Kokos Goldfish Forum

Hi, hope everyone's well. :) I was finally at my wits end with Amquel Plus when it crashed my pH and went out to Petsmart today and picked up some Prime. The only thing I can't get are the dosages. I scoured their website and found nada. Can someone tell me the measurements for one gallon and ten gallons? How much does 1 mL treat? My tank is 29 gallons and I currently change my water via bucket and milk jug.

I use Prime and have always used 1mL per 10 gallons with a lot of success :) I measure using 3cc syringes I get from work, but I think the rings inside the bottle top can also be used for measuring? You can pre-treat for the size of the tank - I use a python and gradually add the Prime as I'm adding water. Love it, haven't had any problems so far! Only thing is....if you spill it on a rug....good luck ever getting the smell out

1 ml per 10 gallons is correct. I like to dose for the entire tank volume, with every water change, as it also detoxifies other things. :)

In your case, I'd pick up a medicine syringe, to get the most accurate dosing.

Okay, what about 1 gallon? The only way I can refill my water is treating individual gallons.

Just dose the tank, for the whole tank volume, and add your water as you please. Your fish will be perfectly safe.

If you try to dose for such a small amount, I fear you'll overdose by quite a large margin.

Edited by yafashelli

Okay, what about 1 gallon? The only way I can refill my water is treating individual gallons.

2 drops per gallon. However, you can just add the full dose to the tank before adding the tap water. I would use just under a capful for your 29 gallon.

2 drops per gallon. However, you can just add the full dose to the tank before adding the tap water. I would use just under a capful for your 29 gallon.

What implement would you use for a drop? I imagine not all drops are created equal? :idont

I've always wondered that, actually...

What implement would you use for a drop? I imagine not all drops are created equal? :idont

I've always wondered that, actually...

Good question. One of my bottles had the dropper-type lid. So I just keep transferring it from bottle to bottle. The Aqueon water conditioner dropper lids work, too. I measured this out awhile back. So, I use 7 drops for my 3.5 gallon buckets. But normally, I do what you do which is to pre-treat the tank with the cap ( 1 full cap for 50 gallons, etc.).

Edited by jmetzger72

I have a small bottle of Prime that has a dropper top also. That's what I use for the 10 gallon betta tank. :D I haven't seen one with a dropper top in the stores for quite some time. Mine is years and years old. I just refill it from my big bottle. :teehee

Here it is:

IMG_20130716_210019_675.jpg

To be honest, I usually overdose a bit. And I have never had a problem with Prime and my pH. But, it's not cheap. So, I try not to waste it.

Here is mine. :o

Posted Image

Some fish are looking for dinner. :rofl

:peeka I see Waddles. :teehee

The reason I am stressing the 1-gallon dosage is because I cannot change out more than 30% of water at a time because a- I'll pass out from exhaustion\craziness and b- I'll spill water all over my mother's prized hardwood floor. To combat this, I change 10-20% daily. That's where the treating-the-whole-tank thing might not work out. But then the fact that treating the individual gallon may not be accurate really leaves my stumped :idont I really want to get a python, but I'm not sure if my sink allows it.

:peeka I see Waddles. :teehee

Isn't that a book? Where's Waddles?

The reason I am stressing the 1-gallon dosage is because I cannot change out more than 30% of water at a time because a- I'll pass out from exhaustion\craziness and b- I'll spill water all over my mother's prized hardwood floor. To combat this, I change 10-20% daily. That's where the treating-the-whole-tank thing might not work out. But then the fact that treating the individual gallon may not be accurate really leaves my stumped :idont I really want to get a python, but I'm not sure if my sink allows it.

Okay, 10% of 30 gallons would be 3 gallons. So, you would add about 6 drops to the tank and then add the 3 gallons of tap water. However, small water changes aren't really effective for lowering Nitrates, etc. So, I would recommend larger water changes when you get a python. There are adapters for all kinds of sinks.

Edited by jmetzger72

I wouldn't worry about overdosing using drops. This would be pretty hard to do considering you can dose up to 5x the recommended amount of prime safely ;)