Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MummyDJ

Eggs! Eggs! I have eggs!

So in amongst the drama of having ill fish, I find a little surprise on my bogwood.

Winnie and Archa have been busy despite illness.

Posted Image

What should I do with them? If I take them out I don't really have room for more fish. Leave them in and they get eaten by parents.

I'm also kinda curious to see what a Ryukin/black moor mix would look like. So I have a dilema.

If you have zero room and no possibility for an upgrade, let the fish eat them. But I would personally do the total opposite and raise them lol

If I had people willing to take them on once they've grown a little i'll go ahead and try to raise them.

I'd be curious as to what they'd look like too!!

IF my goldies laid eggs & they hatched I would FIND A PLACE to keep a couple of them AT LEAST!!!!

Do you have a sterilite tub? (Spelling) maybe they could go in there..... I would be curious to see what they turn out like too!! :)

Neat. I would also try to find a way to keep a few! The eggs that get a stringy mold around them should probably be removed, as that usually means they were not fertilized. They will go bad and contaminate the water.

eggs! that's awesome!

Wheeeee! Hooray for eggs!

I have saved 2 eggs! My thinking is, if they hatch then great! If not then at least I tried. :-)

They're currently reside in an old peanut butter jar that's been trough the dishwasher about 3 times with some tank water.

What do I need to do? Water changes? Plants?

Without room, I'd let the parents eat the eggs and clean up what is left. If you have the means to raise fry AND have future homes for them lined up (there's already too much fish at the LFS, so taking them to the LFS where they may end up in a kindergarten kid's fish bowl is not a responsible thing to do), then I would not raise any.

Since you only have 2 eggs, put them in a shallow container with tank water and wait until they hatch.

When they hatch, they look like eye lashes with tiny eyes. For the first 24-48 hours they will either hang on the wall or plant etc or roll on the bottom, looking dead. Simply leave them alone. During that time they still have a yolk sack from which they get their nutrients. After that they will swim around and you will have to provide food.

The best food is freshly hatched baby brine shrimp. If you do this, do NOT follow the package directions as this will yield way too many BBS to be consumed by two fry. Instead, mix up a solution of salt water (2 tbsp salt per 1 liter of water), if possible inside an upside down half liter soda bottle (so the bottom is cone shaped), with an air stone at the very bottom to keep the water moving, and the bottom end of the bottle (now the top since turned upside down) cut off.

Then add a pinch of brine shrimp egg mix to the bottle. BBS will hatch within about 24 hours. Suck them out with a turkey baster to feed to the fry. A tad of salt water will not harm your fry.

Alternatively you could buy food for fish fry, some LFS will carry it. Either liquid or powder form. In a pinch, you can boil eggs and feed a tad of boiled yolk, but it makes the water dirty quickly.

Water changes VERY gently. It is more important to clean up leftover food and do small w/c than just doing big w/c.

Water depth optimally at 6" or less, since deeper water causes too much water pressure for some fry to handle. Plants as cover are fine, but not necessary.

Room temperature is just fine for the fry.

Thank you for the info Fang. I only rescued the eggs because I have a future home lined up in the form of a pond.

That is of course IF they are fertile, hatch and survive.

Thank you so much for the info. :-)

You can tell if they are fertile, by the color. If they turn white, they are not. If they are clear/yellow(ish), then they are likely to be fertile. :)

I'll have a good look tomorrow. I don't think they are fertile.

How egg-citing. :D

I wonder what they'll look like. A ryukin/black moor cross sounds interesting.

they look a little on the opaque side to me, ie, not fertilized or that could be just the flash, any progress?

Are you egg-static, or is that an egg-xistentialist question? :rofl :rofl :rofl

Are you egg-static, or is that an egg-xistentialist question? :rofl :rofl :rofl

an egg-squisit eggs-ample of the egg-lish language :tomuch:

Egg-xactly! Although some people might consider this an egg-gregious egg-sample of derailing a topic! :rofl

*mr burns voice* egg-celent!

haha :P:booty

:doh11:

I see you two are good at egg-spressing yourself. :rofl

we're just egg-cited! aren't you? :rofl

Well, we are on the egg-spress train to crazy-ville, which you started, Daniel! :rofl

egg-xactly!!

Edited by Helen
duh, i spelled the stupid word wrong! O.o

Well this was fun; nothing beats an egg-static conversation. :rofl

(Sorry for derailing your thread, Celina.)