Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Liam Morley

Is This ok for Goldfish

Hey guys I found some pretty cool gravel and I just wanted to know If you guys think it would be ok to have in a goldfish tank :D I love this gravel :heart :heart :heart

A3BE4698-7876-4AB6-BB27-FA90558CA4A2-486

And if not that gravel could this one work?

BB034167-84CF-489D-9F33-177632E1229D-486

Here the links to the websites for them.

http://www.livefish.com.au/plants/gravel-and-sand/amethyst-500g-box.html

http://www.livefish.com.au/plants/gravel-and-sand/quartz-gravel-diamond-black-1kg.html

The top one is black quartz (yes REAL quartz)

And they other one Is amethyst gravel. CRYSTAL GRAVEL!!! How awesome

Did I do something wrong, do you guys need any more info (all the Info you should need will be in the links) :D

All I want to know is will either of these gravels be ok for a goldfish tank?

Substrate (gravel, sand etc) is a very personal thing. You need to go with what you like.

However, please remember that, depending on the size of the gravel, you can end up facing pieces getting stuck in a goldfish's mouth.

Also, awesome choice. Love the thought of using crystal in a tank.

Hi Liam,

You didn't do anything wrong lol. I think both are great. Just make sure there are no sharp edges on the quartz gravel. I couldn't tell from the pics. :)

After having gravel get stuck in a fish's mouth, I wouldn't risk it again, but that's a personal choice. I think both substrates are beautiful, and as long as they aren't sharp, I think they'd be just fine.

And you didn't do anything wrong. :hug I think some very lucky people are just in bed (not me)! :lol

After having gravel get stuck in a fish's mouth, I wouldn't risk it again, but that's a personal choice. I think both substrates are beautiful, and as long as they aren't sharp, I think they'd be just fine.

And you didn't do anything wrong. :hug I think some very lucky people are just in bed (not me)! :lol

What do you think? Do you think that there's any chance one of goldfish might swallow one of them? If you do then I'm just gonna get Tahitian moon sand, it's a lot cheaper as well.

Wow I didn't realise it was like 3 in the morning over there.

What do you think? Do you think that there's any chance one of goldfish might swallow one of them? If you do then I'm just gonna get Tahitian moon sand, it's a lot cheaper as well.

Wow I didn't realise it was like 3 in the morning over there.

Without seeing it, I'd have no idea. Most gravel types (even the really big ones) will be a choking hazard at some point in a fish's life cycle. If you like it, try it. The nice thing about substrate is that it's not forever. You can always take it out, and try something else.

Both choices are beautiful. :)

Yes please please make sure that the quarts is sanded or tumbeled in 1 way....... lets just say pea gravel, and goldfish poop do not mix.... trust me.... I know.

I would be a little wary of the second one, the pieces are not uniform and could potential choking hazard depending on how big they are compared to the mouth of your fish.

I really like the look of Tahitian moon sand, it's a little sparkly similar to the first one. If its cheaper I'd just go with that ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooo that would be absolutely beautiful but I have to go with everyone else that if they are too small or sharp, they could pose a hazard.

Here's one idea, which I'm thinking of doing myself now :D Go with the Tahitian moon sand -or barebottom- and buy some nice large crystals (flourite would be perfect!) to use as accents. Make sure they are SMOOTH and quite large. I'm excited! :happydance

I would be a little wary of the second one, the pieces are not uniform and could potential choking hazard depending on how big they are compared to the mouth of your fish.I really like the look of Tahitian moon sand, it's a little sparkly similar to the first one. If its cheaper I'd just go with that ;) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks heaps everyone! Yeah I'm gonna have to go with the Tahitian moon sand like you said tithra. It's cheaper, I can buy it from an actual shop where I can check it out before I buy it, and I can actually choose out the bags I want haha.

The place that sells the crystal gravel is only online and I really want to be able to check out the substrates in person before I buy them, so yeah Tahitian moon sand it is :D

Ooo that would be absolutely beautiful but I have to go with everyone else that if they are too small or sharp, they could pose a hazard.Here's one idea, which I'm thinking of doing myself now :D Go with the Tahitian moon sand -or barebottom- and buy some nice large crystals (flourite would be perfect!) to use as accents. Make sure they are SMOOTH and quite large. I'm excited! :happydance

Tahitian moon sand and some large crystals it is :happydance I'm thinking a clear quartz sphere and an amethyst sphere :P I love crystals :heart

It will look amazing!!! The colors will set off so beautifully against the moon sand.

I want to dig out all of my pieces and see what could go in. You may be starting a trend :teehee

I think the sand is the better choice and if your into crystals you can always get a few good size pieces for a little decor :)