Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Embrace

Can I save my Gel Food?

Hi all,

Some of you may have seen my previous topic about my first time making gel food. I tried my first batch on Friday, buy it didn't have enough gelatine (only put in 1 sachet). I tried again yesterday and added 2 sachets hoping this would help. I have just tried to get the gel food out of the fridge and its a bit better but it's still really 'mushy'. I can hardly cut it without it going into a mush. It breaks up really easily in the tank as well.

Can I save this batch? Is there a way of melting the gel back down and adding another sachet of gelatine to it? Will this impact the food?

Thanks in advance

Elise x

You can try to reheat it and then melt more gelatin in, if you like, but it might be easier and less messy to start over. :)

I wonder if you could heat it gently in a bain-marie? (How you melt chocolate over simmering water.)

I wonder if you could heat it gently in a bain-marie? (How you melt chocolate over simmering water.)

Yes that would probably be the safest way, to stop it burning! I will probably give it a try as I'm out of vegetables at be moment so can't remake it :(

Should I Just pour the gelatine onto the melted gel? Or do I need to dissolve in water first?

Thanks for your help :)

I would dissolve it in a little bit of water first. In my experience gelatine doesn't always set properly if not dissolved beforehand. This assumption, however, comes from making marshmallows, not gel food. :rofl

Haha well I'll take any advice a get!

Shall I put in another 1 sachet or 2?? Sooooo many questions lol!

That will depend on how much liquid a pack of gelatine sets, and how firm you need it to be.

That will depend on how much liquid a pack of gelatine sets, and how firm you need it to be.

One packet sets 1 pint of liquid. There is already 2 packs in there and it's a bit too mushy for my liking (uncuttable at the moment!!) so I want it quite solid.

Thanks for helping me :)

I would try 1 1/2 packets if by "uncuttable" you mean viscous. If, however, it doesn't seem too far off from setting, 1 packet might do the trick. I'd say it's better to add a little more than a little less. :)

Sorry I can't be of more help. After awhile you'll get a feel of how much gelatine you need.

I would try 1 1/2 packets if by "uncuttable" you mean viscous. If, however, it doesn't seem too far off from setting, 1 packet might do the trick. I'd say it's better to add a little more than a little less. :)

Sorry I can't be of more help. After awhile you'll get a feel of how much gelatine you need.

Thanks you have been a great help! Will give it a try later on :)

Will probably add 1.5 sachets and dissolve it in a bit of water. It recommends dissolving in 150mls per sachet so shall I do 150mls for 1.5 sachets or use less liquid?

150mls should suffice; it's not a particular large quantity of water anyway.

Just remade the mix! But I forgot to add the dechlorinator to the 150mls water :(. Have I ruined it??

The gel is the perfect consistency now :). Only problem is, I'm not sure if I can use it as I forgot the dechlorinator :(

The gel is the perfect consistency now :). Only problem is, I'm not sure if I can use it as I forgot the dechlorinator :(

The boiling should have driven off the chlorine, although people usually boil the water for about 20-30 minutes.

In any case, the amount should be so miniscule by now that it should not pose any sort of problems. :)

The boiling should have driven off the chlorine, although people usually boil the water for about 20-30 minutes.

In any case, the amount should be so miniscule by now that it should not pose any sort of problems. :)

Thank you :). Fish loved it, went down a treat!!!

Yay! :nana Glad you rescued it and your fish loved it! Yummy. :P

Yah! Glad you got everything fixed, Elise. :)

Yah! Glad you got everything fixed, Elise. :)

Thanks so much for your help :) really appreciate it!

May have to remelt some of the batch though :P. put them in ice cube trays to set and they are quite deep, some of the gelatin has risen to the top leaving the rest a bit mushy!

Got enough to keep me going for about 3 months now though!!