Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Christina Marie

HELP identify this fish!

To start please forgive if I am not doing this correctly, new to all this, not familiar with forums and such.

I have an small outdoor pond 250 gal. freshwater with various sizes of goldfish fancy and common. Have acquired a long slender black fish with brown stripes. He looks like a tiger not a tigerfish. He has an upturned thick mouth unlike the goldfishes. He is lovely, he stays hidden on the bottom in his rock and he aggressively defends his cubby hole. But I have never seen him harm the smaller fish. I have never seen him come out to eat and this worrys me. The last couple of days he has come out during the feeding times and just stays still looking at me and not going for food at all. He looks at me like he is trying to talk to me.

The pet store gave him up for adoption because he was donated and too big for their small fish tanks. The fish was with the smaller goldfish.

I am trying to get a photo of it uploaded but not yet.

I have searched the internet unending and can't seem to find a picture of this fish to identify it and find out if he has special needs. Any advice, anyone!! I don't want to lose him.

Worried,

Christina

I think a pic will be very helpful! :)

I love fish pics!!! :greenbanana:

Thanks everyone for the replys. Still trying get a pic to post. Saw the lovely today so he is still with me. A bit bummed because for two days straight I have lost a fish. And today my black moor is acting as if he is looking for air. Don't know what is wrong but I need to get the water tested. We have had high temps perhaps he can't take it.

Thanks for the pic King Poseidon. That is not him. My El Tigre is much prettier and the face is not so pointy and flat. The lips are like a fat frown, like his mouth is designed to pick stuff off the top of the water. He has soft brown stripes, black fins, top of his head is sort of flat and brown and the solid black spot on the top looks like a bad toupe has been colored in. I don't think he likes me because he stays hidden yet when my sister goes out there to watch the fish he comes and swims about. The couple of times he has come out for me he just stays still in one spot and looks straight at me. I'm the one who cleans the pound maybe he doesn't like the vacuum.

Since I cannot seem to get a camera for a pic could you recommend a sight online that I can look find his breed. I guess I'm not doing such a good job of describing him.

Zebra danio?

Posted Image

Thanks dnalex!! I love the pic. But nope it is not him. The shape of the mouth is right only has a bigger mouth. The stripes are going the wrong way, they are up and down. The stripes are solid soft brown and thicker. The eyes are solid black and a bit smaller. He is longer and has a more slender sleek body. The fins and tail are solid black. When he is looking straight at you the top of his head is sort of flat. I'll get my sister to get a pic on her phone. I tell you this fish just can't be uncommon. He is exceptionally pretty to me however he was donated to the pet store pictures of him have got to be out there somewhere. Please if you know of an online sight I can search let me know. There has got to be a comprehensive sight that you can search by their features. He is not a goldfish nor a catfish, shark..

funkyblackfish_zps8fa6eb9f.png

The only fish that comes to mind for me is a yellow perch, so I'm not much help at all lol