Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tarannosaurus

Two sick fish

Thank you for the pictures and the video, they are very clear and do indicate the sites you are worried about. :)

I have been trying to go through the thread organizing the information but I cannot seem to (bear with me, I have a bad migraine). I was hoping you could do me a favor and outline what this fish has gone through.

Where has this fish been? (main tank or QT)

What meds have been done? (did they receive the prazi rounds one may 28th and june 4th? What is your prazi routine now?)

How many days are they into the medication?

Was this the fish with dropsy concerns? Are the scales raised at all now?

What is the current test levels in the tank this fish is in right now?

Again, I apologize for not being able to sort this out on my own. I want to help your fish but I also want to know where to start. I have been discussing it with the mods and I hope that this information you would provide will be able to fill in some gaps.

This fish has been in the main tank. He has been getting MM and prazi. I am at the beginning of round four since two days ago. He has been getting MM for five days now. This is not the fish with popped eyes and raised scales. (That fish is still in QT but is doing much better. She has also been on MM for five days.) His scales are not raised. I don't think it's dropsy. Ammonia is testing for .25, nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 25.

Ok, lets start with lowering the nitrates. Can you do a 50% water change so that those nitrates can stay below 20? Some fish when they are sick are sensitive to nitrates and will start getting red fins from it.

Okay I can do a water change tomorrow. What's going on with his wen? The first bump almost looks like normal wen tissue now but I didn't think this is how new growth comes in. I'm so worried about him.

Can I put the other one back in the main tank?

Lets not put the other one in the main tank until we sort out how to treat the wen thing. I will discuss it with the mods and hopefully we will have come up with an answer by tomorrow.

For the most part, we try to the leave wens be and hope the clean water and a good diet help the fish to deal with it on their own. When we do have to treat wen issues the close ups and the videos need to be looked at carefully to decide how to do it.

I'm just going to err on the side of caution and wait for a full discussion before starting anything. In the interim I do know that water changes will help (I know the diet right now is MM's keep on that)

Okay. I also want to point out the red spot on his tail fin. You can see it in the video. It's where the fins split.

Okay I just did a large water change. The new water parameters are ammonia 0.25, nitrite 0 and nitrate 10.

The large oranda is bottom-sitting a lot now. And the smaller one is still in that bucket. She's still eating but doesn't have a great appetite. Her fins are black on the edges where they were bloody before. She doesn't look bloated and she doesn't have bulging eyes.

Hi there, Una filled us in on your situation.

Could you clarify a couple things for me please?

1. What day of MM's are the two fish on now?

2. The large oranda with the wen ulcers, how are these looking today? Have they gone down on their own at all? gotten larger?

3. What are the current water parameters for the bucket? (I read through your thread but must have missed this, how large is the bucket? is it filtered?)

4. Do you happen to have medigold on hand? (this is also bought through goldfish connection, it tends to be more effective than MMs when treating wen issues)

5. Are you currently treating with prazi? if so what round are you on?

Hello,

They have both been on Metro-Meds for one week now. The ulcers look about the same as they did in the last video I posted. He still has red streaks in his fins. The water in the bucket is not cycled. (Ammonia tests at 0.25 because the tap has ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are 0.) I have been doing daily water changes with the bucket and adding Prime. There is an air stone in there too. I don't have Medi-Gold, but I can get some if that would help. I am at the end of round four with the Prazi Pro for the main tank. There is no more epsom salt in the main tank.

Just to clarify, neither of the bulges on his wen are bloody or have burst. They look red deep inside but that's it. And the first one isn't even red anymore.

Thank you for the info :)

Please do order some medi gold if you are able. Keep feeding the MMs until the medigold comes.

I would like to switch the larger oranda over to medigold to treat the wen ulcers. The smaller one will stay on the MMs.

Okay I just ordered the Medi-Gold. What do you think is going on with his wen? And the red streaks?

Okay I just ordered the Medi-Gold. What do you think is going on with his wen? And the red streaks?

Wenned fish can get infections inside the wen tissue. We typically try to take a wait and see approach with these because often the immune system can handle them. However, given that this fish has been on meds and the spots haven't cleared, new ones are popping up and he is bottom sitting more a more aggressive approach may be necessary. Medigold is a bit harsher than the MMs but it is the best at getting to those fatty wen tissues.

The red streaks I am not too worried about at this time. These are a pretty typical sign if stress and it is not atypical for a sick fish to be stressed.

Please let us know when you get the meds and if there are any changes before that :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should be getting the Medi-Gold soon. Can someone tell me how much to give him when I get it?

Can you remind of his weight? Or if you don't know that his length from nose to peduncle? :idont

He's about five inches from nose to peduncle. Maybe a bit smaller. He was getting 40 pellets of Metro-Meds.

He's about five inches from nose to peduncle. Maybe a bit smaller. He was getting 40 pellets of Metro-Meds.

Have you taken out a ruler and measured him before?

If you haven't would you be willing to do so? The easiest way is to just hold a ruler against the front of the glass, grab him and hold him up to the ruler and measure from head to the base of the tail (minus tail). I just want to be really sure that we are feeding the correct amount because medigold is a harsher medicine and one we don't want to overdose if possible.

He is exactly 4.75 inches long from nose to peduncle.

How much Medi-Gold should I feed him?

go ahead and stick with the 40 pellets spread out between multiple meals (and of course no more MMs)

Are you starting today? Please check back in after 7 days since we typically do a shorter course for the MG

I assumed the tap here was the same as my old place. That was so wrong of me. I'm sorry I posted the wrong parameters. My tap parameters are:

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 40-60 ppm

The nitrate in the tap is shocking. I posted a thread in water problems but I wanted to let everyone know here that I planted a pothos in my AquaClear filter to help lower the nitrates. I am afraid to do large water changes now. Any suggestions?

Fish update: The oranda that had dropsy is doing much better. She is in the main tank now. She still has frayed fins, but I think the nitrates are to blame for that. The other oranda, with the bulges in the wen, is also doing much better. He is being fed Medi-Gold. The bulges looks like they turned to wen tissue. I don't see any more growing and he's not bottom-sitting as much, but I'm keeping him on the Medi-Gold.

Edited by tarannosaurus

Hey everyone I want to give an update.

All the fish are in the main tank now. The oranda with the wen bulges has new spots on his cheeks. He already finished a week of Metro-Meds and a week of Medi-Gold. (As of a week or so ago.) He still has red streaks in his fins and he still bottom-sits.

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u613/tarannosaurus/For%20Koko/20130708_121551_zps9191dfed.jpg

The orange and white oranda's fins are looking really bad. But there are no signs of dropsy anymore.

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u613/tarannosaurus/For%20Koko/20130708_121721_zps0d81704a.jpg

I finished with the prazi too. (As of a few days ago.) Everyone has a great appetite.

I think we need to do something about the fins. Can you find some acriflavine? I'd like to dip their fins (only) into an acriflavine solution.

I'm not really familiar with that. Where do I get it and how do I use it?