Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
joel08

Local Water contains Nitrates and Nitrite

I have just become a aware that my local tap water contains Nitrates in the range of 12-20 ppm and Nitrites as high as 0.1 ppm.

There is nothing I can do to eliminate these nitrites and nitrates. Seachem Prime is not really available in my local area. I do use a dechlorinator though.

What is your advice about water quality, even if I do water changes there will still be some nitrates/nitrites?

Your bio-filter will adapt, and be able to get rid of that amount of nitrite within hours of adding it from tap. You will however need to invest in a water conditioner that detoxifies nitrites, to protect the fish while the bio-filter gets to work during those hours after every water change.

The nitrates can be dealt with several ways. You can get a nitrate filter. There are several UK members who do this, since there is a very nice nitrate filter available in the UK. I am sure one or more of them will comment. You can also add plants or bog filters to take care of nitrates.

All in all, having these nitrogen products in the tap is an annoyance, but it isn't really a huge problem.

I have lots of houseplants hanging out of my tank top to help with nitrates. Any aquatic plant that I try, just becomes a salad. :rofl You can do lucky bamboo, peace lilies, pothos, croton, pennywort...There's so many plants to choose from, and they do a pretty decent job. I pick up heavy duty suction cups, and bath caddies from walmart, and let the roots sit in those. I really like it. :) :)

When does the bio-filter actually start working? I know that the bacteria need to colonize which takes a few weeks to establish, I only have 2 internal sponges. I have heard from somewhere that quick start bacteria solutions are hopeless and not worth adding at all, I think this was in member Tithra's youtube video.

I get rid of my nitrates with bamboo in the back of my filter :). It thrives! It's amazing how quick it grows!

I agree that most quick start products are likely junk.

The establishment of the bio-filter can take a few weeks, to a couple of months or more. You may want to get what is traditionally considered bio-media, or something that contains a lot of surface area.

Prime is everyone's best friend, but most especially when they are cycling.

When does the bio-filter actually start working? I know that the bacteria need to colonize which takes a few weeks to establish, I only have 2 internal sponges. I have heard from somewhere that quick start bacteria solutions are hopeless and not worth adding at all, I think this was in member Tithra's youtube video.

Yes this is correct :). Quick start and all that, it does nothing on my opinion. The best thing you can do while your cycling is test your water daily to make sure nothing spikes and to make sure it is becoming more stable bad for the BB, I use a ton of biological noodles, or bio balls, you can also use a bio sponge that you can purchase from an LFS or something :). And like Alex said, as long as your cycle is established it should take care if the nitrites fairly quickly.

I was sniped :rofl

Your bio-filter will adapt, and be able to get rid of that amount of nitrite within hours of adding it from tap. You will however need to invest in a water conditioner that detoxifies nitrites, to protect the fish while the bio-filter gets to work during those hours after every water change.

The nitrates can be dealt with several ways. You can get a nitrate filter. There are several UK members who do this, since there is a very nice nitrate filter available in the UK. I am sure one or more of them will comment. You can also add plants or bog filters to take care of nitrates.

All in all, having these nitrogen products in the tap is an annoyance, but it isn't really a huge problem.

Sadly this Nitrate filter sold by Shirley Aquatics (Aquaworld one) has been discontinued..

Oh, that's too bad. I wonder why. It seemed to have been working really well for you guys.

Agreed I was hoping to get a second one :doh11:

I have just become a aware that my local tap water contains Nitrates in the range of 12-20 ppm and Nitrites as high as 0.1 ppm.

There is nothing I can do to eliminate these nitrites and nitrates. Seachem Prime is not really available in my local area. I do use a dechlorinator though.

What is your advice about water quality, even if I do water changes there will still be some nitrates/nitrites?

Online?? http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/seachem-prime-concentrated-conditioner-250ml-p-103.html