Sign in to follow this  
tithra

Seachem Replenish Review

12 posts in this topic

I have been using Seachem Replenish for about a month now (ordered from tastyworms http://tastyworms.com/seachem-replenish.html)

From the website:

"Restore and Maintain GH of salts designed to replenish physiologically relevant minerals that are removed by reverse osmosis or deionizing filtration. Replenish restores General Hardness (GH) using a balanced blend of both soft (sodium potassium) and hard (calcium magnesium) salts. Restoration of mineral content is essential since a complete lack of minerals will result in osmotic stress in those species whose osmoregulation systems are adapted to a mineralized environment. Severe osmotic stress can result in osmotic shock which will lead to rapid death.

Calcium (min)..................................................13.00%

Calcium (max).................................................14.00%

Magnesium (min)............................................1.00%

Potassium (min)..............................................0.12%

Sodium (min)...................................................0.60%

Sodium (max)..................................................0.70%

Ingredients: calcium chloride magnesium chloride sodium chloride potassium chloride"

My gh out of the tap is 4 dGH (71.6 ppm). This is actually not terrible, but a little lower than I would like. Roberts (2010) suggests that 50-100ppm is ideal for freshwater tanks. As Seachem states above, gh is important for osmoregulation. Here is a great little article by Steve explaining osmoregulation if you're interested http://www.raingarden.us/osmoregulation.htm

The instructions for Replenish say to add 1 capful (5ml) per 10 gallons to increase gh by 2.8 dGH. I have found this to be pretty accurate. Adding 3 capfuls to my 40 gallon tank gets me to 6 dGH (107 ppm). I have found this to be stable between my water changes so far. (I should also note that I tested the Replenish in a gallon of tap water as well because I use a buffer in my tank and was unable to say which was ultimately effecting my gh without testing the tap by itself, the Replenish worked as expected in the absence of a buffer)

Overall, I like this product. I do wish it were a little more concentrated... I can see I will be going through this stuff pretty fast, but it does what it claims.

Just a note: crushed coral will raise gh as well, and is certainly cheaper than using replenish. I have tried coral in the past and did not like having it in my filters and did not like the lack of control I had over how it effected pH/gh/kh. Because my kh/ph are so low out of the tap I was having to use a lot of coral to get a desired effect. I personally prefer to use a buffer to raise my kh/pH and the replenish to raise gh. I think crushed coral is a great option for a lot of people, but if it is not for you, Replenish is another possibility for raising gh! :D

This post has been promoted to an article Edited by dnalex
readjust font color

Excellent review. Appreciate your expertise and knowledge. :goodjob

What a great idea, Jess, and thanks for the review.

I am thinking of either Replenish/Baking soda, or baking soda/wondershell, or baking soda/something to raise kH and gH. I am still working on what's cheapest. :rofl

I am thinking of either Replenish/Baking soda, or baking soda/wondershell, or baking soda/something to raise kH and gH. I am still working on what's cheapest. :rofl

please let me know what you decide! :)

Does Seachem Replenish harm plants?

Does Seachem Replenish harm plants?

no. there are very few plants that need 'soft' water and a deficiency in calcium/magnesium can actually have ill effects of plants.

I've been using Barr's GH Booster, from here, for about six months. It's about six bucks a pound, and I really like it. I typically use a tablespoon per 30-35 gallon change, so it lasts me quite a while. For my kh, I use baking soda.

Actually, I order most of my plant fert stuff from here. Their macro/micro mix is great. :)

I've been using Barr's GH Booster, from here, for about six months. It's about six bucks a pound, and I really like it. I typically use a tablespoon per 30-35 gallon change, so it lasts me quite a while. For my kh, I use baking soda.

Actually, I order most of my plant fert stuff from here. Their macro/micro mix is great. :)

Thanks for the link Tammy!

I actually just got some gh booster from green leaf aquariums that I need to try out ;)http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/gh-booster.html

I actually just got some gh booster from green leaf aquariums that I need to try out ;)http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/gh-booster.html

Let me know how it goes! Buying things dry is so much cheaper! :D My next trial will be seachem safe. ;)

I've heard tons of good things about green leaf aquariums :).

Let me know how it goes! Buying things dry is so much cheaper! :D My next trial will be seachem safe. ;)

ooooh, I forgot about prime in powdered form :rofl let me know how that goes!

I like going to GLA and drooling over the co2 systems and drop checkers :P I have been trying to save up for one of their pH monitored co2 systems for awhile now, but unfortunately some more practical always comes up that I have to spend my savings on like bills :P

ooooh, I forgot about prime in powdered form :rofl let me know how that goes!

I like going to GLA and drooling over the co2 systems and drop checkers :P I have been trying to save up for one of their pH monitored co2 systems for awhile now, but unfortunately some more practical always comes up that I have to spend my savings on like bills :P

:rofl I'm coming to that point where I'm going to need a few things, and I keep putting it off. NO MORE FISH MONEY! :rofl3

Is Seachem Replenish also eligible for my 10 gal betta tank? Bettas like soft water anyways

Sign in to follow this