Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tbelle0413

My husband did it again....

My husband just wont quit.. since we've gotten rid of those two rotten eating fin fish, my husband just got home from a fishing trip and caught a baby fresh water catfish, which is very tiny now... I was glad that I was home, because I took the baby catfish and put it in the quarantine tank that I have set up. If i wasn't home I would have bet he would have put it in the goldfish tank... He really wants to keep the baby catfish, is it a good idea when the quarantine is over to introduce the fish into the main tank. My biggest concern is if the catfish gets really big he eats Horacio (black moor) and Jorge (redcap).

Catfish are really not compatible with goldfish. Plus they get very large (as you already stated), so they are really not suited for an aquarium. The catfish will likely eat your other fish when he gets large enough. The catfish may also be carrying some nasty pathogens that could spread to your fish given that he is from an uncontrolled natural habitat.

I would really urge your husband to bring him back to his natural habitat.

It sounds like your husband needs a tank of his own ;) perhaps a tropical tank where he is able to keep many fish of different (but compatible) species? Do you guys have room/funds to set something like that up?

Unfortunately, the best tankmates for goldfish are goldfish. There aren't a lot of fish that are considered compatible with goldies. Loaches, and bristlenose or rubberlip plecos pretty much covers it.... and snails :P

That catfish will also need to be treated for parasites, such as flukes.

Good luck! :)

Thank you guys so much, I will definitely let him, we can afford another tank, but with a baby on the way I think it would be too much...

I dont think he needs a tank. I think you should get him a pass to a local aquarium. Than he cant take anything home :)

I just want to say Congratulations on the soon to be new member of your family. "Your baby" :)

Enough was already said about the catfish.

I just want to say Congratulations on the soon to be new member of your family. "Your baby" :)

Enough was already said about the catfish.

agreed! congratulations! I can totally understand not wanting to setup another tank with a little one on the way! perhaps by the time you have the baby your husband will be so busy with the little one that he will not attempt to add anymore fish to your tank :P

Catfish are really not compatible with goldfish. Plus they get very large (as you already stated), so they are really not suited for an aquarium. The catfish will likely eat your other fish when he gets large enough. The catfish may also be carrying some nasty pathogens that could spread to your fish given that he is from an uncontrolled natural habitat.

I would really urge your husband to bring him back to his natural habitat.

It sounds like your husband needs a tank of his own ;) perhaps a tropical tank where he is able to keep many fish of different (but compatible) species? Do you guys have room/funds to set something like that up?

Unfortunately, the best tankmates for goldfish are goldfish. There aren't a lot of fish that are considered compatible with goldies. Loaches, and bristlenose or rubberlip plecos pretty much covers it.... and snails :P

+1

Thank you everyone, that's what I told him.. He promised he won't bring anymore fish. ..

Thank you everyone, that's what I told him.. He promised he won't bring anymore fish. ..

what a good husband :)

Sounds like he needs a pond. And a smack upside the head.

Could be worse. He could be bringing home dogs and cats all the time. :)

Oh we already have a white German Shepard,and he has brought a baby bird before but thank goodness it learned how to fly in a day. I did give him permission to change the style of our tank next time.