Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Balaylee

Cleaning Filters From Saltwater Aquarium?

I recently got a used 75 gallon tank with a Fluval 304 canister, heaters, airpumps etc. My main problem right now is the canister filter because it has a lot of salt residue. I have no idea how much salt could be deep inside the filter since I can hear some moving around. Is it easy to take apart? What would be the best cleaning method?

Canister filters are relatively easy to take apart. You can remove the media from it (if there's some in there) and run hot water through it for about 5 minutes. That will dissolve and flush out any salt residue in the filter. Where do you hear the rattling? Is it in the canister or the lid?

I'd really recommend disinfecting the equipment you have, including the filter. Hot water should be plenty for the filter if you let it run through for a few minutes, but I usually fill a bucket with a 4ppm Potassium permanganate solution, stick the intake and outtake tubing in, and let it run through the filter for a few hours. Very easy to do and no effort required :) You can then add a few caps of seachem prime to the bucket to deactivate the PP- then your filter can be rinsed with some clean water and set up for use.

The rattling seems to be under the impeller and it seems to be just large chunks of salt. Where can I find Potassium permanganate?

Run the hot water through it first, and see if that stops the rattling.

Potassium permanganate should sell in chemists in the disinfectants isle. a 50g bottle of it is plenty, and will probably last you for a good 5+ years. If you do get it, post back here and I can give you instructions to make up a stock solution. It stains very easily on skin and on surfaces, so wear gloves and make sure you're using it in a sink or bath. It's a purple crystal powder :)

Edited by Narny105

Salt is soluble in water, so it might be calcium you are dealing with. Calcium build up is very common in salt water tanks in the form of coraline algae and the like. If that's the case, you'll need to soak it in a solution of vinegar and water to dissolve the calcium. It's best if the filter is running when you do it. You may need to brush off what you can see when you're done, because it is tough stuff.