Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Avepico

Looking for a new staple food

As I have been trying out different foods for my goldies, I have noticed that they have more issues with constipation from Pro-Gold and am debating to switching them to a different staple since I am getting near the end of the bag of Pro-Gold.

Currently they get Pro-Gold as a staple, Repashy SG 2-3 times a week, a frozen brine shrimp/beef heart cocktail 1-2 a week, duckweed 1-2 a week, and veggies periodically based on what we have in the house. They usually fast once a week.

Does anyone suggest a better staple? Repashy or NLS come to mind but I am open to suggestions. Or should I be looking at a different suspect to the constipation?

BTW, by constipation I mean much longer poops. We are not having any floatiness or other issues. Just happy looking GF with big huge poos after Pro-Gold.

Are you just feeding too much of the Pro Gold at a time to your guys? The longer Poops happened to Clementine before I found the right balance of pellets per feeding.

I've tried various staples, and Pro Gold is what I've decided to stick with. I hope you find one that works for you!

If you have not tried, and are thinking pellets, you could try NLS, Saki Hikari, or Omega One. :)

Are you just feeding too much of the Pro Gold at a time to your guys? The longer Poops happened to Clementine before I found the right balance of pellets per feeding.

I've tried various staples, and Pro Gold is what I've decided to stick with. I hope you find one that works for you!

I have decreased the amount I feed and it has made a huge difference. It was having 10-14 inch poos to 2-4 inch poos on Pro-Gold. On the other foods though, I see 1/8 to 1/2 inch poos and less of the clear "casing". I am concerned about decreasing more because my less aggressive ones won't get their share competing against the more active feeders.

If you have not tried, and are thinking pellets, you could try NLS, Saki Hikari, or Omega One. :)

I like pellets as a staple for the ease of use. Having said that, I can adjust my life to allow other options. Do you think that switching off of pellets all together is a better plan? A different staple and pellets as a treat?

I had issues with ProGold as well. I have had better luck with NLS and Hikari Lionhead. I also feel that a midday veggie meal of lettuce helps to reduce constipation. My current diet which has resulted in no constipation is: Hikari Lionhead alternating with NLS in the am, raw red leaf lettuce at midday, and Repashy Solient Green alternating with frozen bloodworms in the pm. I also saok my pellets before feeding and follow the 2 minute rule.

Edited by jmetzger72

I had issues with ProGold as well. I have had better luck with NLS and Hikari Lionhead. I also feel that a midday veggie meal of lettuce helps to reduce constipation. My current diet which has resulted in no constipation is: Hikari Lionhead alternating with NLS in the am, raw red leaf lettuce at midday, and Repashy Solient Green alternating with frozen bloodworms in the pm. I also saok my pellets before feeding and follow the 2 minute rule.

:goodpost:

Avepico, I think whether you want to continue with pellets or not is a matter of preference. :)

I am also wondering if the Pro Gold issue could be related to fish size. Alex and I have both experienced good results with smaller pellet sizes. I imagine that larger fish would do quite well on Pro Gold. It has a great ingredient list.

My thinking is that part of the reason why smaller pellets help so much is that they can't grab so much food at once and stuff it in their mouths. Also, as the smaller pellets sit in the water, they get a chance to be soaked through.

I'm not sure, but they work well.

Right now, for all of my fish, I rotate between NLS, Pro-Gold, Omega One, and GC Shrimp Pellets for 1-2 meals a day. The other meal is either frozen bloodworms, frozen brine, frozen krill, GC Spirulina flakes, or GC salad supreme. So far, there hasn't been any floaty issues (knock on wood!). :rofl

My thinking is that part of the reason why smaller pellets help so much is that they can't grab so much food at once and stuff it in their mouths. Also, as the smaller pellets sit in the water, they get a chance to be soaked through.

I'm not sure, but they work well.

Right now, for all of my fish, I rotate between NLS, Pro-Gold, Omega One, and GC Shrimp Pellets for 1-2 meals a day. The other meal is either frozen bloodworms, frozen brine, frozen krill, GC Spirulina flakes, or GC salad supreme. So far, there hasn't been any floaty issues (knock on wood!). :rofl

So, Alex have you noticed a slight change in NLS? The pellets seem to be swelling more than before?

I haven't really noticed that, but I have noticed that they seem to crumble more easily. *shrug*

I have decreased the amount I feed and it has made a huge difference. It was having 10-14 inch poos to 2-4 inch poos on Pro-Gold. On the other foods though, I see 1/8 to 1/2 inch poos and less of the clear "casing". I am concerned about decreasing more because my less aggressive ones won't get their share competing against the more active feeders.

I like pellets as a staple for the ease of use. Having said that, I can adjust my life to allow other options. Do you think that switching off of pellets all together is a better plan? A different staple and pellets as a treat?

If decreasing the amount you are feeding at one time has made a big difference, it sounds like maybe this might be the issue over the type of food being fed? :idont I don't know what your schedule is like in terms of how often you are available to feed. I typically do 5-6 very small meals a day. Usually 1 in the morning, and 4-5 in the evening every few hours. I have also use an auto feeder in the past to do several very small meals a day. Just an idea ;)

Thanks everyone for your insights. Looks like an optimal plan is a shotgun approach, pick up some of each of the big names and see how the fish react. The fact that all fish react differently to the same stimuli (food in this case) makes it a bit of a guessing game. See the various reactions, try and create a regimen that suits the group the best and adjust as necessary.

I do have to say that I do not like to keep my meal to meal schedule too tight. I like to think that randomly adjusting what food they get at certain times is good for them to keep their systems flexible, but I could be way off base.

I do agree with Jess, that multiple smaller meals can really fix this problem. I an relatively conservative with my meals and have no issues with constipation.

If decreasing the amount you are feeding at one time has made a big difference, it sounds like maybe this might be the issue over the type of food being fed? :idont I don't know what your schedule is like in terms of how often you are available to feed. I typically do 5-6 very small meals a day. Usually 1 in the morning, and 4-5 in the evening every few hours. I have also use an auto feeder in the past to do several very small meals a day. Just an idea ;)

That is actually the way I try to feed my tropical tanks with fry. More, smaller meals.

Unfortunately, without hand feeding each goldie, I just don't think my less aggressive fish would get what they need. And I cannot even conceive of hand feeding my goldfish more than 3 times a day even if I could get them to reliable hand feed.

Part of my issue is the various appetites. The alacrity that Annie (my biggest) and Shadow (my second smallest) go for food just out competes Hoover and Monkey. I really only notice it poo-wise when feeding Pro-Gold.

That is actually the way I try to feed my tropical tanks with fry. More, smaller meals.

Unfortunately, without hand feeding each goldie, I just don't think my less aggressive fish would get what they need. And I cannot even conceive of hand feeding my goldfish more than 3 times a day even if I could get them to reliable hand feed.

Part of my issue is the various appetites. The alacrity that Annie (my biggest) and Shadow (my second smallest) go for food just out competes Hoover and Monkey. I really only notice it poo-wise when feeding Pro-Gold.

yeah, I can see that as an issue. Having only 2 fish it is much easier for me to make sure each gets their fair share than those of you with multiple personalities in the tank :P

Perhaps a smaller pellet size will help slow them down a bit and allow the others to get some :) The saki hikari seems to be the smallest pellet size out there (that I have come across anyway), with NLS being a close second.

Hmmm...yes, this is a problem. Can you try spreading the food across a wider area of the tank? This might enable everyone to get their share?

Edited by jmetzger72

Hmmm...yes, this is a problem. Can you try spreading the food across a wider area of the tank? This might enable everyone to get their share?

That has actually been counter-productive. The more aggressive eaters range around the tank getting food while the less aggressive eaters try to stick to where they first found food. The more aggressive ones butt the others out of the way and get more food from more areas. Seeing a fish ram someone twice their size away from food is actually kind of cool. It shows that size doesn't mean as much as focused intent.

Having said that, I only notice the constipation issues when they get Pro-Gold no matter how I deliver the food. When Monkey and Shadow were new, i had to be really sneaky on where and when I dropped food. Monkey would only eat food that was floating down and Shadow would only eat food that was on the bottom already. They have both adjusted to eat either way.

I am off to bed, I will check up on the thoughts after work in the morning. Hopefully only a 2 hour day tomorrow.

Just keep in mind that pellets have about 4 times the amount of nutrition packed into them, compared to the Repashy gels, so when one feeds, one needs to scale accordingly. :)

That has actually been counter-productive. The more aggressive eaters range around the tank getting food while the less aggressive eaters try to stick to where they first found food. The more aggressive ones butt the others out of the way and get more food from more areas. Seeing a fish ram someone twice their size away from food is actually kind of cool. It shows that size doesn't mean as much as focused intent.

Having said that, I only notice the constipation issues when they get Pro-Gold no matter how I deliver the food. When Monkey and Shadow were new, i had to be really sneaky on where and when I dropped food. Monkey would only eat food that was floating down and Shadow would only eat food that was on the bottom already. They have both adjusted to eat either way.

I am off to bed, I will check up on the thoughts after work in the morning. Hopefully only a 2 hour day tomorrow.

Okay, I also had these floaty issues with Pro-Gold and was bummed. You could also try a partition during feeding to allow the less aggressive fish to get their share?

I only feed mine pellets once a day now and its a mix between Omega One small and Saki Hakari goldfish food (purple bag). The other two to three meals I now give are all veggies and this seems to have worked very well. I know its kinda trial and error as everyones fish are different but they have done well and though you don't have buoyancy issues it seems to have pretty much cleared up that problem as well for the most part.

Edit: I should say I fed progold exclusively for about 9 months before this switch also.

Edited by CindiL

I just recently ordered Hikari Lionhead and received it last Friday. I am loving it. If your fish have wens it's suppose to be great for wen growth. One of my Oranda's was developing a light case of floatiness so I decided to change foods to this kind.

You were talking about NLS. I was feeding the Omega One and NLS. I did notice right away that the NLS is the smallest pellet out of the three, then it's Omega, then the Hikari Lionhead. The Hikari sinks immediately. I can definitely tell this food is heavier. I've always liked the other two pellets also but am sticking with the Hikari for now.

I hope you find a new pellet that you and your fish are happy with. :)

I am going to pick up some NLS, Hikari, and Omega One (pending what the stores have in stock today). They won't be open by the time I get off, but I have to head out to pick a upa screaming deal on small tanks. 5 - 10 gallon tanks and 1 - 5 gallon tank for $10 off craig'slist. Going to finally build my glass tank covers.

edited for stoopid fingers

Edited by Avepico

my guys love the hikari saki (in the purple bag) i also let the nls soak for a min or 2

My LFS only had Omega One and it looks like that is all Petsmart stocks, per their website. I'll see how the kids like the Omega and see what prices run around the net for NLS and Hikari.

I got my tanks from craig'slist. All the tanks, three lights, 3 working air pumps, three covers, and misc extras for $10. What a deal. I see a fish rack in my future for the endler and shrimp breeding as well as a custom light hood for the 75 gallon goldfish tank.

Great deal on your tanks and extras. Your going to have post photo's once you decide what to do with it all.

Hope your fish like the Omega One. :)