Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kaylaj2355

How long do you keep your Repashy?

Hi all! On the Repashy Soilent Green directions, it says to refrigerate leftovers and treat as fresh food. My question is, how long do you all keep it? Mine has been good for a while and seems the same as when I made it, but that was probably about a month and a half ago.

i don't make enough to last for more than a month. and i only keep 2 days feed in the fridge.. the rest in the freezer.

i don't know about keeping it refrigerated for 1.5 months. i know that i wouldn't keep food that i made for myself for more than one overnight in the fridge. if it's not eaten the next day, it gets thrown out.

also, i defrost the next two days feed of Repashy in the fridge, so really, it never gets to room temperature, ever.

Hi all! On the Repashy Soilent Green directions, it says to refrigerate leftovers and treat as fresh food. My question is, how long do you all keep it? Mine has been good for a while and seems the same as when I made it, but that was probably about a month and a half ago.

Do not feed your fish 1.5 month old repashy. It says 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer :).

I keep it just like any normal food. Since it's mainly plant-based, 6 months freezer like it recommends, and no more than 3 weeks in the fridge.

1.5 months is too long. I've kept it in the back of the fridge for around 2 months without feeding (forgot about it) and it was growing

I make a small amount to last 3-4 days each time. It's so easy to make and easy to make small batches :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I make one batch and divide it into about 10 tiny tupperware containers which I immediately put into the freezer. I defrost a new container each week on Monday in the refrigerator and then toss it on Sunday.

I usually make a batch that's enough to feed for 2 weeks. I would not keep anything longer than that though.

Don't worry guys, my fish aren't actively eating it! :) I have a floaty ryukin so I stopped the Repashy while I figured out what the issue was. Thanks for all the responses! I've been farm-trained to not listen to expiration dates generally xD I am working on a block of cheddar cheese that I bought in probably March. I also have a vacuum seal system (best investment ever, OMG) and that makes things last a while longer than the package generally indicates. Just don't want ya'll thinking I'm eating food out of the back of my fridge :rofl

Any tips for making it in small portions? I'm even thinking of using an ice cube tray if that would work. I just generally boil water in a measuring cup in the microwave and stir the powder in before letting it set in a glass dish to cool. I just don't use very much at all...maybe an ice cube sized piece a week. Usually, not even that much!

I'm wondering if Super Green might work better as a staple since I can't give floaty ryukin the Soilent Green anymore. I wonder if it would make him float less. In a perfect world, I'd love for my goldies to all eat the same things :)

For small portions I use those little tupperwares designed for dressing. I use a tablespoon since it is a 3:1 ratio I do 1 tablespoon of repashy to 3 tbsp of water), I microwave this for 10-15 sec, allow to cool then slice it up into tiny cubes in the container

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds easy enough, thank you Tithra! :)

These are the directions straight from the Repashy store. I have taken the liberty to bold the most relevant part.

DIRECTIONS: To prepare one cup of product, add ¼ cup of powder into ¾ cup of cold water and stir until blended. Microwave until it starts to boil (typically 2-3 minutes), remove and stir. Alternatively, bring water to a boil on stove, remove from heat, and stir in powder. Immediately pour into a storage container or mould, and let sit at room temp until firm. The finished gel can be cut into cubes, shredded, or used as a whole slab. Whatever is not used immediately should be treated as fresh food. It can be stored sealed in refrigerator for up to two weeks, and in freezer for up to six months. To adjust firmness of gel, use more or less water as desired.

As you can see, the most that you should leave the food in the freezer is 2 weeks.

I actually make enough to last me a maximum of 7 days. Most of the time, it's more like 5 days.

I make enough to last about a month and a half, but it all goes straight into the freezer. I take out a couple cubes at a time and defrost them before feeding.

I think I will switch to making them every two weeks and keeping them in the fridge to avoid the defrosting step, but I so dread the smell of repashy when cooking D:

Thanks guys! I read the directions and all, but like I said, some expiration dates are pretty flexible so I thought I'd ask all the same :)

Ugh, it is a horrible stench xD