Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jenzaar

Tannin-y driftwood in tank for short periods

I'm going on about three weeks with boiling my driftwood.

After I got it, I boiled it for a couple of days and swore it was finished. It went into the 10 gallon that was housing our pleco, and when I moved everything into the big tank I gave it another boil, just to clean it. Then I discovered lots of yellow water :yikes

Ever since, it's been in a pot, boiling for 3-6 hours each day and sitting in hot water that I change as often as I can.

I feel really bad for the pleco! He seems happy enough in there and does have a hiding spot when he isn't exploring, but I think he'd be happier with brief visits from his driftwood.

Would it be okay to put it into the main tank twice a week, for an hour or two before water changes?

Your pleco wont mind the tannis but the yellowish water can be off putting to us.. some people like it.. just run abit of carbon in the filter to remove it

But the goldfish would mind the ph drop if that were to happen :(

Sorry I should have added that they are sharing a tank.

It doesn't really leech when it's not being boiled for a while, but it doesn't seem right to put it in permanently until I know they're out for good.

How much does the pH drop by?

I'm not sure how much it can drop, but I've read a lot on here about that happening when driftwood is not fully cured. I've messed up enough with keeping goldfish that the smallest risk makes me go :krazy:

I thought that it was the kH or lack of which makes the pH drop.. So adding crushed coral to the filter as well as carbon should reduce the pH swing and remove tannis..?? thats what Im hoping for in the new tank

Yes a low kh can allow the ph to drop too.

I suppose maybe extra crushed coral and carbon could make a difference? But I have no idea, I honestly hadn't thought of or considered that.