Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jenzaar

Prazi and salt for pleco?

Hey guys, I know I'm being a broken record today but I'm having such a hard time finding an answer on this! Also feel free to move if it's not in the appropriate place.

My tank is finally cycled ( :nana !!! ) and while we have no fish yet, we've been holding an albino rubbernose pleco hostage in a 10 gallon in recent weeks. I'd really love to set him free in the 55, but I have no idea how he'd fit into a prazi routine.

I'm reading that they do fine in Prazi, but that he may not react well to the salt.

The only thing I really did find was an old old thread which referenced a website that says 0.15% salt is okay for them, but no more. Then other people commented that they used the normal amount of salt and it was okay, where others advised against it (but never said how to treat them).

I don't know what to dooooo! :krazy:

Wait for someone more experienced than I, but I will give my 2 cents.

If the pleco is OK in the 10 gallon size wise, and I think a rubbernose would be, I would give him rounds of Prazi in the 10 gallon. While you do that, do the Prazi/salt rounds for the other fish in the 55 (assuming you have the other fish or are getting them soon). This is assuming he is not showing any symptoms that would require salt or other form of medication.

Keep in mind that it will be less prazi and less work with the WC's in the 10 gallon tank.

If you are going to be spreading out your fish purchases you will want to do seperate QT's anyway which makes it a bit of a moot point. QT each fish in the 10 gallon as you get them which will also give your filter time to adjust to the additional bio-load

I think you make a lot of good points. I had a feeling I would prazi him in the 10-gallon, just to stay on the cautious side, but as you can see I'm a little impatient at the moment :teehee

I appreciate your input! :)

I hear ya. It is soooo much easier for me to type suggestions like that than it is do do it myself.

Who knows, maybe a Mod will think I am wrong and advise differently.

While there is some difference of opinion, the consensus generally is that plecos are not salt tolerant. While they may be able to tolerant some low levels, the levels we salt goldfish to would be too much for them. Prazi is fine. I would prazi, but not salt. If you were to see signs of ich, then more research is in order--there is also a range of opinion on to what degree they can tolerate rid-ich or similar. But most of the pleco people stay away from salt, from what I can tell.

Edited by spillie

I had two albino BN plecos in a tank with a tele in qt. I decided to raise the salt to .1% and both started to bloat within the day. I managed to save one but the other passed. So I don't trust salt and plecos at all.

Oh my gosh!! Between Avepico and Spillie my decision went from, "do it!" to "Let's be cautious" to "Okay poop no let's do it the right way."

Ashlee your comment set it in stone. I'm so sorry that happened :( Thanks so much for sharing that with me, though. I will definitely keep him in the 10 gallon and put him through Prazi by himself.

I've not heard this! I Prazi'd my whole tank last month with my BN pleco in it, and the tank was salted to 0.3%. He did just fine--no problems.

I've not heard this! I Prazi'd my whole tank last month with my BN pleco in it, and the tank was salted to 0.3%. He did just fine--no problems.

I was actually going to message you yesterday about that! In my many searches for "pleco prazi and salt" one of your threads came up and I had meant to ask what you did with your plecos.

I would looove to take the chance, just to have something to look at in that sad, empty tank (and of course to give him some more room), but I'm not going to risk it.

I'm glad that it worked out for you, though! :)

No one mentioned this when I was Prazi-ing! Wish I'd known, but I guess I got lucky.

Since plecos don't have scales external parasites have nothing but skin to attach to. Salting would have to be done very lightly to thin out the slime coat so that the prazi could paralyze the parasites externally.

I don't know of alternatives to strip slime coat aside from salt but that would be something to look into for QT. :idont

I think if not using salt, just do an extended QT. :)