Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jdjn13

Super Green is here!

Title says it all really! SO excited to try the boys out with this food!! Has anyone else used it here, anyone used it as a staple??

i'm currently mixing the super green, solient green and meat pie repashy products even 1/3 mix of each. they seem to enjoy it :)

They are enjoying it to! Didn't take them long...although my lionhead is making a right mess! He has a habit of taking loads into his mouth, chewing it up and spitting it all out again!!!

Why do goldies spit their food out all the time?

I use the soilent green, but my fish love it. :D

They don't sell that here in the UK and it's very difficult to import apparently! :(

They don't sell that here in the UK and it's very difficult to import apparently! :(

That's okay, lots of people use super green here. I have a pack of it, myself. :) I'm just waiting for my current pack to finish, before I open it. ;) Repashy is an excellent product.

Well, they seem to like it other than the constant spitting! Sorry to ask again...but why do they do that?

If it's the first couple times that you're feeding it, they may just be testing it out.

I'd post your water parameters, because sometimes spitting means the fish isn't feeling so well.

Water parametres are...

Ammonia = 0ppm

Nitrite = 0ppm

Nitrate =10-20ppm

Ph = 7.6

Plus, i'm not really worried about them at the moment because they are growing very fast and haven't lost any weight etc. They are extremely active, eat from my hand regularly now. It might just be super green, after all I used to spit veggies out when I was younger :P

Well, they seem to like it other than the constant spitting! Sorry to ask again...but why do they do that?

You might want to start a Diagnosis & Discussions thread if they do this constantly with their food no matter what kind. Sounds like it might be parasites if this is the case. :(

Okay. They are eating...the food dissapears, but it's weird that they take big bites and spit it out etc. My oranda doesn't do it nearly half as much as my lionhead.

1- Start a D&D thread if you haven't treated your fish for flukes

2 - Check the temperature of the repashy. I feed my repashy a little on the cold side since they predator hide.

3 - New foods can have a 'sampling' phase among some goldfish.

Ive got loads :pp

perhaps you're cutting it too big? Repashy is more solid than the usual gelfood we make or presoaked pellets we feed them..

were they spitting out everything you fed them before the Repashy? or have you noticed the spitting food out with Repashy only?

i found that when i made gelfood with veggies, that it was softer and they could manage to chew a bigger piece. not so with the Repashy, i cut it into smaller cubes and they're happier when eating.

another thing i noticed in your reply. just because there is no food left, this does not mean they are eating it. gelfoods do dissolve in certain temperatures. so be sure that they are eating it, otherwise it will be adding to nitrate and bacteria issues in your tank.

I agree with Helen. If they are only spitting out the Repashy, maybe the pieces are too big. Goldfish often bite off more than they can chew and then spit it out if it feels too big inside. It is very easy to cut Repashy into pieces that are too big. So, try cutting it into smaller bites.

However, if they are spitting out all their food, there maybe a disease problem.

I use the super grn, Solent grn, meat pie, shrimp soufflé, and community plus. I have tropicals that eat this food. My gold fish love it.

Sometimes fish that are new spit since it is new to them. Most time they will get use to it over time. Just keep feeding it to them.

1- Start a D&D thread if you haven't treated your fish for flukes

2 - Check the temperature of the repashy. I feed my repashy a little on the cold side since they predator hide.

3 - New foods can have a 'sampling' phase among some goldfish.

My fantail Basil spit out the super green at first and then figured out it was good food. :)

Why do goldies spit their food out all the time?

My logic senses are tingling and telling me that they would do it in the same sense that we produce saliva. To basically get the food in a more digestible state and easier for them to swallow. Don't quote me on this though.