Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
anogoodrabblerouser

Examples of goldfish symptoms?

14 posts in this topic

I was wondering if we could develop a pinned post (if there's not one already) with pictures and examples of sick fish symptoms like flashing, gill clamping, floating problems, etc. I think it would be a great reference for fish newbs like me!

I was wondering if we could develop a pinned post (if there's not one already) with pictures and examples of sick fish symptoms like flashing, gill clamping, floating problems, etc. I think it would be a great reference for fish newbs like me!

While these lists are nice, I would strongly encourage you to post and consult with members of the forum, rather than making your own diagnosis.

While these lists are nice, I would strongly encourage you to post and consult with members of the forum, rather than making your own diagnosis.

I was actually just about to post this. Sniped by Mr. Cleverbot

I wasn't thinking as a replacement for asking, I just meant so we know what certain symptoms look for :)

Thanks for the link, Helen!

I was actually just about to post this. Sniped by Mr. Cleverbot

got to have the quick fingers :lol

Oh, I think she meant like a list of specific symptoms of disease with pictures so that when we see one of those symptoms show up in our fish we know that something's not right in general and can start a d&d thread. I think.

:idont

But the goldfish disease page does have a lot of pictures for reference ;) If it's missing anything, a quick google would suffice as well :) It's a nice idea though~

When in doubt, ask. The problem is that different things can have the same symptoms.

When in doubt, ask. The problem is that different things can have the same symptoms.

Oh, definitely ask if you think your fish is sick. I'm just referring to symptoms of general sickness/disease without a designated diagnosis. Like not understanding or knowing what clamping, inflammation, or flashing, etc. is or looks like :) Just clarifying

Yes, that's what I meant. When I first started I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between flashing and an energetic fish, for example.

A very good resource for this is Johnson & Hess's Fancy Goldfish book. It is definitely on the must-have list for goldfish keeping. :)

I think this is a good idea also. There are many times when I have had to explain (or others have) what 'clamping' is or what 'flashing' looks like. A lot of times I have wished that I had a video or photo to show what it was, as words aren't always enough. While YouTube is often a go-to place to find these things, it would be a good idea to have our own reliable database of examples to go off of. :)

Edited by ChelseaM

that list is what brought me to kokos, over 6 years ago. :)