Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NeonVodka

Breeding stars?

About how old were your goldfish before they starting showing breeding stars and/or thick pectoral fins? One of my goldies is about a year old, and since I see a lack of both I'm beginning to think its a female.

I think cow was 3 or 4 when I started seeing them....

My male ranchu was only 4 mo when I noticed both. He was in a tank with 2 female ranchu and I think that made things progress because he was "stimulated" :idont

My male ranchu was only 4 mo when I noticed both. He was in a tank with 2 female ranchu and I think that made things progress because he was "stimulated"
:lol:

There are two other goldies with him/her and none are showing signs. They are probably four months old themselves. Two are commons that I talked a guy fishing with to let me have. They're both beautiful, especially Clause. His tail is filling out nicely.

Breeding tubercles can occur very early on, as Flipper indicated. Being in the presence of a spawning female helps, as she releases hormones for tubercle growth.

It's also true that with some males, you may see very little, or none.

Do you have pics of your fish? Close ups of vents and pectoral fins are very helpful. :)

They are a little squirmy and fast moving little buggers, but I will try :)

Edit: I tried my best with my crappy little phone, and in between wriggling, angry goldies here is what I have. I apologize ahead of time. :no:

First up: Clause.

28pw0.jpg

Rosie:

20k3jbb.jpg

Oshi:

zvbzo5.jpg

Again, I apologize for the fuzziness of these.

Though, for everyone else, I will add a few photos of them in the "inspection bowl".

Oshi:

28gt3rt.jpg

Clause:

5arvxd.jpg

Rosie:

28i8fia.jpg

I have to say, aside from being splashed a few times, for their first inspection like this they took it really well.

My Cal didn't show a single breeding star, until he was over a year. Pumpkin, on the other hand, is with me a year today. I see some on his fins, but non on his face. :)

I think that they didn't show them because Cleo, my only lady, wasn't ready to spawn. :)

My first fish showed his first signs at around 1 year 2 months old and my youngest was around 8 months