Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
andyrtg

Anybody from BC Canada?

20 posts in this topic

Any idea where you can get high end goldfish in Vancouver Canada?

Oooh this is a good question :)

http://www.fishsempai.com/ Is in ontario but will ship fish throughout canada. They don't update their website but you can email them for specifics on the fish they hold right now. There are a few people who have bought fish from them and very much enjoy their fish :)

I'm not too sure about the personal shops around (because my family there are not fishy people)

If there is a bc aquarists society or goldfish society you may find some local breeders who are more devoted to breed standards than the imports in local shops :)

Thanks for the info bodoba. I messaged them last night and have not received a reply yet. Are they still up and running?

As for local breeders, I know of none in my area. I wouldn't mind specializing in some tho. :) My lionhead had babies in dec. They aren't perfect but I'd keep them because i raised them up myself. :D

There is a lionchu breeder on the forum so if that is something you are interested in, you can root around and read their info :) It would be great to have more breeders in canada! Especially ones that ship ;)

Not from BC, but hello from Ontario.

:hi

I'm from BC, too, but haven't bought fish from Van. in years. I am going to order mine from the Fish Sempai as I have bought a lot of my water additives and medicated food (when he was able to import them) from him and he is a really knowledgable man and is great at making up videos of the types of fish you are interested in so you can chose the ones you want. He now has door to door shipping too!

Hi Mr. Hyde! :)

Gran'sgoldies1 - Have you had contact with Fish Sempai any time lately? I went to their website and used the email shown there

but have not had any luck with a response yet. There fishes do look more higher end then the ones they have in van.

Argh.. accidently pressed the enter key. as I was saying.. Does that mean we are getting lower quality fishes being sold in Vancovuer? Do you know if Fish Sempai sells smaller fishes? The pictures on the website for each variety looks really big and I like to raise my goldfishes to that size myself.

Hi Mr. Hyde! :)

Gran'sgoldies1 - Have you had contact with Fish Sempai any time lately? I went to their website and used the email shown there

but have not had any luck with a response yet. There fishes do look more higher end then the ones they have in van.

Hi there Andy.

I actually have emailed them and received a few really nice replies...quickly too.

I have not purchased anything from him (yet), but it seem like they have high end fish and I have heard good feedback from others here.

The person I communicated with through email was super friendly and sent me a few follow up videos of the stock he has.

Very nice.

:)

Argh.. accidently pressed the enter key. as I was saying.. Does that mean we are getting lower quality fishes being sold in Vancovuer? Do you know if Fish Sempai sells smaller fishes? The pictures on the website for each variety looks really big and I like to raise my goldfishes to that size myself.

Not sure, but I can't see why not...they MUST have been small at one point... :idont

I think you can have them mail the fish to you, so that shouldn't be an issue (just need to pay the shipping cost of course).

Hope it works out well for you.

Which email are you guys using to contact fishsempai? Is it info@fishsempai.com? Cause if its so, i guess they dont like me. lol

I have used that email too and they have taken a few days to respond back. I hope someone can update you on a better email addy but I know they also have a phone number if you don't mind doing a quick call to get a current address as well :)

I used that one too.

Maybe I just got lucky...or sometimes they go into junk.

Happened to me a few times with folks my hotmail acct. didn't recognize..

...computers.

Have you checked fraser aquarium? They have quite a few selections.

Hi Finnage! I have been there a couple of times. I've found that they dont have the best customer service there. They always seem to look angry and annoyed when people come in. They're goldfish selection to me seems to be okay but they don't look as good as the goldfishes from fishsempai. I wish we had a local goldfish farm in Vancouver.

I'm looking for high back ryukin, ranchu, and lionhead if anybody has seen them around in Vancouver.

Finnage have you been to North America Pet Store on kingsway? I believe they are more specialized in goldfish, but due to slow economy, they don't import their goldfish as much. Most of my goldies are from there.

Hi, just read your post and yes Andrew does sell small ranchu and lionheads. He sent me two videos - one of 3-4 inch ranchus and one of lionheads. The ranchu were 20.00 each or 5 for 75.00 I think and the lionheads were 30.00 each. I contacted him in Feb. at info@fishsempai.com Hopefully this helps!

Edited by gran'sgoldies1

Yes it's true, they are not particularly helpful or friendly lol. But in terms of goldfish choices, I think they're the best in town (that I know of).

I've been to the one in Kingsway a few times but it's really hard to choose since the tanks are way overstocked. The lady there is nice though. I think she imports her goldfish from China. Her family owns a goldfish farm there but I don't know if she still imports her stock or not.

I got my goldfish from Apets in Richmond. I've seen great ryukins, ranchus, and lionheads there but I haven't been there in a while, so I don't know what they have. They are not very consistent with their stocks fyi. Sometimes they have great ones, some days they have nothing at all. It's really the luck of the draw haha...

Hi everybody. Anybody have any luck with fishsempai recently? Last I spoke with them, they were short on stock. Seems like a trend all over the area. Anybody have any idea why it's been hard to find goldfish these days?

It's the end of the quarter overseas so all shipping has slumped lately.

Hello! I'm also from BC. I know of a guy down in Oregon that breeds Ranchus. Here's his blog: http://...................blogspot.ca/

I emailed him just now to ask if he ships internationally, which I *think* he does but not entirely sure. You can look at his blog for videos of his fish, they are super cute when they are little, although I'm not sure of how high quality they are.

Hope it helps in some way! xD