Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mernany

Food Schedule

Hello everyone!! :D I'm trying to get a good routine down for feeding my goldfish friends and wanted some suggestions/advice on my current feeding schedule :)

I currently have repashy super green and solient green, Pro-gold pellets, various veggies (they like broccoli, spinach, other lettuce, kale, green beans, and peas), blood worms, brine shrimp, and a homemade (hm) gel food made from Jess's recipe (altered slightly):

1 fillet of salmon or tilapia (cooked)
1 jar of baby food - peas
3 tbsp canned pumpkin (no other additives)
1/2 red pepper (chopped)
2-3 leaves of kale (large middle stem removed)
1 tablet acidophilus
1 multivitamin tablet (crushed)
1/2-1 tsp garlic
1 cup spring water
2 packets of gelatin

So here is the norm:

Monday: morning - hm gel food

evening - repashy super green

Tuesday: morning - blood worms

Wednesday: morning - various veggies

evening - repashy solient green

Thursday: morning - repashy solient green

evening - hm gel food

Friday: morning - various veggies

evening - various veggies

Saturday: morning - blood worms (sometimes switched for brine shrimp)

Sunday: morning - hm gel food

As for Pro-Gold I will add this on days that I don't work all day, so if I have a day off or work only a half day. The morning and evening meals are portioned smaller of course and a small meal of Pro-Gold is added in the middle of the day.

I'm thinking about making my next batch of repashy a mix of 1 part solient green and 2 parts super green. In this case, in the schedule when a repashy product is fed it would be the mixed instead of a specific one.

What do you guys think? Suggestions welcome!

Seems great to me! Very spoilt fish! :P

If you wanted, you could always combine the blood worms and pro gold into your home made gel food? If I'm feeding home made gel food, that's literally the only good they will get until it's done, since they're getting the veggies, protein from worms, and macromolecules they need from the commercial food anyway :)

Seems great to me! Very spoilt fish! :P

If you wanted, you could always combine the blood worms and pro gold into your home made gel food? If I'm feeding home made gel food, that's literally the only good they will get until it's done, since they're getting the veggies, protein from worms, and macromolecules they need from the commercial food anyway :)

Hmmm that's actually a good idea on adding those to the gel food! I've got two young orandas and idnlike some good wen growth maybe the slight extra blood worms in the gel food will also help :P

Certainly might! I find smaller yet more frequent feedings is a lot better for growth. I've got some great wen growth and body growth feeding 4 times a day rather than morning and night :)

I try and do as many small feedings as I can but with work and such it gets hard :(

Some people use automatic feeders that have a timer so that they can feed their fish when they aren't there.

Do you plan on weighing your fish so you can feed them based on their weight?

I actually have been thinking about the automatic feeder but I worry about one getting too much or too little. Especially if little Cupid gets too many Pro-Gold he gets a little floaty (that's why it's not feed as a staple :) )

Everyone is weighed monthly and the food is all weighed out for everyone :) I found that with my first two I overfed. Overfeeding+overstocked+uncycled tank= :yikes I've learned a lot since then :P

Edited by Mernany