Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
abcdomo

Fry once again:)

Yesterday Bear and Zora spawned and as I cleaned my tank today I saw little eyes and I just couldn't let them go down the drain. I tried raising fry once before and thought why not try it again..but I pretty much forgot some things..I know that they shouldn't be in water higher than 6 inches. Not sure if that's right..and I do have a few questions like..How should I do water changes so I don't hurt them and how often? Is it ok if I just keep them in a container outside the tank and what do you feed them? Last time I did the liquid egg yolk stuff. And when I feed them that should I do a water change afterwards? Also they are on my one plant can I just keep the plant in the container they are in or should i try to get them off the plant?

Edited by abcdomo

Good luck! :)

You can leave them on the plant it should be fine. Mine are usually all over anubias but I pick them off cos the anubias are so big I don't like taking them out of the tank. I have about six little crypts floating in the tank with the babies now. mine are in a six quart steralite container by themselves you definitely don't want to leave them in the tank some people put them in breeder nets but I don't think I would trust it. Mine for the most part are eating hakari first bites but you should feed them very little at a time and frequently. About once a day I take a turkey baster and remove as much of the uneaten food as I can so it doesn't super ick the water

Edited by katearei

Sounds like solid advice! :) I'm learning about fry-care myself. Best of luck to you!!

You can leave them on the plant it should be fine. Mine are usually all over anubias but I pick them off cos the anubias are so big I don't like taking them out of the tank. I have about six little crypts floating in the tank with the babies now. mine are in a six quart steralite container by themselves you definitely don't want to leave them in the tank some people put them in breeder nets but I don't think I would trust it. Mine for the most part are eating hakari first bites but you should feed them very little at a time and frequently. About once a day I take a turkey baster and remove as much of the uneaten food as I can so it doesn't super ick the water

should I change the water while they are still in the egg? like a little one I wasn't sure if they need a certain environment other than clean already dechlorinated water. Like oxygeninated..

To be honest I didn't do my first changes until they were a few days old and eating cos I didn't want to shock them. If tthey're still in the egg it might not hurt but once they hatch you've got to be super careful

To be honest I didn't do my first changes until they were a few days old and eating cos I didn't want to shock them. If tthey're still in the egg it might not hurt but once they hatch you've got to be super careful

I think I just might do it now so then the water is clean when they hatch..I have a eye dropper to get the waste and extra food when they do hatch and a turkey bastor. I'm so eggcited since this time around I have a lot more fertile eggs than last time:)

I'm excited for you! This has been my first time too so I'm learning as I go as well

I'm excited for you! This has been my first time too so I'm learning as I go as well

Well I've had fry before but I didn't know what I was doing and it was months ago so I have forgotten everything but good luck to you I can't wait to see pictures of yours I believe I've seen some of your posts though:)

I actually lost most of mine cos I haven't recieved the filter I ordered and my back up air pump just about died and I haven't recieved the new one yet either so my water kept going bad really quickly whether I did water changes or not but the way they're laying eggs I'll get it right. It's been every few days for the passed month or more given I only get about 20 at a time lmao but still they're going at it like rabbits I swear. Right now I have one in a tiny bowl by the big tank in hopes I can keep it alive

I actually lost most of mine cos I haven't recieved the filter I ordered and my back up air pump just about died and I haven't recieved the new one yet either so my water kept going bad really quickly whether I did water changes or not but the way they're laying eggs I'll get it right. It's been every few days for the passed month or more given I only get about 20 at a time lmao but still they're going at it like rabbits I swear. Right now I have one in a tiny bowl by the big tank in hopes I can keep it alive

Sorry to hear that hopefully it goes a lot smoother here on out:)

That all depends on whether amazon wants to send my package. It had an arrival date of yesterday but says it hasn't even shipped yet

I would like to see photos of your babies tho

That all depends on whether amazon wants to send my package. It had an arrival date of yesterday but says it hasn't even shipped yet

I would like to see photos of your babies tho

I bought a battery off of there june 6th..it still isn't here haha..But hopefully both our packages come soon. And I'll try to get pictures once they hatch:)

my fry started hatching today:)

Photos!!! Your package has takenridiculously long to get to you i hope itcomes soon s

Photos!!! Your package has takenridiculously long to get to you i hope itcomes soon s

I'm trying to get photos but my camera is having a hard time focusing on them. Question though two or three of my fry have this like white film stuff around them is this bad or what should I do?

I'm not sure about that D: I guess just ride it out. If they don't make it just be sure to get them out quickly.

Or maybe separate them into a different container

I'm not sure about that D: I guess just ride it out. If they don't make it just be sure to get them out quickly.

Or maybe separate them into a different container

I think I'll seperate them into different containers.

I'm not too keen on euthanizing them if they don't make it than that's ok but I don't think I could do it so I think moving them is the best option

I'm not too keen on euthanizing them if they don't make it than that's ok but I don't think I could do it so I think moving them is the best option

Yea I'm the same way..I just wish I knew a better way on raising fry and what's suppose to go on each day because sometimes I'm like aren't they suppose to be swimming..is this suppose to happen..etc.etc.

Mine usually start swimming the second day after they hatch and that's when I start feeding them they may not eat at first but the way I figure at least it's avaliabe to them

Mine usually start swimming the second day after they hatch and that's when I start feeding them they may not eat at first but the way I figure at least it's avaliabe to them

They move around here and there but they aren't swimming around yet.

You can see their little egg sacs on their bellies. Once those disappear or get close to disappearing is usually when they start actually swimming and that's when they need food for their tiny bellies

So maybe by tom they will start swimming it's getting there

First you'll see them looking like they're drunk not quite sure what they're doing and they'll start hanging at the surface just kind of floating there and then they'll start swimming a little less drunk like