Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
shellbell4ever

Horned Nerite snails

18 posts in this topic

So I had been having issues with algae on my anubias I had a few Mystery snail's in my big tank but they didn't seem to be doing anything for the plants and honestly I don't know if it's the new addition of plant additive or the fact that I traded out my Mystery snails for a few horned nerites but my one plant in question looks so much better :)

you can see where the horned nerites have devoured the algae off half of the plant leaves :) I am so happy with these little guys :) and they are so darn cute!!!

031a.jpg

039a.jpg

048a.jpg

040a.jpg

041a.jpg

045a.jpg

thanks for looking :)

And for reference this is the plant before with said algae ;)

plant3.jpg

I have a few horned nerites.........(3)........in my tropical tank and I just love them.. :wub:

not only do they keep things clean in between tank cleanings...but I agree with you~~they are just so darned cute !! :thumbs:

Edited by Sharkbait3

I have considered getting snail for this same purpose; To keep my Anubias clean. However, I have three concerns regarding snails:

1) Reproduction - I don't want a huge population of snails.

2) Disease - I have concerns about snails transmitting diseases. Particularly "internal" Flukes which use snails to complete their life cycle.

3) Escape - I don't want to wake up with a snail on my pillow :rofl

Any advice would be appreciated.

They did a great job shell! I love my nerites. They are such awesome algae eaters!

I have considered getting snail for this same purpose; To keep my Anubias clean. However, I have three concerns regarding snails:

2) Disease - I have concerns about snails transmitting diseases. Particularly "internal" Flukes which use snails to complete their life cycle.

1. nerites cannot reproduce unless specific conditions are met (if I remember correctly they need brackish water to reproduce). I have 5 horned nerites and they have never reproduced.

2. QT your snails before adding them to your tank. I usually do 1-2 weeks in a separate container with daily water changes. The main concern with snails is the water they hold in their shells could contain pathogens. By QTing you flush out any old water with daily water changes etc.

3. I personally have not had a nerite try to escape yet, but I know they are known for doing this and others here have had issues with this. If you are concerned about this a hood/tank cover is an easy fix :)

No no no, I'm pretty sure you took a toothbrush and scrubbed your anubias clean :rofl

Looks great!!

No no no, I'm pretty sure you took a toothbrush and scrubbed your anubias clean :rofl

Looks great!!

The pic for reference was after cleaning with a soft vegetable brush! I thought it maybe had some kind of disease ;)

I swear these little snails are amazing :) I want to pick up a few more i think :)

They did a great job shell! I love my nerites. They are such awesome algae eaters!

1. nerites cannot reproduce unless specific conditions are met (if I remember correctly they need brackish water to reproduce). I have 5 horned nerites and they have never reproduced.

2. QT your snails before adding them to your tank. I usually do 1-2 weeks in a separate container with daily water changes. The main concern with snails is the water they hold in their shells could contain pathogens. By QTing you flush out any old water with daily water changes etc.

3. I personally have not had a nerite try to escape yet, but I know they are known for doing this and others here have had issues with this. If you are concerned about this a hood/tank cover is an easy fix :)

You don't need to worry about nerites reproducing. Like Tithra said, nerites need brackish water - and very specific parameters - to reproduce. I QTed mine for 2 weeks with daily water changes the first week and 4 water changes the next. Everything was fine.

Sam did escape once, but he did not go far. He left the tank during a water change (and only that once) I found him on the back of the tank so he didn't go far.

lots of good info here :)

I love mine thinking of getting more.

Ive never saw the horned ones though they are cool.

I have 2 zebra nerites in my 29gal. They are awesome. No escapes. They do leave hardened white eggs in the corners that I scratch off, but nothing comes of it because they don't get fertilized without brackish water! They are like algae maniacs! :happydance

Thanks, that is very helpful!!!

You don't need to worry about nerites reproducing. Like Tithra said, nerites need brackish water - and very specific parameters - to reproduce. I QTed mine for 2 weeks with daily water changes the first week and 4 water changes the next. Everything was fine.

Sam did escape once, but he did not go far. He left the tank during a water change (and only that once) I found him on the back of the tank so he didn't go far.

So, I wouldn't need to salt them or Prazi them for Flukes in Quarantine?

Nope, just daily WCs. I don't *think* you can use salt with nerites and i wouldnt recommend using Prazi either as some members nerites have died when using Prazi in the tank. If I have to treat my main tank with salt and/ or Prazi, the nerites take a tropical vacation in the betta tank. :rofl

Last time I did a Prazi treatment in the main tank I forgot about my nerites for about 3 hours :yikes. I got them out as soon as I remembered and they were all fine but to be safe I'd remove them. :)

Nope, just daily WCs. I don't *think* you can use salt with nerites and i wouldnt recommend using Prazi either as some members nerites have died when using Prazi in the tank. If I have to treat my main tank with salt and/ or Prazi, the nerites take a tropical vacation in the betta tank. :rofl

Last time I did a Prazi treatment in the main tank I forgot about my nerites for about 3 hours :yikes. I got them out as soon as I remembered and they were all fine but to be safe I'd remove them. :)

Great, when Waddles moves to Michigan, maybe I'll use his tank to quarantine some snails. My poor Anubias plants need some algae removal.

:rofl Oh sure, now I feel even more guilty. :rofl

So, I wouldn't need to salt them or Prazi them for Flukes in Quarantine?

Salt and snails... Not a good mix :lol2

Prazi can hurt/kill nerites. Don't do it! I have six nerites, and one of them fell off the top of the tank and dried up on the floor the next morning. :( They normally stay inside and sleep in shady areas during the day.

My nerited have slowly but surely died off. I started with 6 and am down to 1. Thid is in my planted tropical tank.

Edited by ashlee18