• * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.0
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.0
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
      • * Water temperature? 72 F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallons, one and a half years
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval 305 (canister filter)
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? At least once every two weeks, 50%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 3 days ago, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fish, 5-9 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Pro-Gold, daily
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Prazi Pro with last water change
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I treated the tank with Prazi Pro with the last water change and also used salt to treat bloody fins on my two orandas
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? One of my orandas has frayed bloody tail fins and the other's tail fins look almost bloodshot
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • One of the orandas has been seen at the bottom more often than usual

I have two orandas that have different problems.

The smaller orange oranda has frayed, bloody fins and her eyes started bulging today. I treated the tank with Prazi Pro and salt three days ago to help with the fins.

The large gray oranda has a bloodshot tail fin and a red bulge in his wen. I did my best to get pictures but they are so hard to photograph.

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u613/tarannosaurus/20130606_192602_zps9d2d44ae.jpg

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u613/tarannosaurus/20130606_192236_zpscff1146d.jpg

:hi A couple thoughts/questions/suggestions . . .

With a Fluval 305 on a 55 gallon tank you are underfiltered. The Fluval 305 filters 260 gallons per hour and with a 55 gallon tank you'll want to shoot for 550 gph. A second filter would be great.

Your nitrates are 30. Is that after your 50% WC 3 days ago? With 3 fairly large fish in a 55 gallon, you should do weekly 50% WCs (at least) and try to keep your nitrates under 20. Bloody/frayed fins may be the result of high nitrates.

How much salt did you use and is it still in the tank? (I think you added salt and Prazi after your WC 3 days ago but just making sure . . )

If you could put the fish in a separate container and get pics, that might help. It's usually easier to get pics of eyes, fins, etc when they can't swim around a whole 55 gallons. :D

Could you tell me more about your prazi schedule? How many rounds of prazi did you do?

I will also agree that when fish are being treated for flukes they can get secondary infections if they are heavily infested. Please keep up with large water changes as clean water is normally what they need to heal themselves :)

So a second filter and more water changes are recommended?

My first round of prazi was about a week prior to the one I did a few days ago. I have done two rounds in total. I added 11 tablespoons of salt after the past two water changes.

I am looking at getting another filter now. Is 550 gph the minimum? Would it be okay if the total gph were higher? I'm looking at adding either a Fluval 405 or FX5.

I am looking at getting another filter now. Is 550 gph the minimum? Would it be okay if the total gph were higher? I'm looking at adding either a Fluval 405 or FX5.

Yep 550 is the minimum. I think either of those filters would work. You want to make sure they aren't too strong for your fish . . . as long as you can adjust the current you should be good. :D

Hagen also makes Aqua Clear HOB filters which are very nice and less costly than canister filters. The AC 110 does 500 gph and runs under $70 on amazon. :D

Yeah, I see that a lot of users on here use those. I'll go ahead and get one. Is there anything else I should do?

As far as your tank is concerned, I would increase your water changes like I mentioned earlier. Minimum 50% weekly, more often while the fins are healing.

Keep us posted on how your fish are doing. You mentioned one fish looked like its eye was bulging and hte other one had a red spot on its wen. How are those doing? Any changes? A close up pic of both of those would be helpful.

I would continue with Prazi for a total of 4-6 rounds.

How are the fish's appetites? :idont

Their conditions haven't changed. I will post a better picture as soon as I can.

All of the fish are eating just fine. I give them Pro-Gold every morning. They had baby spinach yesterday. They love that stuff. :)

Sounds good. :D

Can you give a a tank shot tell us what is in this tank?

Just sand substrate and an air stone. No plants or decorations.

do you gravel syphon? only reason is the sand looks a little deep :(

Yes I siphon. And when I filled the tank I made sure to press the sand so there were no air pockets.

I think I should have also mentioned that I drove a thousand miles with my fish a little more than a week ago. Maybe this has something to do with traveling?

I'm not a mod or helper but I wanted to wish your fish well. I hope they will be okay. They are both beautiful.

Yes I siphon. And when I filled the tank I made sure to press the sand so there were no air pockets.

I think I should have also mentioned that I drove a thousand miles with my fish a little more than a week ago. Maybe this has something to do with traveling?

so you moved? was the canister emptied out when you did this? was the media kept in a safe place and moist?

Do you know the ph of the other tank spot?

Yes, I removed the filter media and placed it in a container with a portable air pump. My fish traveled in a cooler - also with a portable air pump.

The tap and tank pH were exactly the same in both places.

Even the sand was kept moist in a container.

I'll go ahead and add that I have seen both of these fish sitting on the bottom. But neither of them stay on the bottom for too long, and they become active whenever I approach the tank. Poop looks normal, and as stated before, everyone has a good appetite. I don't really know what to make of this.

Now the oranda with the bulging eyes is sitting on the bottom.

:( I'm so sorry to hear about your fish! I'm not a mod so I have no idea if this is correct:

Could it be possible that the fish had/have flukes and that the bottom sitting is from secondary infection? She is using Prazi and they didn't bottom sit until later in the treatment...? Just wondering :)

Checked on the fish this morning. No one is sitting on the bottom. Everyone is very active and eating but the red bulge is bigger. The other oranda's eyes are still popping out. Maybe they were just sleeping when I checked on them yesterday.

I will probably do a large water change today or tomorrow and do another round of prazi and salt.

How many days has it been since the first day of the last round of Prazi?

Edited by Mernany