, it is a floating pellet, which is not recommended. You should get the sinking equivalent, which is Hikari Lionhead. :)

I think I'll do a rotation of the Pro Gold, bloodworms, and Hikari Lionhead. Are freeze dried bloodworms just as good?

I would feed every other day. Always feed depending on the fish's weight as well as worm size. For example, if you buy the betta cubes, you'll need to feed more than if you buy SFB Gumdrops, which have massive worms.

Edit: No freeze dried food is good for goldfish. They expand as they rehydrate, causing swim bladder issues.

Edited by ChelseaM

I bought the bag of Hikari Lionhead specifically for Oranda's, and other fish with wen's. It's only been several weeks of using this product but I would give it a *star of 5*. I've had no problems with my fish digesting it either. Along with this sinking pellet I've been feeding my fish frozen bloodworms and frozen shrimp. I have seen a lot of wen growth in my Red Cap and Crowned Pearlscale. However, my other two fish that have wen's I have not seen the same amount of wen growth as the other two fish. With this said, I am still happy as ever to purchase this product. I was using the New Life Spectrum and the Omega One. I liked both of these also but one of my fish was having a little bit of a floating problem. Once I stopped those two pellets and am only using the Hikari Lionhead I've had NO problems at all. :)

With that all said above. All fish are different. All fish will grow at his/her own rate. It depends on a lot of other factors also. To name a few: Tank size? WC of how often? Stocking amount? I believe clean fresh water will help a fish develop well also.

I think I'll do a rotation of the Pro Gold, bloodworms, and Hikari Lionhead. Are freeze dried bloodworms just as good?

it's better frozen. Freeze dried anything don't have as many nutrients as it would frozen/live.

it's better frozen. Freeze dried anything don't have as many nutrients as it would frozen/live.

This is not quite true. The freeze dried stuff actually has MORE, because all the water's been removed.

The issue is the expansion in the gut during rehydration, causing problems.

Sorry. I read on here it had less. oops. :doh11:

I would feed every other day. Always feed depending on the fish's weight as well as worm size. For example, if you buy the betta cubes, you'll need to feed more than if you buy SFB Gumdrops, which have massive worms.

Edit: No freeze dried food is good for goldfish. They expand as they rehydrate, causing swim bladder issues.

No freeze dried food, got it. lol I will see what my lfs has in stock as far as frozen bloodworms go.

This is not quite true. The freeze dried stuff actually has MORE, because all the water's been removed.

The issue is the expansion in the gut during rehydration, causing problems.

Thank you for the explaination ^^

The Lionhead is my absolute favorite food. Make sure you get some veggies in with your HL, PG and BW plan.

Do you all feed the these bloodworms by san francisco bay bloodworms? I want to feed to my goldies but dont know what kind to get.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11164167&lmdn=Brand&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

The Lionhead is my absolute favorite food. Make sure you get some veggies in with your HL, PG and BW plan.

I'll do my best to find it! They didn't have any non cichlid Hikari at either of my lfs so I'll have to find it online. How much wen growth are we talking since starting the food?

Do you all feed the these bloodworms by san francisco bay bloodworms? I want to feed to my goldies but dont know what kind to get.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11164167&lmdn=Brand&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

I'm not sure, sorry

Sherry, Frozen bloodworms by Sally San Francisco Bay brand is what I have.

I also feed my fish the Hikari bloodworms.

The other kind I feed is the 50/50 Plus H2O Life. That has brine shrimp and bloodworms. I love both of these. I found on this site from searching this is what dxalex uses. Alex was great in helping me when I had asked about this.

I have all three in my freezer.

Added: I don't think I would worry to much how much a wen will grow from starting a food. I think it all varies. I've seen so many gorgeous fish with huge wen's. My two fish just turned a year of having them. One this month and the other actually next month. Both wen's are small considering. But they have developed a lot since I've started the Hikari food about a month ago.

Edited by 4prettyfish

Speaking of food. Would my fish eat chopped up mealworms and earth worms or would that be bad for them? The kind you buy as bait.

Sorry for asking.. but can hikari lionhead eat by the other goldfish that doesn't have wen?

Hi Jeff,

Yes, the Hikari can be fed to everyone. :)

I also like how the Hikari LH immediately sinks, doesn't crumble and foul the water and seems to be well tolerated by "All" of my goldfish. Maybe I should be their new spokesmodel :rofl

Edited by jmetzger72

Me three! Me three! Especially if I get a lifetime supply! :rofl

Hi Jeff,Yes, the Hikari can be fed to everyone. :)

:) I am going to get it than!

:thumbs: It's my favorite food right now. :)

Thanks for all the helpful info guys!

How do you feed frozen bloodworms? Just thaw a cube and drop them in the tank?