Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
joel08

how long do fancy goldfish live for?

I hear a lot of different numbers. Most say 5-10 years is that true?

If you are lucky, even longer than that.

However, the average is closer to 7 yearsx I think.

The single tails do much better overall.

My goldie, White Fish, lived for 14 yrs...or at least I had her for 14 years...not sure how old she was when I got her...guessing she was under a year tho.

i heard that many lived for much longer. i can't believe that its less than 10 years. it really blows its not worth keeping fancy goldfish.

It's a fair enough span. Just anecdotally from reading posts here for two years, I don't think the majority of fancies make it much above the 5 years although some clearly do.

Aww sad! I read somewhere that they can live 30-50 if your really lucky... I guess they could have been talking about Koi too :(.

Is it just their genetics (condensed bodies) that make their lives so short? Or is it illness usually? I suppose it could be both, but I hear more deaths due to illness and life struggles rather than old age.

I want my babies to live to 50 :cry

My oldest fantail has just passed the 9 year mark, so I certainly hope she has many more years to go!

~~Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk~~

Genetics seems to play a big role. Helen has beautiful large fish and has accepted that their lifespan will not be that of a single-tailed pond fish. It is a bit like knowing that larger breed dogs do not live as long as smaller ones.

Fish die for lots of reasons. Disease strikes. We do stupid things (plenty of python accidents, forgetting to add the water treatment). The fish have accidents with decor/filters. New fish pick on the older ones. A neighbor promises to watch the fish and doesn't.

I think it very much depends on where the fish come from. If they are of poor stock, then they probably won't last very long. If they are bred from fit, healthy and good genes then they will probably live longer.

i heard that many lived for much longer. i can't believe that its less than 10 years. it really blows its not worth keeping fancy goldfish.

Worth is this strange thing that is decided by each individual person. I dare say that most of us on this forum disagrees strongly with this statement.

I'm sorry that you do not find fancy goldfish worth keeping.

Good luck with your other endeavors, and may you find them worthwhile.

There's always hibunas, comets(singletails),, wakins and watonais as goldfish breed choices.

It's very worth it to me, just like it's worth spending $150 and 5 hours cooking Thanksgiving dinner only to have it last 45 minutes :P It's value gained over quantity of time spent in my mind.

It's very worth it to me, just like it's worth spending $150 and 5 hours cooking Thanksgiving dinner only to have it last 45 minutes :P It's value gained over quantity of time spent in my mind.

Extremely well-said. Bravo!

Im not sure i guess it comes down to conditions etc aswell.

In saying that I remember having a tiny blackmoor (snacks) as a kid in a very small bowl/cookie jar. (I didnt kkow any better I was only about6 or 7yrs old when I got him)

He never grew, obviously because of tank size.

Had zero filtration etc in the bowl. But amazingly he lived in there for about 8yrs.

Then one day cleaning I dropped the bowl.

So I had to move him into my brothers bigger tank.

Less than a month later he was gone :(

I think it very much depends on where the fish come from. If they are of poor stock, then they probably won't last very long. If they are bred from fit, healthy and good genes then they will probably live longer.

yes and no :)

i have purchased some of the very best goldfish, ensuring that they are from great reputable breeders in Japan mainly, second choice China.. i have paid upto $500AU for giants from these breeders via my supplier. they are bred in fantastic conditions, great care and contest champions.. yet, the majortiy of my giants stock live for 2-3 years in my care, and possibly 1.5-2 years in the breeders care.. giving these fish an approximate 4-5 years life span. genetically modified anything = short life span. throw parasites, individual health problems etc into the mix and you have 2-4 years life span because like humans, goldfish and other living creatures are subject to individual health problems. the healthiest person in the world will catch a cold and can become subject to terminal illnesses at the drop of a hat. you can look for the best fish available today, pay the best prices for it, but that does not secure you a goldfish that will live for any certain amount of time. nor does it mean that you are a bad aquarist.

My oldest fantail has just passed the 9 year mark, so I certainly hope she has many more years to go!

good work! i have a fantail who has survived my pre koko days.. she's 8+ years now. got her from an LFS and she's been to hell & back with everything i did not know.. now, she lives like a queen! but she's starting to show ageing signs.. bless her.

My goldie, White Fish, lived for 14 yrs...or at least I had her for 14 years...not sure how old she was when I got her...guessing she was under a year tho.

awesome! i bet she loved living in your care :heart what type of fish was White Fish?

i heard that too!.. and i was really excited to enter this hobby thinking that for the next 20 years, i would be with my carefully handpicked buddies :)

i do believe that some fish will make it to long life expectancy, but that will certainly not be any fish in an aquarium that is considered 'fancy'

as for it being 'not worth it'? well, we as humans are fortunate to have long life spans.. sux when we're choosing to buy a pet.. cats live for approx 18-20 years, dogs, depending on their size can live for approx 12-18 years... goldfish.. anyhwere between 2-10 years depending on their breed and what modification that species has received. but you can't say that 'it's not worth it' because what joy they bring you during their time of living is very worth it. no matter what living creature is around us, life can end abruptly.

all we can do for any pet we buy, is to give them the best chance in life by providing what is required for them. good food, a good home and a nice maintenance routine that keeps that all in check. from there, treat any presented illness/problem and hope for the best.

I think that the lifespan of a fancy goldfish, of any living creature, is highly dependent on the quality of the home it's kept in. The most well-bred designer goldfish, if kept in poor water conditions, will likely live a far shorter lifespan than an LFS fish kept in pristine conditions.

Watch your water parameters, keep your stocking levels conservative, and quarantine all new members before adding them to your main tank. Your fish will live a long life, if you take the time to take care of them.

yes and no :)

i have purchased some of the very best goldfish, ensuring that they are from great reputable breeders in Japan mainly, second choice China.. i have paid upto $500AU for giants from these breeders via my supplier. they are bred in fantastic conditions, great care and contest champions.. yet, the majortiy of my giants stock live for 2-3 years in my care, and possibly 1.5-2 years in the breeders care.. giving these fish an approximate 4-5 years life span. genetically modified anything = short life span. throw parasites, individual health problems etc into the mix and you have 2-4 years life span because like humans, goldfish and other living creatures are subject to individual health problems. the healthiest person in the world will catch a cold and can become subject to terminal illnesses at the drop of a hat. you can look for the best fish available today, pay the best prices for it, but that does not secure you a goldfish that will live for any certain amount of time. nor does it mean that you are a bad aquarist.

good work! i have a fantail who has survived my pre koko days.. she's 8+ years now. got her from an LFS and she's been to hell & back with everything i did not know.. now, she lives like a queen! but she's starting to show ageing signs.. bless her.

awesome! i bet she loved living in your care :heart what type of fish was White Fish?

i heard that too!.. and i was really excited to enter this hobby thinking that for the next 20 years, i would be with my carefully handpicked buddies :)

i do believe that some fish will make it to long life expectancy, but that will certainly not be any fish in an aquarium that is considered 'fancy'

as for it being 'not worth it'? well, we as humans are fortunate to have long life spans.. sux when we're choosing to buy a pet.. cats live for approx 18-20 years, dogs, depending on their size can live for approx 12-18 years... goldfish.. anyhwere between 2-10 years depending on their breed and what modification that species has received. but you can't say that 'it's not worth it' because what joy they bring you during their time of living is very worth it. no matter what living creature is around us, life can end abruptly.

all we can do for any pet we buy, is to give them the best chance in life by providing what is required for them. good food, a good home and a nice maintenance routine that keeps that all in check. from there, treat any presented illness/problem and hope for the best.

I honestly have no idea. Sort of a mutt, I guess. She was a baby born of a bunch of feeders my aunt & uncle bought & put in their pond. When they had the babies they took a bunch of them out of the pond and gave them to us for our pond where we used to live. Eventually it got too cold for them in there & we had to bring them in...after that they lived inside in a tank. Orange fish lived for about 12 years & White Fish died last May at 14 years (woulda prolly lived longer but my evil beast of a Pleco attacked her and she just couldn't recover). She was huge & it was quite sad for me but she had a very good life :-)

White Fish

WhiteFish01_zps46e511ab.jpg

^ :heart

reminds me of my Elizabeth Taylor..

but this just goes to show, when you mentioned the life span, i automatically assumed that White Fish resembled more the single tail than the fancy. and there you have it. :)

I find it very sad for someone to think a fish is not worth keeping based on a lifespan that has not yet been determined for said fish. :(

Edited by Chai

they usually say that there lifespan is from 5-10 years i have heard.

I'll take 7 years! That would be awesome compared to a hamsters short lifespan.

Ugh poor fishy genetics!

The way I'm trying to look at it is if not for us people who care and love our fishies, they probably wouldn't be here today. Take care of them the best we can and they'll grace us with their presence for as long as they are able to!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I'll take 7 years! That would be awesome compared to a hamsters short lifespan.

Me too! My daughter has had hamsters and a rat that we have had to go to the vet to have them be euthanized due to diseases. Those pets we've had about a year. One of them it was just several months. It was so hard and very sad to see them suffer. I'm going to hate to see my fish pass away at some time but it will be worth it for however long we have them.

my oldest is 17 years old now and still doing well. But thats a comet not a fancy. dont know if that really matters much in the long run though. its kinda like people some of us live past a 100 some dont get to see their 1st.. it is just the way life is.

my oldest is 17 years old now and still doing well. But thats a comet not a fancy. dont know if that really matters much in the long run though. its kinda like people some of us live past a 100 some dont get to see their 1st.. it is just the way life is.

Unfortunately, it does matter, and it does matter lots.

A lot of fancy goldfish are really compacted and that affects them.

Also, I think it matters being in at a constant temp, or temps that don't go below 50 year round.