Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
opis_fin

DIY Automatic Water Changer

Hi ladies/lads,

Do any of you have your own automatic water change system going?

My partner and I have tried the python but dislike the amount water wasted (we currently don't have water storage tanks we could use), we have had manual siphons which have all broken on us with use...

We are looking into a decent sump setup etc, however that may be a while off yet. We kinda need something this weekend, we would prefer to not have to go out and get another manual siphon!

Halp? :)

Have you tried using the python, but shutting the tap off after the initial siphon has started? That is how I use my python-style changer, and it keeps on draining, even with the water shut off at the tap. I just toss the hose/cleaning end in there, turn the water on from the tap in the fill position for a few seconds, to get all of the air bubbles out, switch the valve to drain while letting the water keep running at the tap for about 15 seconds, to make sure the siphon is going nice & strong, and then just turn the water off, all together. Then just fill as normal. Still works just fine, with the 25 ft hose. Very little water wasted. Give it a try that way, if you haven't already!

I also use mine to drain without water. In the warmer months I drain it out the door into the garden, and in the cooler months I drain it into the shower drain. Unlike many people here that use a pump to get it started, though, I actually start it up the old fashioned way. (You've got plenty of time to remove your mouth from the siphon, by the way. :rofl ) I use the sink attachment only when filling the tank or when I need a little extra suction power.

Have you tried using the python, but shutting the tap off after the initial siphon has started? That is how I use my python-style changer, and it keeps on draining, even with the water shut off at the tap. I just toss the hose/cleaning end in there, turn the water on from the tap in the fill position for a few seconds, to get all of the air bubbles out, switch the valve to drain while letting the water keep running at the tap for about 15 seconds, to make sure the siphon is going nice & strong, and then just turn the water off, all together. Then just fill as normal. Still works just fine, with the 25 ft hose. Very little water wasted. Give it a try that way, if you haven't already!

[/quote I've tried draining my tank water without having the tap water run and it was taking my tank way toooo looonnnng. I think I will have to try again. (I tried it once and gave up) So thanks Jamie. I'm going to give it another try.

I did it again. I keep posting (like third time) in people's square instead of mine. UGH. I need to be more alert. :) See two lines above this. Edited by 4prettyfish

I have the aqueon water changer and a part cracked a few weeks ago. I just ordered that whole thing that you attach to the faucet instead of buying the whole darn thing/product again. I've read somewhere on youtube or somewhere else on the computer that you can go to the hardware store and make your own and it won't fall apart as easily because I think that most, if not all parts will be out of a much harder plastic or metal. I keep telling myself that I'm going to go to a hardware store and show an employee that I want all these parts (show him my aqueon) to make a stronger one. I have not done this yet. One day.........................

Try the Automatic Water Changer from jehmco.com - I have one like this and I've had it for several years - never broke. It attaches to your python hose or garden hose plus it will only drain upto the height of the pump so if you ever forget for a moment that you're draining your tank, there would still be a 2 - 3" of water left for your goldies. Might be a little expensive but its worth the investment.

(JSSSP-FGH)

Super Safety Siphon 580 gph pump w/ 3/4 “ Female swivel Garden hose adapter

Try the Automatic Water Changer from jehmco.com - I have one like this and I've had it for several years - never broke. It attaches to your python hose or garden hose plus it will only drain upto the height of the pump so if you ever forget for a moment that you're draining your tank, there would still be a 2 - 3" of water left for your goldies. Might be a little expensive but its worth the investment.

(JSSSP-FGH)

Super Safety Siphon 580 gph pump w/ 3/4 “ Female swivel Garden hose adapter

Now that is pretty neat!

I see that they have an auto fill device, too, that turns off when the water gets near the top of the tank. It's $$$, but boy, that would eliminate my ongoing fear. I overflowed my tank once, but it was when I lived in a house with a tile floor. If it happened here on my carpet, it would be a disaster! Something to save for..

Thanks for the info you guys :)

Until my fiance and I upgrade we are going with your method Jamie :) thanks for that! I didn't think of it.