Sign in to follow this  
mygoldfishmylife

Chicken has dirty vent?

11 posts in this topic

She hasnt laid an egg in a veryyyy long time, hasn't moulted yet, and acts weird. She doesn't eat leaves from my hand like the other chicken does. She always seems to follow me around. I saw her sitting in the nesting box this morning then i checked again, and still no egg! She is living in the same conditions as the other chicken, but it's only her thats weird. I cant afford a vet so please dont ask me to go see a vet.
Now back to the vent, its really dirty. Poo it stuck on the feathers and even if she bathed in sand like she usually does, that doesnt help. How do I clean it without getting sick?
And is she sick? :(
Thank you all lovely people in advance :)

Well I had 40 chickens at one time so can say sometimes that just happens with getting the poo all over back there. But I still need to ask. Is it runny? or just normal poo?

As for the eggs how old is she and what breed? if you know.

She could be eggbound. It would be a good idea to take her to a veterinarian to get treatment. Eggbinding is very serious and most at-home remedies don't often work for hens who have been eggbound for a length of time. Feel around her vent and see if it feels hard or you can feel the egg.

Edited by ChelseaM

She could be eggbound. It would be a good idea to take her to a veterinarian to get treatment. Eggbinding is very serious and most at-home remedies don't often work for hens who have been eggbound for a length of time. Feel around her vent and see if it feels hard or you can feel the egg.

Yep this can happen.

I never had to deal with it myself but I know of it happening.

I wanted to run through some of the more basic stuff first though to get a better idea of what is going on.

parasites can make a chicken stop laying eggs as well as age if she is really old, or sometimes in young chickens they will go through a dry phase for a while.

Just wanted to get more info first and not scare anyone straight off lol.

Yep this can happen.

I never had to deal with it myself but I know of it happening.

I wanted to run through some of the more basic stuff first though to get a better idea of what is going on.

parasites can make a chicken stop laying eggs as well as age if she is really old, or sometimes in young chickens they will go through a dry phase for a while.

Just wanted to get more info first and not scare anyone straight off lol.

I understand completely. But after having a beloved bird die from egg binding it often makes me jump right to making sure that's not a factor first, especially because nothing seems to be wrong with the rest of the flock.

I apologize if I scared you. It is just something that you might want to check first.

The first thing I thought of, also, was eggbinding - and that's something you'd need to have a vet check out and treat. I know a lot about parrots, but less about chickens and farm birds. Parrots and small tropical/songbirds are generally very sick by the time they start showing signs of illness, so I'd keep an eye on her. Is the stool runny? If you're in a warm environment, you're going to want to keep the area cleaned up otherwise you could have maggots. I work at a vet (as a tech) for reference!

Well I had 40 chickens at one time so can say sometimes that just happens with getting the poo all over back there. But I still need to ask. Is it runny? or just normal poo?

As for the eggs how old is she and what breed? if you know.

Normal poo. She turned 2 two days ago. Rhode Island Red

Feel inside the vent...?

Feel inside the vent...?

Feel around it, not inside. You will be able to feel a hard lump if the egg is present.

So guys, she finally laid an egg today :D (unless one chicken can lay 2 eggs in a day :P). then it doesnt mean she's eggbound, right??

But the vent is dirty. The feathers have poo stuck to them.