Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
eightwonders

Pond Filter Media

7 posts in this topic

Hello all! I am more than sure there is already something about his topic started, but I just couldn't find anything. I have a 70 gallon rubbermaid stock tank that I keep outside. I have had the fancies outside now for many months, but just upgraded to the rubbermaid stock tank this last month. I don't have much of a filtration system, I have a small submersible filter that I keep the return end above the surface for a "water fountain" effect to add aeration and water movement... and it works surprisingly well. I have 3 water lily plants that are finally starting to really take off and grow strong and healthy. I have many flag iris plant bulbs in the water, too. I would love to do a DIY filter. I don't think I will have any troubles finding a good pump, especially one that would be 10x the filtration since it is a smaller garder pond. I've kept an eye on eBay (as I buy and sell on there) and see plenty of good quality pumps go for much less than they should. I'm more interested in the actual filter set up itself. What would be the best media to put in a outdoor tank? Etc.. Just something to get my mind jogging as I am very good with this DIY stuff :) Any links to other forums like this one would be fabulous too!! Thanks everyone!!

This photo here is a few weeks ago... After I get the tank cleaned up today, I will have to post another photo so you all can see just how much that water lily in the photo has grown.. (I love before and after photos!!)

70gal006.jpg

And here it is this morning, we have having pretty cloudy/wet/ weather this morning...

null.jpg

It's looking great! I've provided you a link for some very informative DIY sumps from our very own Shakaho. She also is a regular and can help you along with any questions that are needed. I have little 5 gal sumps so I just buy sponges and I also use some Matrix (just cause I bought some to help out during a vacation). Her explanations on the type of media you can use are also in the posts. :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/diy-projects/pond-filter-system-for-the-40b-r280

Also in the articles section there is a DIY section that can give you options :)

I love your little garden pond and lily. :thumbup2: I bet your fish love it! Do you cover it with netting?

Please don't get a pump that does 10X the volume, that's for a HOB filter. Your fish will think they are in a blender. For your 70 gallon stock tank, get a pump that does ~ 250 gph, and build a filter in a 5 gallon bucket like in this link. I strongly recommend you also set up the continuous water change system in the same thread. The same general principles are used in this little bog filter. A bog filter uses gravel as its filter medium.

A submerged filter works OK for a while, but your little pond is stocked very heavily, and you will soon find it hard to maintain. My first 100 gallon pond with a little box filter worked well for the first six months, but after that much time the little 13 cent fish were getting big and the pond was getting cruddy. I knew it was time to make an external filter. I used a ~10 gallon flowerpot from IKEA. Here's a picture of it:

DSCF0070.jpg

Here it is filtering the stock tank that I put the fish in while I rebuilt the original pond:

DSCF0123-4.jpg

I think it's now on its 5th pond and going strong.

Do you ever have to clean those things out?

I have a dump valve in all of the filters. If you drain the water weekly, they stay clean. I don't get around to that and maybe clean the filter once a month. I keep the filter media in bags, so really the easiest way to clean is to drain the water using the dump valve, pull out and rinse the bags of media, hose the crud out of the matala, and put it back together. It is important to clean the pump regularly since this can clog up and fail, particularly if you don't have a prefilter.

I'm not about to take apart a gravel bog filter to clean it. I just drain the water and pour a couple of buckets of pond water in the top and drain that.

Some people never clean their filters, and some clean them maybe 1-3 times a year.