Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
4prettyfish

Feeding time with plants in your tank

I've thought of making these questions more of a poll questionnaire but decided to just get your feedback on what you do.

I have been wondering what you do when it comes time to feeding your fish if you have a lightly planted tank or even a heavy planted tank. I recently bunched up about 4 tall artificial plants (3 silk, 1 plastic) into my 55g tank and put them kind of towards the left side of the tank. So it is now one large/huge plant. I think it looks real pretty and in my opinion better then having them distributed throughout the tank. To me it almost looks real. (sorry no photo) :( I see the fish swimming through an opening of the leaves and in back of the plant. I love it!

When I feed my fish I make a conscious effort to make sure the food does not drop into the plants. 90% of the time I also turn off the filters just so the food doesn't drift into the leaves or get sucked up in my strong filters. I'm afraid the fish won't get to the food or see it hiding in the leaves. I like to watch my fish eat all of their food before I do something else. (maybe it's a control thing. ha ha :) Eat your food and don't waste it.)

My questions to you are:

Do you drop the food away from your plants like I do?

Do you drop the food anywhere in your tank and if it goes in the plants no big deal?

Do you leave your filter on or off?

Do you watch your fish eat all of their food also before you leave their tank. :)

I'm just kind of curious. I've seen tanks that are heavy planted and wondered what you do along with the lightly planted aquariums. I do kind of know that when your tank is heavy planted you don't really have any choices. Right? Do you ever worry about waste or you just know the filters are eventually going to pick it all up?

Thanks for you input in what you do. :)

I leave everything running as usual, and just drop in small amounts of food at a time so that it's nearly all eaten before it has time to hit the floor :) I also drop the food in right at the front of the tank, so any that does reach the floor is easy for them to get to :)

I drop the food away from the filter, which is sort of on some plants. If it goes in between plants, they tend to find it anyway! They appear to enjoy looking for food under and around plants. :o

I leave my filter on except for when I'm feeding anything shredded that may fly around. For example, I just fed shredded carrots. I use the fine and thicker part of my cheese grater so I turn it off because finely shredded carrot bits might fly into the filter. Otherwise, I feed Hikari which I pre-sink in a measuring tablespoon with water and it usually stays on the substrate.

Lately I watch my fish because I have a very little one (Suri) and a larger fish (Chai). I want to make sure that the little one gets enough food.

Anything that my filter doesn't pick up, I will by sweeping it towards the filter intake or when I syphon the bottom of the tank. :)

I love this question(s). I feed in the same place every time so the fish are revved up to eat! I let the food fall where it may and if it falls on the plants and in between rocks and pebbles I am convinced they like the hide and seek of finding it! :)

I always leave the filter on if feeding pellets or frozen brine shrimp or frozen blood worms. However, I've been feeding blanched spinach nearly everyday and that gets crazy. I turn the filter off for that because it wants to suck it up too fast. They eat it like little piranha and shake there heads and bits are flying everywhere.

I do not watch them eat all their food, but I do go back to check that the food has been eaten within 5 min. Usually its gone within, 30 sec. :Scoff:

Edited by Flipper

I have my plants and two filters at the back of the tank, so I drop the pellets in the front.

The fish usually don't even give the darn things a chance to sink, so I am holding onto them under the water for a few seconds to get them nice and saturated with water... to counteract the floating issues they get at times.

I am pretty sure they miss a few of them, but the weekly water change with my water vacuum-pump...thingy, takes care of any leftovers that have been left behind.

:)

I put small amounts if food and the front o f the tank and

I leave the filter on :)

I have an open unplanted area in the front of the tank. I always make a conscious effort to drop food in this area of the tank so it is easily found.

Do you drop the food anywhere in your tank and if it goes in the plants no big deal?

Like you, I don't want food to fall back where it is heavily planted. One would think 'they're goldfish, they are always foraging around and will find it' however, I have had a couple instances where I found old pellets that had gotten stuck in one of my swords and had become fuzzy, so I always try to keep them out of the plants now. Ultimately, I don't think it is a huge deal though... more than likely the fish will find most of the food and what they don't you'll clean up at water change time.

I have never turned my filters off for feeding, I have never had a need to.

Do you watch your fish eat all of their food also before you leave their tank. :)

Typically I watch the fish eat all the food simply because it is fun, but there are times like in the morning that I throw the food in and walk away.

Do you ever worry about waste or you just know the filters are eventually going to pick it all up?

the one thing that I hate about having a planted tank is the amount of waste/debris. My filters simply do not suck up the poo like they used to when my tank was bare bottom because the plants create places with no current and poo and plant debris gets stuck between the plants. To combat this (for my own neurotic sanity) I have started doing more frequent small water changes just to suck up any noticeable debris throughout the week in addition to my big water change.

I don't worry where I drop the food as long as it is not near an intake. They are foragers and will find it. :)

I leave everything running as usual, and just drop in small amounts of food at a time so that it's nearly all eaten before it has time to hit the floor :) I also drop the food in right at the front of the tank, so any that does reach the floor is easy for them to get to :)

Thanks for your input. And your new planted setup is beautiful. When I drop the food some of it goes in their mouths and some hit the bottom.

I drop the food away from the filter, which is sort of on some plants. If it goes in between plants, they tend to find it anyway! They appear to enjoy looking for food under and around plants. :o

I leave my filter on except for when I'm feeding anything shredded that may fly around. For example, I just fed shredded carrots. I use the fine and thicker part of my cheese grater so I turn it off because finely shredded carrot bits might fly into the filter. Otherwise, I feed Hikari which I pre-sink in a measuring tablespoon with water and it usually stays on the substrate.

Lately I watch my fish because I have a very little one (Suri) and a larger fish (Chai). I want to make sure that the little one gets enough food.

Anything that my filter doesn't pick up, I will by sweeping it towards the filter intake or when I syphon the bottom of the tank. :)

Thank you for your input. I never thought of shredded carrots. I may have to try it.

I love this question(s). I feed in the same place every time so the fish are revved up to eat! I let the food fall where it may and if it falls on the plants and in between rocks and pebbles I am convinced they like the hide and seek of finding it! :)

I always leave the filter on if feeding pellets or frozen brine shrimp or frozen blood worms. However, I've been feeding blanched spinach nearly everyday and that gets crazy. I turn the filter off for that because it wants to suck it up too fast. They eat it like little piranha and shake there heads and bits are flying everywhere.

I do not watch them eat all their food, but I do go back to check that the food has been eaten within 5 min. Usually its gone within, 30 sec. :Scoff:

Thanks for loving my questions. :) I've been wondering lately. Fun to hear what others do. That's why I turn off my filters also...the food sometimes will get sucked up before the fish see's it because they are all eating it elsewhere.

I have my plants and two filters at the back of the tank, so I drop the pellets in the front.

The fish usually don't even give the darn things a chance to sink, so I am holding onto them under the water for a few seconds to get them nice and saturated with water... to counteract the floating issues they get at times.

I am pretty sure they miss a few of them, but the weekly water change with my water vacuum-pump...thingy, takes care of any leftovers that have been left behind.

Thanks for your input. I have a little 1/4 yellow measuring cup that I dunk in tank water and then put my pellets in for several seconds before dunking it in the tank again to feed the fish. I swear when my fish see that little yellow measuring cup they can't get to it fast enough. They know it means FOOD. ha ha

I put small amounts if food and the front o f the tank and

I leave the filter on :)

Thanks Gustave for your input. I appreciate it.

I have an open unplanted area in the front of the tank. I always make a conscious effort to drop food in this area of the tank so it is easily found.

Like you, I don't want food to fall back where it is heavily planted. One would think 'they're goldfish, they are always foraging around and will find it' however, I have had a couple instances where I found old pellets that had gotten stuck in one of my swords and had become fuzzy, so I always try to keep them out of the plants now. Ultimately, I don't think it is a huge deal though... more than likely the fish will find most of the food and what they don't you'll clean up at water change time.

Typically I watch the fish eat all the food simply because it is fun, but there are times like in the morning that I throw the food in and walk away.

Do you ever worry about waste or you just know the filters are eventually going to pick it all up?

the one thing that I hate about having a planted tank is the amount of waste/debris. My filters simply do not suck up the poo like they used to when my tank was bare bottom because the plants create places with no current and poo and plant debris gets stuck between the plants. To combat this (for my own neurotic sanity) I have started doing more frequent small water changes just to suck up any noticeable debris throughout the week in addition to my big water change.

Thanks for your input on all this. You do more water changes? Didn't you use to do them every 3 to 5 days? Maybe that is what I am also, Neurotic. :)

I don't worry where I drop the food as long as it is not near an intake. They are foragers and will find it. :)

Thanks for your input. I don't drop food near the intake either but the food seems to find a way to get there "sometimes".

Beware of fuzzy pellets! :yikes That would be a bad find in the tank.

When I did my WC yesterday, I picked up my Anubias rock and half a leaf of spinach was still under it :tantrum I totally hear you with the pockets of no current. They are a big bummer :mad:

That was actually one of the many reasons I transitioned to hand feeding :) I just don't let food drop anywhere, ever. My fish only poop in the plants, though :o

I still do my big water changes every 3-5 days, but I have also been doing a couple little ones in between that (just enough to suction visible debris from around the plants). I feed pretty heavily, so my fish tend to poo a lot. I also have a few plants that aren't doing so hot right now, so dead/dying leaves on the tank floor has become a normal thing recently.... some of these stem plants are tough! :P I don't like the look of the debris on the tank floor so I have resorted to these quicky water changes as a general clean up measure throughout the week.

I try to drop all food so that it sinks towards the front of my tank, away from the rocks and plants. I have Tele's so there's no catching food before it hits the bottom, I would be quite excited to see that from my two girls! :teehee Sometimes one or two pieces will drift (I dont turn my filters off) and become hidden, but my fish will eventually find it. I'm more worried about them tearing my Anubias apart trying to get to the food than the food going unnoticed! :rofl

thats what i do also, just leave everything running, keep them comfy, i dont think that the food will fall in the leaves

I drop the sinking pellets and Repashy bits in the front away from the plants and filter intakes. For the frozen stuff, like bloodworms, I use the cone feeders to keep them out of the filters and plants.

That was actually one of the many reasons I transitioned to hand feeding :) I just don't let food drop anywhere, ever. My fish only poop in the plants, though :o

Pooping in the plants is good though. ha ha That is funny. :)

I still do my big water changes every 3-5 days, but I have also been doing a couple little ones in between that (just enough to suction visible debris from around the plants). I feed pretty heavily, so my fish tend to poo a lot. I also have a few plants that aren't doing so hot right now, so dead/dying leaves on the tank floor has become a normal thing recently.... some of these stem plants are tough! :P I don't like the look of the debris on the tank floor so I have resorted to these quicky water changes as a general clean up measure throughout the week.

Got it! Sorry your plants aren't doing good at this time. I appreciate your responses tithra.

I try to drop all food so that it sinks towards the front of my tank, away from the rocks and plants. I have Tele's so there's no catching food before it hits the bottom, I would be quite excited to see that from my two girls! :teehee Sometimes one or two pieces will drift (I dont turn my filters off) and become hidden, but my fish will eventually find it. I'm more worried about them tearing my Anubias apart trying to get to the food than the food going unnoticed! :rofl

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it all because I wanted to know what everyone does.

thats what i do also, just leave everything running, keep them comfy, i dont think that the food will fall in the leaves
Thank you for your input. I've had some

I drop the sinking pellets and Repashy bits in the front away from the plants and filter intakes. For the frozen stuff, like bloodworms, I use the cone feeders to keep them out of the filters and plants.

food go into the leaves in my tanks and I didn't like it. So I thought I'd see what all you had to say about this topic. :)

I have a cleared area in both tanks where I try to concentrate a good chunk of the food there. However, because I like to encourage my fish to use all areas of the tank, I also make sure that some of the food lands at other areas in the tank. Since I've done this, the tank has been even livelier than before, and I enjoy watching them dig around, even when it's not dinner time. :)

I do turn the filters off when I feed frozen brine shrimp and blood worms.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. I have one of those ring thingy's and the fish don't really know what to do with it. Grant it, I've only used it a few times.

I have a cleared area in both tanks where I try to concentrate a good chunk of the food there. However, because I like to encourage my fish to use all areas of the tank, I also make sure that some of the food lands at other areas in the tank. Since I've done this, the tank has been even livelier than before, and I enjoy watching them dig around, even when it's not dinner time. :)

I do turn the filters off when I feed frozen brine shrimp and blood worms.

Thanks Alex. Ever since I got my smaller tank (34g) the food was going all over the tank because the filter is so strong. I noticed that the fish were swimming all over the place looking and finding food. I kind of liked it. I've had to turn off the filter on this tank also because the food would go up into the intake tube. Since these 3 months or so I've been trying to change up the eating area in the 55g tank. I've been putting it in the one side half of the tank. Away from my big plant that I was talking about.

Thanks everyone for your input. It sounds like a lot of us try not to drop food in the plants for whatever reason we have. So it's good to know that I'm doing what you are doing.........more or less. Thanks.

Keep posting please if you haven't and you want to share what you do. :)

I drop my food in the very front and sides of the tank,but have recently added some shrimp that come and grab the food that gets into the nooks and crannies of my rock/plant formation.

I aim for the front and sides away from the plants and rocks...but some of it goes there anyway...

I leave everything running and feed away from the filter intakes as much as possible.

Do you watch your fish eat all of their food also before you leave their tank.

Yes I enjoy watching them have their meals,more so now since I added the shrimps too and love their antics ;) lol

Thanks for your input. I have a little 1/4 yellow measuring cup that I dunk in tank water and then put my pellets in for several seconds before dunking it in the tank again to feed the fish. I swear when my fish see that little yellow measuring cup they can't get to it fast enough. They know it means FOOD. ha ha

My two are just as ravenous!

Like they never saw food before...they even look at me when I'm having lunch near the tank.

...can we give them ham sandwiches? :rofl

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. I have one of those ring thingy's and the fish don't really know what to do with it. Grant it, I've only used it a few times.

Check this out:

th_VID_20130517_183515_214.jpg

I drop my food in the very front and sides of the tank,but have recently added some shrimp that come and grab the food that gets into the nooks and crannies of my rock/plant formation.

I aim for the front and sides away from the plants and rocks...but some of it goes there anyway...

I leave everything running and feed away from the filter intakes as much as possible.

Do you watch your fish eat all of their food also before you leave their tank.

Yes I enjoy watching them have their meals,more so now since I added the shrimps too and love their antics ;) lol

Thank you for your input. Your like most of us also then. lol We all try to stay away from plants and filters. :) When watching them eat it gives me time to ck to make sure they aren't acting strange/sick, see nothing unusual on skin/scales.

My two are just as ravenous!

Like they never saw food before...they even look at me when I'm having lunch near the tank.

...can we give them ham sandwiches? :rofl

You can give me a ham sandwich. ha ha ha