Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Avepico

Looking for a new staple food

I use NLS the smallest size (1mm) and my fish and I love it! I feed bloodworms and lettuce once a week as well.

Thanks for the thread, I have noticed this same poop issue with my commoms since switching to pro gold. What is NLS?

Thanks for the thread, I have noticed this same poop issue with my commoms since switching to pro gold. What is NLS?

New Life Spectrum (brand) :)

MMK: Petco carries New Life Spectrum (nls) in my area. I don't believe I've seen any at petsmart before though.

They are not at my Petsmart, either. However, Petsmart does carry Omega One in larger sizes, while Petco does not!

Weird stores! :rofl

Mine get omega one as their staple pellet. I have the really tiny ones for my smaller fish and the medium ones for the larger fish and they love it. They can't seem to get enough of it and they've been eating that for a few weeks and I've not had any problems. They get vegis and frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp in the evening

I just recently ordered Hikari Lionhead and received it last Friday. I am loving it. If your fish have wens it's suppose to be great for wen growth. One of my Oranda's was developing a light case of floatiness so I decided to change foods to this kind.

You were talking about NLS. I was feeding the Omega One and NLS. I did notice right away that the NLS is the smallest pellet out of the three, then it's Omega, then the Hikari Lionhead. The Hikari sinks immediately. I can definitely tell this food is heavier. I've always liked the other two pellets also but am sticking with the Hikari for now.

I hope you find a new pellet that you and your fish are happy with. :)

These are the three I am currently using with no floaty issues.

Looking at Hikari foods I am assuming the purple bag referred to is the fancy goldfish food. I was comparing numbers to the Goldfish staple food and saw the staple has lower crude protein and fat. Would the staple be better since goldies are more herbivorous with supplemental frozen proteins? Or, keeping in mind that younger fish need more protein and fat for growth, will older fish be okay with the higher protein that the little ones need? I have four fish in three very distinct sizes and want my "staple" food to be a best all around food for the group.

I have fed the Hikari staple with good results - in both pellet sizes as well as Lionhead, but my fish also does well on Pro-gold. The only food he does not tolerate is Soilent Green.

When things were going poorly with the SG, I attributed it to the additional protein although I have no way of really knowing.

I have fed the Hikari staple with good results - in both pellet sizes as well as Lionhead, but my fish also does well on Pro-gold. The only food he does not tolerate is Soilent Green.

When things were going poorly with the SG, I attributed it to the additional protein although I have no way of really knowing.

Mine are the opposite, they do great on SG and get a bit plugged up on PG. Silly fishies all have to be different :wacko:

I just ordered some Hikari Lionhead, purely because Jared likes it. If it doesn't work out, I will just take one of his fish as penalty! :rofl

I just ordered some Hikari Lionhead, purely because Jared likes it. If it doesn't work out, I will just take one of his fish as penalty! :rofl

:rofl

Lionhead and oranda are about 80% of the dry feed I use along with saki purple making up the rest. (Lionhead in tanks and clear ponds, oranda for greenwater ponds so I get a chance to see the fish and can tell if they are or are not eating.)

My sxk ranchu spawn from January have been on lionhead exclusively for 4 months.

Edited by Ichthius

A couple days into the Omega One and it has been interesting. The smaller pellets have changed the feeding dynamic. Annie continues to be the queen of feed, gulping huge amounts in one fell swoop. Hoover still hasn't adjusted to his bulk and has issues targeting the small bits. Monkey has had slight swim issues since I have had him, he floats a bit more nose up and has to backfin more, causing the small pellets to spin away from him. Shadow is the smallest and is reaping the whirlwind, he gets so much more then he used to.

Not surprisingly, I have seen larger poos than I like out of Annie and Shadow while Monkey and Hoover spend more time grazing on the tank algae.

One thing you might want to try is to spread that amount of food along the entire length of the tank. That way, even if the greedy ones want to get them all, they won't be able to. :)

It seems to me like more of an issue of who wants to search for the food. They are on a fast right now, didn't get dinner and won't get breakfast, but I will try and get video of tomorrow's dinner to see what people think.

Alex, I want to know what you think of the Hikari Lionhead once you've recieved and used it.

One thing you might want to try is to spread that amount of food along the entire length of the tank. That way, even if the greedy ones want to get them all, they won't be able to. :)

This what I do.

Alex, I want to know what you think of the Hikari Lionhead once you've recieved and used it.

Most definitely! I order through Amazon, where with Prime-free shipping, the 12 ounce bag was only $15.40.

http://www.amazon.com/Hikari-12-3-Ounce-Lionhead-Sinking-Pellets/dp/B003WRE9M8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1373866587&sr=8-3&keywords=hikari+lionhead

Hopefully it will ship in the next day or two, and I will get it by the end of the week. :)

I've fed nearly every food there is :rofl and honestly they all have their good points! I tend to use progold/omega one/hikari/NLS when fish are smaller to really get them growing and as they get larger switch to more repashy and less pellets which in my experience has had less problems with SBD problems and gulping which I've only seen in my larger fish.

We've got Lionhead on sale for $10.99 right now, and with out $4.99 flat rate shipping (within lower 48 states) you're looking at $15.98 if that is all you purchase. If you purchase more than one item, the shipping remains the same!

Great deal Chris!

OK all you lionhead people, get ordering! :rofl

We've got Lionhead on sale for $10.99 right now, and with out $4.99 flat rate shipping (within lower 48 states) you're looking at $15.98 if that is all you purchase. If you purchase more than one item, the shipping remains the same!

Chris, I completely forgot about the flat rate shipping. :(

Could you modify the ad on here and else with that? I think it's a huge selling point! :)

Chris, I completely forgot about the flat rate shipping. :(

Could you modify the ad on here and else with that? I think it's a huge selling point! :)

Great idea! The ad was looking a bit stale for some reason :).

Edited by tastyworms

Most definitely! I order through Amazon, where with Prime-free shipping, the 12 ounce bag was only $15.40.

http://www.amazon.com/Hikari-12-3-Ounce-Lionhead-Sinking-Pellets/dp/B003WRE9M8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1373866587&sr=8-3&keywords=hikari+lionhead

Hopefully it will ship in the next day or two, and I will get it by the end of the week. :)

I use Amazon Prime, too! I love it. I also just started Omega One Shrimp Pellets with my big fish. Do you use these?