Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
redgold54

Stocking a 110 gallon

So I have a 110 gallon tank and I want to stock it with goldfish. Now, I was wondering if it is advisable to keep feeder fish. I don't want to feed them to anything, just keep them as regular fish. And how many can I keep in a 110?

Sure you can and we dont call them feeder fish... they are commons or comets. :heart

They need 20 gallons per fish :) they would love a 110 gallon tank :)

Sure you can and we dont call them feeder fish... they are commons or comets. :heart

They need 20 gallons per fish :) they would love a 110 gallon tank :)

Exactly! :)

That tank would great, and 5 is the perfect number to work with. :)

I agree. And don't let anyone tell you they are cheap or junky fish. I have a pond full of them and they are awesome!

With 5 in the 110, and proper care, extremely fast.

At first mine were growing about half an inch a month until they hit about 6" then they slowed down. Im not including the tail either.

Can common and fancy live together?

Yes I have done it without problems

Yes I have done it without problems

I'm doing it right now haha :rofl

Yes but not the really round ones. Fantails do well but the really slow fish don't seem to get enough to eat when with long bodied goldfish. But if you teach handfeeding or give them a special spot for their food should work out.

Edited by Hidr

I have never had a problem with fancies not getting their share. As a matter of fact, my big green tub pond has a mixture of fancies (pearlscale X fantail) and shubunkins all from last summer's fry. The fancies are almost all longer than the shubies, and considering that some of them are as round as a pearlscale, that makes them much, much larger fish. The reason appears to be eating. The fancies are always first to the food. That probably comes from Mama Pearls, who was always the slowest fish in the tank and the first to the food.

The one concern I have about fancies in with long-bodied fish is that spawning can be really rough if you have one or a few fancy females and several pond-type males. The boys have an innate attraction to large or fat females (likely to produce more offspring), and can get pretty rough. If the ratio of females to males is high, this does not present a problem. In my back pond I have two males and 10 females, half of the latter are fancies. Everybody is fine.

I have never had a problem with fancies not getting their share. As a matter of fact, my big green tub pond has a mixture of fancies (pearlscale X fantail) and shubunkins all from last summer's fry. The fancies are almost all longer than the shubies, and considering that some of them are as round as a pearlscale, that makes them much, much larger fish. The reason appears to be eating. The fancies are always first to the food. That probably comes from Mama Pearls, who was always the slowest fish in the tank and the first to the food.

The one concern I have about fancies in with long-bodied fish is that spawning can be really rough if you have one or a few fancy females and several pond-type males. The boys have an innate attraction to large or fat females (likely to produce more offspring), and can get pretty rough. If the ratio of females to males is high, this does not present a problem. In my back pond I have two males and 10 females, half of the latter are fancies. Everybody is fine.

I agree with this. I put the food into the tank in multiple places so they all have plenty of time to go up and find some.

My fancies don't have any problems getting access to the food either. None of them are slow. :rofl

Shakaho's point about male/female ratios are very important.

Ive found my comets and shubunkins etc tend to be more top feeders.

And my moors n butterfly tails to be bottom feeders.

So maybe a mix of floating and sinking pellets. In different locations may help.

110 gal. Very nice

Ive found my comets and shubunkins etc tend to be more top feeders.

And my moors n butterfly tails to be bottom feeders.

So maybe a mix of floating and sinking pellets. In different locations may help.

110 gal. Very nice

I personally wouldn't have floating pellets where fancies are concerned. There's really no way to keep them from coming up an eating the singletails' food.

I have 2 common GF, both of whom started life as "feeders." They are now 3.5" and 6" and doing great! I consider it a rescue to help a "feeder" have a better life. :)

Congratulations on the 110g tank. That's awesome. :)

Looking forward to seeing photo's/video.