Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Georgia

stunted goldfish + missing fins

Hi everyone! :) I finally got to move my 2 common goldfish from their cramped 5-gallon tank to a spacious 29 gallon. Unfortunately, they have become stunted. And on top of that, They have some missing fins as a result from being bullied by a third fish in the 5 gallon ( this fish has since died ). My smaller fish, Orange, has his entire dorsal fin missing, an anal fin, and one pelvic fin about halfway missing, and also some missing scales. My other fish, Olive, has half of his dorsal fin gone ( as if someone cut it in half vertically ), and some of one pelvic fin gone. They are both around three inches. My question is how can I kickstart their growth again? What can I feed them? I heard bloodworms can do wonders for growth. Is there any food I can feed to help their fins grow back? Pellets are not going to work, because their mouths are relatively small and I'm afraid they'll choke, but if they come in the size of a betta pellet I may consider it. c:

Hello :). In glad you were able to upgrade. And three inches seems like a very adequate size to feed pellets. I would recommend 1mm NLS, small Omega 1 pellets, and tetra color sinking granuals. As for the fin loss, pristine water should take care of that :).

Here is a mixture of the tetra color pellets and omega 1. (Omega is light brown) (tetra darker)

null_zpsa63fbdfa.jpgnull_zpsd68cb924.jpg

You could try Hikari baby pellets. However, I'm sure they could handle pellets such as above, pro-gold, NLS etc. :)

Edited by Chai

The regular sized Pro-Gold pellets are pretty small. I'd imagine a smaller fish than yours would do well on that too.

Just be sure not to buy the larger sized pellet. There's a huge difference in size.

Okay, I'll try feeding them some Top-Fin pellets I had sitting in the cabinet to help them get used to it. It has 40% protein, so I guess it's not that bad. I know my local Petsmart has Omega One so maybe I'll get some there. Maybe I could get some Pro-Gold, how much does Goldfish Connection charge for shipping?

I'm sorry, please excuse my stupidity, but it seems I measured my fish wrong. My larger one is around 2 inches head to tail tip and my smaller one around 1 1\2 inches head to tail tip. I forgot how long an inch was... :doh11: I hope this doesn't make a difference?

I personally would suggest a combination of progold and frozen bloodworms if you are looking for growth. The regular progold is small enough for fish of that size, in my experience. If it proves to be too large you could always lightly crush it. The cubes of bloodworms used for feeding betta fish contain smaller worms, too.

Make sure whatever pellet you feed is a sinking pellet, as you don't want to encourage surface eating, in prevention of swim bladder issues later on.

(shipping for GC is based on how far it needs to be shipped from their location, I believe.)

Edited by ChelseaM

I personally would suggest a combination of progold and frozen bloodworms if you are looking for growth. The regular progold is small enough for fish of that size, in my experience. If it proves to be too large you could always lightly crush it. The cubes of bloodworms used for feeding betta fish contain smaller worms, too.

Make sure whatever pellet you feed is a sinking pellet, as you don't want to encourage surface eating, in prevention of swim bladder issues later on.

(shipping for GC is based on how far it needs to be shipped from their location, I believe.)

Okay, thanks. I always soak everything before feeding after I lost a common goldfish to SBD, which is quite rare. I live in the US (Pennsylvania), so I guess shipping won't exceed $5. Do you think the fins will grow back too with the bloodworms and Pro-Gold?

Okay, thanks. I always soak everything before feeding after I lost a common goldfish to SBD, which is quite rare. I live in the US (Pennsylvania), so I guess shipping won't exceed $5. Do you think the fins will grow back too with the bloodworms and Pro-Gold?

Only time and good husbandry will tell. I'll be rooting for them. :)